General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Can 115 vdc be converted to work off a car battery?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 07:57 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Can 115 vdc be converted to work off a car battery?

Any way to do it?
Old 03-13-2009, 11:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you mean vdc or vac?You can get an inverter to get 115vac using a 12vdc source.If you want dc then inverter to rectifier which would get 115vdc.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Magic Man
Do you mean vdc or vac?You can get an inverter to get 115vac using a 12vdc source.If you want dc then inverter to rectifier which would get 115vdc.
A very small electric motor...115 vdc

Also, another motor that is 135 vdc

I need to somehow set them both up, only one on the car at a time though, to start working as soon as the engine is running. Not the ignition, but after the engine actually starts up the electric motor needs to start.

Second hurdle: After the car's engine is shut off, I need these motors to run for 1 minute, then turn off.

Any ideas. You can PM if you want.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:15 PM
TECH Regular

What are you doing with that much dc voltage?
Old 03-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Magic Man
What are you doing with that much dc voltage?
You know what, there's no way they gave me the correct info on the power. If you're saying thats alot of power, then it must be vac, and not vdc.

These motors are the size of a cigarette pack. They provide about half the vacuum suction as the intake does at idle through the PCV vacuum line port.

These will be used to evacuate the harmful gasses from the crankcase, then through a catch can, then into the atmosphere. No more oil getting rfecirculated back through the intake.

But I need to have it operate as I mentioned above.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

It seems like there would be small 12VDC motors that would work for that application so you wouldn't have to mess with an inverter or rectifier aka "rectumfryer". Good luck, interested to see how you get it set up.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:24 PM
TECH Regular

Are these motors on the net or where did you find out about them? The operation you want is no biggie but need the real skinny on the motors.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 348 Likes on 319 Posts

You are probably looking for 120-ish VAC. For that, you need an inverter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverter_(electrical)

Any electronics or big-box office supply store sells them for your car. They plug in to a standard power port in your car and supply you with a household electrical plug on the other end. One thing with these - they are usually limited in the number of Watts they can provide, so you'll need to check the draw of your motors/device vs. what the inverter will provide you.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wssix99
You are probably looking for 120-ish VAC. For that, you need an inverter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverter_(electrical)

Any electronics or big-box office supply store sells them for your car. They plug in to a standard power port in your car and supply you with a household electrical plug on the other end. One thing with these - they are usually limited in the number of Watts they can provide, so you'll need to check the draw of your motors/device vs. what the inverter will provide you.
Don't want to use the cigarrette lighter port. I want to hard wire this into the electrical system so it becomes part of the car like other aftermarket items. I want to start the engine and have it turn on, then run for 1 minute after the engine is shut down.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DC to AC is an inverter

DC to DC is a converter

check out All Electronics http://www.allelectronics.com/
and allied electronics http://www.alliedelec.com/
Old 03-14-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.acopian.com/power-supply-...htm?search=135

forgot to mention acopian, they will most likely have or can build what you want but it may cost a couple hundred. they are pretty good with customer service so call them and inquire.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
http://www.acopian.com/power-supply-...htm?search=135

forgot to mention acopian, they will most likely have or can build what you want but it may cost a couple hundred. they are pretty good with customer service so call them and inquire.
Cool, I'll check those out, thanks.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

i don't know, i was re-reading this thread. 135 vdc, vacuum half that at idle to scavenge crankcase gases, that sounds weird. If all your doing is scavenging the crankcase, you don't need to pull vacuum, certainly nothing close to 10". All you would need is a couple cfm at most. I had a ford truck and I thought that had some mickey mouse emissions setup that had a mini electric motor which i'm sure ran off 12 vdc that pulled crankcase vapors and dumped it into the intake, i could always here it run or spin down 5 seconds after shutting off the engine. it was a 351w motor in a 1990 f250. myabe try looking that up, I think for what you want to do it would be far easier, less parts, and probably less expensive to just buy that part, it had like 1/2" heater hose hookup on each side and it was no bigger than a baseball if i remember right.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
i don't know, i was re-reading this thread. 135 vdc, vacuum half that at idle to scavenge crankcase gases, that sounds weird. If all your doing is scavenging the crankcase, you don't need to pull vacuum, certainly nothing close to 10". All you would need is a couple cfm at most. I had a ford truck and I thought that had some mickey mouse emissions setup that had a mini electric motor which i'm sure ran off 12 vdc that pulled crankcase vapors and dumped it into the intake, i could always here it run or spin down 5 seconds after shutting off the engine. it was a 351w motor in a 1990 f250. myabe try looking that up, I think for what you want to do it would be far easier, less parts, and probably less expensive to just buy that part, it had like 1/2" heater hose hookup on each side and it was no bigger than a baseball if i remember right.
Huh, I'll have to try to find one or at least check the size to see if it'll work for what I want to do.

Any idea what the name of that part is?
Old 03-15-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS6427
Don't want to use the cigarrette lighter port. I want to hard wire this into the electrical system so it becomes part of the car like other aftermarket items. I want to start the engine and have it turn on, then run for 1 minute after the engine is shut down.
You can just cut the lighter plug off, and wire it directly into your car.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
You can just cut the lighter plug off, and wire it directly into your car.
Where would you wire it to...so it will only start to run AFTER the engine is actually running. Not when the key is turned to "on", when the engine is spinning.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS6427
Where would you wire it to...so it will only start to run AFTER the engine is actually running. Not when the key is turned to "on", when the engine is spinning.
I'm no electrical engineer, but I'm thinking you might be able to save a lot of effort if you can splice in a relay to your electric cooling fan which could turn on your motor. Not sure if that would be on at the correct times for you. Maybe you just want to put it on a manually switched relay and turn it on/off when you want it.

It would not be extremely simple to get it to run only exactly when you want like that. You'd need some kind of breadboard or IC with some inputs and a timer, adjustable timer even more complex. Sounds not easy for a non EE.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
I'm no electrical engineer, but I'm thinking you might be able to save a lot of effort if you can splice in a relay to your electric cooling fan which could turn on your motor. Not sure if that would be on at the correct times for you. Maybe you just want to put it on a manually switched relay and turn it on/off when you want it.

It would not be extremely simple to get it to run only exactly when you want like that. You'd need some kind of breadboard or IC with some inputs and a timer, adjustable timer even more complex. Sounds not easy for a non EE.
I was thinking today...the PCM tells the alternator when to start charging, via the excitor wire. Maybe splice it in there.

Or, just have a temp sensor attached to the exhaust to turn on the motor after it hits like 100 degrees, that'll be in about 5-10 seconds. Then after the exhaust cools after the engine is shut down 20-30 degrees, which should be a couple minutes, it will turn the electric motor off.

I'm sure there's a very simple way to do it, but like you said, I'm no EE either.