General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

check gages light

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check gages light

One night my buddy drove my car while we were workin on his truck. I forgot to tell him i was low on fuel. Anyway he didnt run out of gas but after i filled it back up the check gages light stayed on. Not sure if its related to it being ran low on fuel but the thing has been on for a few months. Any suggestions?
Old 04-28-2009, 07:44 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by slohemi
One night my buddy drove my car while we were workin on his truck. I forgot to tell him i was low on fuel. Anyway he didnt run out of gas but after i filled it back up the check gages light stayed on. Not sure if its related to it being ran low on fuel but the thing has been on for a few months. Any suggestions?
Check guages light has nothing to do with the gas guage. I run my fuel tank down to "E" every time before I refill it, been doing that for 11 years. Never got a check guages light. But when my alternator was failing and dropped way down, it came on for that.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:25 PM
Teching In

My check gages light always came on when i was low on fuel..you mean thats not normal??? The only other thing i can think of that my idle is off..thinking either IAC or TPS is going bad. Perhaps the light is referring to my tach?
Old 04-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Launching!

check gauges light has nothing to do with the gas gauge? look in your owner's manual for the car, specifically says that it shows up when one of your dials is basically in the red-zone (ie you're damn near empty on gas or your water temp is bubbling)

OP: make sure everything else looks good on the gauges and you aren't running it bad

EDIT: i read once on here that running that low on fuel heats up the fuel pump and shortens its life, due to the fuel not being able to cool the pump. someone correct me if i'm wrong
Old 04-28-2009, 08:44 PM
Teching In

All of my gauges have normal readings. Its like the light turned on when i was low on fuel and never went back off. My fuel gauge works just fine but the damn light wont go off.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slohemi
My check gages light always came on when i was low on fuel..you mean thats not normal??? The only other thing i can think of that my idle is off..thinking either IAC or TPS is going bad. Perhaps the light is referring to my tach?
All I can tell you is....my 1998 WS6 T/A has never once put my "check guages" light on when low on fuel, or the two times I ran out of gas.

So.................
Old 04-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wtomlinson

EDIT: i read once on here that running that low on fuel heats up the fuel pump and shortens its life, due to the fuel not being able to cool the pump. someone correct me if i'm wrong
Not directed at you specifically:

This is perhaps the most over-posted crap on the net. Yes, I agree, that a pump can probably burn up, if someone was such a MORON and kept trying to start an engine that has no gas and keeps letting the fuel pump prime for a few hours. IF A PUMP WAS NOT SUBMERGED IN GAS AT ALL TIMES.

But there's a damn bucket of fuel around the fuel pump that cannot be used, therefore a fuel pump is never run dry, it sits sybmerged in gas, unless you turn the car upside-down and try to start it.

I know you just read that about the pumps, or some idiot told you that they can burn up if you run out of gas......but man, I will have a friggin party when fools stop posting that bullshit myth.

Imagine if people have to go to a repair shop to replace their pumps every time they run out of gas. It would cause a back-up of biblical proportions all across the nation in repair shops and dealerships. They wouldn't be able to make fuel pumps fast enough.

I have run out of gas twice and absolutely NOTHING happened. And it will never hurt it no matter how many times you run out of gas. Just go get some gas and pour it in the tank, and live happily ever after.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS6427
But there's a damn bucket of fuel around the fuel pump that cannot be used, therefore a fuel pump is never run dry, it sits sybmerged in gas, unless you turn the car upside-down and try to start it.
hey at least i learned something new. hence the posting "correct me if i'm wrong". anyways, are all fuel tanks designed like that?
Old 04-29-2009, 09:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wtomlinson
hey at least i learned something new. hence the posting "correct me if i'm wrong". anyways, are all fuel tanks designed like that?
I think most cars ever made are like that. I'm sure not all of them though. Just like airplanes,,,they all have a certain amount of "unusable" fuel that just cannot be sucked out.

I do know all of our 1998+ F-Body cars are like that. Ptretty sure the Vettes are too, as well as almost all new cars.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

99+ have a check gauges light for low fuel, 98 and below do not
Old 04-30-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS6427
I think most cars ever made are like that. I'm sure not all of them though. Just like airplanes,,,they all have a certain amount of "unusable" fuel that just cannot be sucked out.

I do know all of our 1998+ F-Body cars are like that. Ptretty sure the Vettes are too, as well as almost all new cars.
are you sure its not 99+?

98' had the same gas tank as the 93 and above

Quick Reply: check gages light