General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

thermostat stuck open or not there?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Default thermostat stuck open or not there?

what would cause a temp guage to read 100 degrees consistantly? either the fan is on the whole time, is the thermostat stuck open or is it possible its not there? the car is a 1987 camaro Z28 with a 305 H.O. 4bbl

Last edited by King Nothing; 07-05-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:45 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Bad temp sensor.

If you want to know if there's a t-stat in there....simply take the radiator cap off when the engine is cold. Start the engine. If the coolant immediately starts moving inside the radiator...there's no t-stat in there (or its stuck full open). It takes a good 5-10 minutes to warm up enough for the t-stat to open and start allowing any coolant to move.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LS6427
Bad temp sensor.

If you want to know if there's a t-stat in there....simply take the radiator cap off when the engine is cold. Start the engine. If the coolant immediately starts moving inside the radiator...there's no t-stat in there (or its stuck full open). It takes a good 5-10 minutes to warm up enough for the t-stat to open and start allowing any coolant to move.

did that this morning and fluid was shooting all over the place in the radiator lol never seen that happen before. i think i'm gonna head to autozone now and get a new t-stat, gasket and coolant before i go to work so i can change the fluid tomorrow
Old 07-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by King Nothing
did that this morning and fluid was shooting all over the place in the radiator lol never seen that happen before. i think i'm gonna head to autozone now and get a new t-stat, gasket and coolant before i go to work so i can change the fluid tomorrow
Shooting out all over the place???? When it was dead cold? You mean shooting out of the radiator fill neck?

Could have a seriously blown head gasket. Because the water pump can't move coolant that fast where its going to shoot out all over the place. It just moves through casually.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LS6427
Shooting out all over the place???? When it was dead cold? You mean shooting out of the radiator fill neck?

Could have a seriously blown head gasket. Because the water pump can't move coolant that fast where its going to shoot out all over the place. It just moves through casually.

sorry i meant when the car was off after i drove it for 10 minutes. i waited 40 minutes after and while the car was off i took the cap off and watched the fluid shoot from the drivers side of the radiator to the passenger side. i picked up a new t-stat today and some new coolant with new plugs and wires and a fuel filter. tomorrow i'll be draining the coolant in the morning and hopefully change the plugs and wires right after
Old 07-06-2010, 06:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i remember correctly some of those plugs are easier to change from underneath.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jam01
if i remember correctly some of those plugs are easier to change from underneath.
just lookin at it yesterday the passenger side looks a whole lot easier than the drivers side lol i think on the drivers side i'll be pulling off the intake set-up
Old 07-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by King Nothing
sorry i meant when the car was off after i drove it for 10 minutes. i waited 40 minutes after and while the car was off i took the cap off and watched the fluid shoot from the drivers side of the radiator to the passenger side. i picked up a new t-stat today and some new coolant with new plugs and wires and a fuel filter. tomorrow i'll be draining the coolant in the morning and hopefully change the plugs and wires right after
lol....I said to do it when the engine is COLD.

The coolant blew out simply because it was under pressure.

Start the engine when its dead cold with the radiator cap off.......see if the coolant starts flowing immediately. If it DOES NOT flow immediately, then starts to flow about 5-10 minutes later after its warmed up and the t-stat opens. The t-stat is in there and its working fine.

Last edited by LS6427; 07-06-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:23 PM
TECH Veteran

well i put the new t stat in with 2 new sensors on the housing and new coolant. the old t stat was rusted as **** and the gasket wasn't there anymore lol engine still stay at 100 degrees even after idling in my driveway for 5 minutes i'm not sure what to look for now
Old 07-07-2010, 03:55 AM
TECH Veteran

update: well on the drive to work i noticed the temp gauge going up and holding at approx 170. tonight i let it get higher than that while sitting in a parking lot to see if the fan would come on but i finally shut it off close to 200 and i checked under the hood right before and the fan never came on i'll be testing that out tomorrow

Quick Reply: thermostat stuck open or not there?