General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Most recommended o2 sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Most recommended o2 sensors?

Hey guys, I just picked up a 98 TA and need some help. The PO removed all four o2's when he put pacesetters and GMMG's on and never replaced any of them. The cats are removed so I'm not worried about the secondary sensors, but I do want to get the primary two on there.

I assume I'll need o2 extenders or something right? Are all o2 sensors pretty much the same? I'd like to grab some cheap ones if that's the case, but if there's a particular brand that a lot of people like, I'd like to hear about them.

Anything else I need to know? Thanks everybody!
Old 09-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Denso................period.

www.rockauto.com

or amazon.com

About $45.00 at both places.

Just get the ones with the longest wires and zip-tie the extra to the frame. They are all identical except for the wire lengths, the sensors will work in any position.

If you go to the dealership for AC Delcos....you will get Densos in an AC Delco box....but they will cost upwards of $180 each.....same exact sensors.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Launching!

What makes the Denso sensors choice? I'm seeing #2344000 on rock auto that looks like its a universal fit, but then there are other Denso's like #2344087 that say they're only for the left or right sides. Why are they cheaper - what's the difference what side it goes on?

Then there's some "Standard Motors Products" brand sensors for like 15 or 20 dollars less. Are these really shitty? I'm on a bit of a budget so I'm trying to be frugal, but I don't want to go replacing things twice.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Denso................period.

www.rockauto.com

or amazon.com

About $45.00 at both places.

Just get the ones with the longest wires and zip-tie the extra to the frame. They are all identical except for the wire lengths, the sensors will work in any position.

If you go to the dealership for AC Delcos....you will get Densos in an AC Delco box....but they will cost upwards of $180 each.....same exact sensors.

I got the Densos from RockAuto and so far so good!!
Old 09-12-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Gallstaff
What makes the Denso sensors choice? I'm seeing #2344000 on rock auto that looks like its a universal fit, but then there are other Denso's like #2344087 that say they're only for the left or right sides. Why are they cheaper - what's the difference what side it goes on?

Then there's some "Standard Motors Products" brand sensors for like 15 or 20 dollars less. Are these really shitty? I'm on a bit of a budget so I'm trying to be frugal, but I don't want to go replacing things twice.
I got one of each of these... I can't comment on the universals though.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Launching!

Well amazon doesn't have a better price, nor does anywhere else so I guess I'll grab one for each side. Was the wiring long enough to work with headers (which I'm only assuming you guys have), or do I need wire extenders?
Old 09-13-2010, 08:40 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A s I said above.....the sensors are IDENTICAL. The only difference in prices and part numbers are because of different wire lengths. Get the 2344087 and use them for any position.....zip tie the extra wire to the frame.

I have LT's and the length is long enough for both sides, sensors in the collectors.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well amazon doesn't have a better price, nor does anywhere else so I guess I'll grab one for each side. Was the wiring long enough to work with headers (which I'm only assuming you guys have), or do I need wire extenders?
As LS6427 mentioned, there's more than enough length for headers.

I had some extra that needed to be zip tied to the frame.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got mine from Rock Auto as well. They had great prices on Gatorback belts too, and they ship fast.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Veteran

If PO removed both front and rear 02s he also modified the PCM; right?

If that is the case, I beleive merely replacing the front sensors in the exhaust will not do anything; you need to get the car re-tuned to accept readings from the front sensors....
Old 09-14-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

The car wont run w/out the 02's unless the have been taken out w/HP Tuners or LS-1 Edit.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:08 PM
Launching!

Boshe or OE. Many engineers have written never to put in any other 02 sensor. Basically because they are junk. And all parts are not "the same" each may look "the same" but internally they are much different. Thats like saying all oil filters are the same.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
If PO removed both front and rear 02s he also modified the PCM; right?

If that is the case, I beleive merely replacing the front sensors in the exhaust will not do anything; you need to get the car re-tuned to accept readings from the front sensors....
I was under the impression that the car would just run in open loop if it didnt detect any O2's. I didnt get the impression that the guy I bought it from knew much about the car since he had a shop do the Pacesetters and remove the sensors. Its possible the shop retuned the computer, but the damn thing runs so rich, I doubt it.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Veteran

When I bolted on LT headers I deleted (removed) the rear 02s and my PCM tune software (LS1 Edit) was used to delete them so the PCM would not monitor them for engine management purposes. If you left the rear 02s off the car and did not modify the PCM you would throw codes like crazy.

So where does this leave us?

If your car is running and has no front or rear 02 sensors in the exhaust, then the PCM was modified to run in the open loop format; right?

I assume plugging in a set of front 02s will not do anything since the PCM will still run in open loop. In effect, your PCM will not know they are there.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
When I bolted on LT headers I deleted (removed) the rear 02s and my PCM tune software (LS1 Edit) was used to delete them so the PCM would not monitor them for engine management purposes. If you left the rear 02s off the car and did not modify the PCM you would throw codes like crazy.

So where does this leave us?

If your car is running and has no front or rear 02 sensors in the exhaust, then the PCM was modified to run in the open loop format; right?

I assume plugging in a set of front 02s will not do anything since the PCM will still run in open loop. In effect, your PCM will not know they are there.
Well if thats the case, how can I go about getting the PCM back to normal after I put the o2's back on? I don't want to keep running it in open loop for longer than I have to.