General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

clunk/grinding sound and feeling

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 04:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunk/grinding sound and feeling

the car:
6 speed ls1 camaro. its lowered, pacesetter long tubes and slp dual dual exhaust.

the problem:
when starting off quickly or accelerating hard i can hear and feel what seems like grinding or rubbing. it seems like its somewhere under the driver side of the car but i cant really pinpoint the specific part of the car where the problem is.

it is more noticable the lower the gear i am in. i.e. starting off on a hill where i have to release the clutch quickly it is VERY noticable, where passing someone on the highway in 4th or 5th nothing is that noticable.

could it be something simple like a broken motor or exhaust mount? or could it be something worse?

Last edited by 68Goatboy; 09-15-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

one more interesting thing i forgot to mention was that it doesnt make any odd sounds or vibrations if i just rev the engine up in neutral
Old 09-16-2010, 10:00 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 68Goatboy
one more interesting thing i forgot to mention was that it doesnt make any odd sounds or vibrations if i just rev the engine up in neutral
If it's under the driver's seat, I would check the exhaust and see if it's shaking around. I had a 99 Trans Am that had a wonky exhaust hanger and would do this. The "grind" was it rubbing against the body and the clunk was it gettin slammed against the car under acceleration.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

rear end clunk??
or possibly damaged torque arm
Old 09-20-2010, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

mine was doing the same thing. i worked on the rear end and didnt help. then i thought it was the tranny mount. nope. i was stumped. so i just turned the radio up.lol. that is the 2 ball cure all. couldnt hear a thing after that. but seriously, it could be a number of things. its really hard to pinpoint sounds like that. just check everything out and rule them out as you go.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

if its a clunk, maybe the tranny mount?
Old 09-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Jack up the front end, see if your front tires are solid or if they can move at all. Might need a new wheel bearing.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

I have what sounds like a similar situation as you. My exhaust system is SLP LTs (old design) custom 3" x pipe, true duals under the rear end, and out the back. The noise is noticeable when driving next to another car, building, wall, etc.

The noise seems to kick in as the RPMs begin to reach 2,000. I noticed the grinding sound comes up around the same RPM area where my car would drone when my only mod was the SLP Loudmouth.

I have yet to get under the car, but I have a feeling it could be a worn motor mount causing this problem. I had never heard it in the past, and just assume that the mounts have about had it with about 74K on the clock.
-Joel