Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Power Steering Cooling Success

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 08:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Your pump assembly may be bad. How old is it?
Honestly I'm not too sure. I bought the car about 3 months ago but the motor has 106k on it
Old 10-19-2013, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The pump is actually pretty cheap, i picked one up from Autozone in 2009 and have had it on the car ever since. i have never had a problem with mine.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:13 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,198 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I could test the gun with it's current calibration (which is still the same as it was during the prior tests) on a metal container filled with liquid. I could then also test the fluid temp inside this container to inspect for any difference. This could be a reference point for the prior results that I posted.
I had forgotten all about this until I recently noticed that this thread was active again.

Anyway, I had some time tonight so I performed the test. I heated a metal pot (same matte finish as the stock PS cooler) filled with water to about 204°F, as per the fluid temp thermometer. I removed the pot from the heating source and placed it on a cool table. I then allowed it to cool and equalize the internal and external temps for a quick moment, at which point the water temp dropped to 200°F. I then took a reading from the outside of the pot, below the water line, with the IR gun (same calibration as for the PS cooler tests earlier this year), which showed exactly 198.8°F. So it seems that the readings were pretty accurate for metal.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I was so impressed with all the reading of these 21 pages plus all the other pages that also got referred that last night at midnight I ordered a PS cooler. I orderd one, so I won't have to worry about the factory going out and mixing with the radiator fluid. I got the Perma Cool 1006. My air dam is stainless so the frame rail fits me great.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:38 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This thread certainly has the tendency to suck a person right in
Old 12-29-2013, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by demonspeed
This thread certainly has the tendency to suck a person right in
Yes it does!It has good info, and anything to make my car better and last, I'll change.
I just wish I would of found this thread years ago!
Old 12-31-2013, 12:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Amazes me not on this car line only but across all of them especially diesels we get in the shop just how much trouble we have with fluid to water coolers and yet nothing changes you would think after a year of having problems some engineer would go hmm we better fix this.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:27 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 345 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Amazes me not on this car line only but across all of them especially diesels we get in the shop just how much trouble we have with fluid to water coolers and yet nothing changes
Engineers like water-to-water coolers because they are more efficient. Accountants like water-to-water coolers because they are cheap. Neither has to deal with the consequences of the choice. We have all sorts of pain, but it pales to the folks at nuclear power plants who have to worry about irradiated water/steam mixing with clean cooling water.

you would think after a year of having problems some engineer would go hmm we better fix this.
They did - they just shut down the entire factory. Problem solved.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Amazes me not on this car line only but across all of them especially diesels we get in the shop just how much trouble we have with fluid to water coolers and yet nothing changes you would think after a year of having problems some engineer would go hmm we better fix this.
I think its money related. They probably spent millions on a contract with X company to create X amount of radiators/PS coolers. Plus then there's the customer bringing their car into the shop to fix the issue, making mo $.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Ooooh do I know the battle started out with gm as a powertrain engineer out of college. The problem was I grew up in our dealership though and saw many of their stupid ideas first hand when the other engineers I worked with didn't know the difference from a torx socket to a torque wrench. They are all the works on paper should work great in the real world type. Hands on engineers that come from the trench's in the field they are working in are a hard to find breed these day's.

First LT1 we saw left me scratching my head knowing what was going to happen to the distributor only because my dad and I were and are into restoring old cars and the 35' Ford Flathead V8's had the exact same problem as the LT1 when the water pumps would start leaking.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:54 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bit of a bump but I just removed my factory cooler and replaced it with a cooler from napa. All said it was about 60 bucks counting the upper radiator hose. I did have to replace my lines as they were not anywhere near being long enough to reach the new cooler.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:41 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just figured I'd update my power steering cooler status... I decided to remove the Derale cooler I put on last year when I deleted the OE cooler. I notice absolutely no difference without it. So, I'll stand by my anecdotal assessment that all one needs is the upper radiator hose from a non-PSC car to alleviate this issue rather than going through the hassle of installing an aftermarket cooler. It's also nice not having those extra hoses running under there
Old 04-26-2014, 12:56 AM
On The Tree

why isn't this a sticky??????
Old 04-28-2014, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the new perma-cool part # that replaced 1003?
Old 04-28-2014, 06:05 PM
Save the manuals!

I just ran my car up over a curb in (what is hopefully the last of the season) a snowstorm and demolished my Perma-Cool cooler. Evidently, it does not support the weight of the whole car sitting on it...

I asked the body shop switching out the rear end and wheels I also tore up to just bypass the cooler and get me on the road. My insurance company refused and said since I have a cooler on the car, it has to be replaced before the car can be released back to me. So, I found that Perma-Cools are for sale again and I'll be getting the new 1004 to replace my old 1003. I'm not sure what the difference is, but they look identical: http://perma-cool.com/catalog.pdf#page=5

Maybe the new version is stronger and can support the weight of the car???
Old 04-29-2014, 12:23 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,198 Posts

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Just figured I'd update my power steering cooler status... I decided to remove the Derale cooler I put on last year when I deleted the OE cooler. I notice absolutely no difference without it. So, I'll stand by my anecdotal assessment that all one needs is the upper radiator hose from a non-PSC car to alleviate this issue rather than going through the hassle of installing an aftermarket cooler. It's also nice not having those extra hoses running under there
I agree, based on all my test results posted earlier in the thread, I see no reason for a cooler on a non-competition application in a northern climate. I had mine deleted for over a year before selling the car, and the pump (which was already weak and making some noise LONG before deleting the cooler) was still working.

Maybe the new version is stronger and can support the weight of the car???
I hope that you are never again faced with the opportunity to test this.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Trying to knock this out over the long weekend and have a few questions.

I went with the Derale 13224 frame mount cooler, picked up a new Dayco upper radiator hose without the cooler and extra 3/8" heater hose.

My rub is that I can't figure out how to bolt the frame mount onto the frame. Derale recommends just drilling a 9/32" hole in the frame, push the bolt through and tighten the nut and washer down on the other side. The rub is that there's no way I can see to actually get my hands on that to tighten it. The fan shrouds above prevent access from the top and I'm left with only a couple small holes pre-drilled into the frame rail....seems awfully tough to squeeze a couple fingers in there to try and tighten things up. Anyone have any tips for this?

I read the entire thread and did see the idea of drilling a pilot hole and then installing a self-tapping screw on the passenger side mount. I'm OK going that route, however I still don't have a solution to get the driver side mounted up well.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:52 AM
Save the manuals!

I used self tapping sheet metal screws.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I used self tapping sheet metal screws.
Thanks! I'll give them a shot and see how they hold up.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

are the factory rubber tubes long enought to mount a small cooler behind the air dam?

Quick Reply: Power Steering Cooling Success