See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Power Steering Cooling Success

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 09:37 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so you guys are using the pc 1006 for a powersteering cooler?
Old 06-12-2014, 08:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Just figured I'd update my power steering cooler status... I decided to remove the Derale cooler I put on last year when I deleted the OE cooler. I notice absolutely no difference without it. So, I'll stand by my anecdotal assessment that all one needs is the upper radiator hose from a non-PSC car to alleviate this issue rather than going through the hassle of installing an aftermarket cooler. It's also nice not having those extra hoses running under there
I live in Mass and I'm gonna do the PSC delete this weekend hopefully. I'm gonna try this method first, did you loop the hoses? Or just plug them off? Thanks and you were right about this thread pulling you in. I read almost every page haha
Old 07-03-2014, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

What cooler are guys recommending? Id like something small, and what are the diameters of the oem hoses that will go into it?

If I decide to run no cooler at all, can I still leave the oem psc I'm place and simply plug the lines off of it?

Last edited by Striker; 07-03-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:24 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

I recommend the cooler illustrated in Post #1. It is very durable and held up perfectly until I decided to run the car up over a concrete median. (It took a lot of abuse until 1/2 of the weight of the car was put on it.)
Old 07-03-2014, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Striker
What cooler are guys recommending? Id like something small, and what are the diameters of the oem hoses that will go into it? If I decide to run no cooler at all, can I still leave the oem psc I'm place and simply plug the lines off of it?
Don't know bout which brand but as long as it's a tube and fin, some people run heatsinks too, just not a stacked cooler.

3/8

I deleted mine, got a 3/8 x 3/8 brass hose barb and connected the two lines together.

I grabbed that at a hardware store for $4 or something.

Also got the rad hose from the 98? Camaro to replace the one with the PSC in it. That was $15 I think.

Hope that helps somewhat
Old 07-03-2014, 11:32 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,643 Likes on 1,180 Posts

If I decide to run no cooler at all, can I still leave the oem psc I'm place and simply plug the lines off of it?
Yes, this is exactly what I did with my '02 car. I just cut some very short pieces of 3/8" hose, and plugged them with bolts and clamps. This held up fine and would last indefinitely. I had planned to eventually replace the entire upper hose with one from a non-PSC car, but I sold the car before doing so.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Yes, this is exactly what I did with my '02 car. I just cut some very short pieces of 3/8" hose, and plugged them with bolts and clamps. This held up fine and would last indefinitely. I had planned to eventually replace the entire upper hose with one from a non-PSC car, but I sold the car before doing so.
Thank you RPM.

Did you notice the ps act any different?
Old 07-04-2014, 12:18 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Did you notice the ps act any different?
Not at all.

Also, my '98 didn't even come with a stock cooler, and the original pump (very low mileage, like yours) is still doing 100% fine (no leaks, no noises, no loss of power assist).

Earlier in this sticky, there is also a record of my testing of fluid temps without any sort of cooler at all, under normal city driving conditions.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was wondering about your 98 to see if it had a cooler or not.

The car is city driven and will never see the track but I would like to have the stock stuff in there, assuming it wont worsen the situation if it is blocked off.

Another member reported temperature readings from a car with and without a PSC....both were at 210F.

Last edited by Striker; 07-04-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:38 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

The car is city driven and will never see the track but I would like to have the stock stuff in there, assuming it wont worsen the situation if it is blocked off.
Check out the GM High Tech Performance article linked in the original post. From that article:

"For most people, the first time they pay any attention to the power-steering pump is when it either boils over or starts making a horrible howling noise, and this is often during the middle of an autocross or open-track day. LS1 powered F-bodies are notorious for burning up pumps. GM recognized this problem and started installing an oil-to-water power-steering cooler on the '98 SS and WS6 F-bodies, and also providing it as an option on all LS1-powered F-bodies. By 2000, the cooler was standard equipment on all LS1 F-bodies."

If you use the car as a DD or drive like a grandma, (I won't name names...) then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wssix99
Check out the GM High Tech Performance article linked in the original post. From that article:

"For most people, the first time they pay any attention to the power-steering pump is when it either boils over or starts making a horrible howling noise, and this is often during the middle of an autocross or open-track day. LS1 powered F-bodies are notorious for burning up pumps. GM recognized this problem and started installing an oil-to-water power-steering cooler on the '98 SS and WS6 F-bodies, and also providing it as an option on all LS1-powered F-bodies. By 2000, the cooler was standard equipment on all LS1 F-bodies."

If you use the car as a DD or drive like a grandma, (I won't name names...) then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

I probably put 200 miles on it the last three years so. But, I did notice something wrong either way. There is definitely fluid leaking somewhere from my rack. The bottom of the k member has oil, and not my undercoating either. I might just plug up the psc but leave it in place.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I went with a cheap autozone trans cooler and I was getting bubbles in my reservoir thinking it was too much of a restriction.

I moved up to a B&M stacked plate design with 1/2" NPT inlet and outlets. Used a simple 1/2" NPT to 3/8" barb brass fitting to adapt to factory lines.

With the cheap cooler I was getting about 156* after each auotcross run on a 80* day. But my pump was still whining and this is when I observed bubbles. Similar to shaking a bottle of water you see small bubbles. It did not boil over though. 63K mi on the clock.

Went from this:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=267252_0_0_

To this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70265

Last edited by smitty2919; 07-07-2014 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Default power steering upgrade

I read thru most of this thread and determined I should go with the Derrale 13224 cooler mounted behind the chin spoiler and install the upper rad. hose w/o the cooler part. It looks like it comes with rubber hose but does anyone know if it's enough hose or do I need more. Also, how much power str. fluid will I need to do the job?? Am I missing anything... is there something else I should have or buy to complete this ??
Old 09-07-2014, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by transamterry
I read thru most of this thread and determined I should go with the Derrale 13224 cooler mounted behind the chin spoiler and install the upper rad. hose w/o the cooler part. It looks like it comes with rubber hose but does anyone know if it's enough hose or do I need more. Also, how much power str. fluid will I need to do the job?? Am I missing anything... is there something else I should have or buy to complete this ??
I mounted mine behind my air dam cause it was easy and mine is stainless. I installed the Perma Cool 1006. I bought a new piece of hose that was longer just to be safe. It doesn't cost much.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:25 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the Derale kit I bought (before ultimately removing it) came with enough hose to use. It also doesn't add much more fluid, so one bottle is all you'll likely need to flush and refill the system.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Default power steering cooler

Thanks for the input,, the cooler and the new upper hose just came today. Looking forward to getting this one done, It's probably the one thing that hasn't happened to this car yet.. every other common problem on these birds has happened to this car -.-.-. but i still love it; maybe it's just a bad habit that's hard to break
Old 09-10-2014, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Maybe this question has already been answered. Sorry, havnt had time to read the whole post.
Question is, are there any cons to having an aftermarket cooler as far as cold weather goes? Just bought a turn one ps pump and wondering if i should keep the oem cooler or go aftermarket?
Old 09-10-2014, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

As long as you don't autocross or RR it a tube and fin will be fine.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:54 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by bluegoose177
Maybe this question has already been answered. Sorry, havnt had time to read the whole post.
Question is, are there any cons to having an aftermarket cooler as far as cold weather goes? Just bought a turn one ps pump and wondering if i should keep the oem cooler or go aftermarket?
I definitely wouldn't keep the OEM cooler, as it's just a matter of time before it fails and will cross-contaminate the PS fluid and coolant. IMO, the only two options would be aftermarket or nothing at all.

I've never bothered to install and aftermarket cooler myself, and I don't know if anyone here in the north has had trouble with over-cooling in cold weather.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:35 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bluegoose177
In your case, I'd absolutely be removing that OE cooler and not running another at all.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Cooling Success