Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Power Steering Cooling Success

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I definitely wouldn't keep the OEM cooler, as it's just a matter of time before it fails and will cross-contaminate the PS fluid and coolant. IMO, the only two options would be aftermarket or nothing at all.

I've never bothered to install and aftermarket cooler myself, and I don't know if anyone here in the north has had trouble with over-cooling in cold weather.
Originally Posted by demonspeed
In your case, I'd absolutely be removing that OE cooler and not running another at all.
I'm flushing my coolant tomorrow and might as well yank the Power Steering Cooler. If I replace the upper hose with a 1piece hose (Dayco E71981), what do I do with the existing lines? Do I need any other parts?
Old 09-12-2014, 10:45 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,661 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002 Trans Am
I'm flushing my coolant tomorrow and might as well yank the Power Steering Cooler. If I replace the upper hose with a 1piece hose (Dayco E71981), what do I do with the existing lines? Do I need any other parts?
When I deleted if from my '02, all I did was cut the rubber line down some (going from the rack to the cooler), and then plug it directly into the PS fluid reservoir. This is exactly how my '98 was setup from the factory, as it didn't come with a cooler in the first place.

The other line can obviously just be deleted.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:45 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What RPM WS6 said: take the line from the rack and run it into the reservoir. The other line just gets removed.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Default just converted mine

I feel very lucky that I got to this before my stock cooler took a crap !! ...and only b/c of this site did I know I even had one of these. Every other common problem with this car has happened to mine. Anyway, I just installed a Derale remote cooler behind the air dam - pretty easy with all the advice here. I live in Md. and it gets pretty cold but not worried about over cooling as I don't do a whole lot of winter driving. I am going to start auto X ing so I feel I'll need the extra cooling. Thanks to everyone who chimed in here.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by transamterry
I feel very lucky that I got to this before my stock cooler took a crap !! ...and only b/c of this site did I know I even had one of these. Every other common problem with this car has happened to mine. Anyway, I just installed a Derale remote cooler behind the air dam - pretty easy with all the advice here. I live in Md. and it gets pretty cold but not worried about over cooling as I don't do a whole lot of winter driving. I am going to start auto X ing so I feel I'll need the extra cooling. Thanks to everyone who chimed in here.
I just installed the Derale 24"

How the hell did anyone get the bolt and lock washer tightened? I ended up using zip ties after fighting with it
Old 10-08-2014, 06:01 AM
Teching In

Default Super easy and solved problem

Originally Posted by LS6427
Many ways to do it, this is mine: 15 minute job.

Thanks LS6427! Mine started acting up at just 30k miles, did this mod and no more boiling or overflowing the fluid!
Old 10-15-2014, 06:07 PM
Teching In

Any specific tools I need to delete the PS cooler? (line wrench, etc.)
I'm going to attempt this on my 2001 SS. Does anyone have any pictures of the cooler completely deleted with the the line running back into the reservoir? I assume it's pretty straightforward but it doesn't hurt to see a picture.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by speedychevy
Any specific tools I need to delete the PS cooler? (line wrench, etc.)
I'm going to attempt this on my 2001 SS. Does anyone have any pictures of the cooler completely deleted with the the line running back into the reservoir? I assume it's pretty straightforward but it doesn't hurt to see a picture.
No special tools. Very straight forward

Pictures would be tough, not a lot of room and weird angles. When you look at it, it'll be pretty clear what to do
Old 10-15-2014, 07:53 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No special tools. Just take the return line that runs from the rack and disconnect it from the cooler; reconnect to the bottom of reservoir -- done!

Well, you'll still need to install the new upper radiator hose (and remove the hose from the cooler to the reservoir), but it's seriously that simple.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to do this but havent found a diagram of the hose routing. So i am not sure how the hoses have to be after the PSC delete. I checked my coolant yesterday and its really clean, no brown sludge.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Chevyguy2001
I want to do this but havent found a diagram of the hose routing. So i am not sure how the hoses have to be after the PSC delete. I checked my coolant yesterday and its really clean, no brown sludge.
I just got a 3/8 x 3/8 hose barb and hose clamped the two lines together. Some people plug em off some how.
I figured if I wanted to add an external cooler at some point I'd just undo that and extend the lines.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:36 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,661 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevyguy2001
If all you want to do is delete the factory cooler, then just follow the hose that comes off the rack and feeds to the cooler, disconnect it, and attach it directly to the bottom of the PS fluid reservoir (I cut the hose down to make it a better fit). At that point, it will be routed exactly the same as the factory did for cars that didn't have the PS cooler. The other hose (currently going from the cooler to the reservoir) can simply be discarded.

You can then plug off the nipples in the factory PS cooler, or just remove it entirely by using a radiator hose from a non-cooler model (such as a '98/'99 Z28 or Formula).
Old 11-17-2014, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found another cooler that might work well. its a replacement for the older Doge Ram's.

Dorman 918-308 Power Steering Cooler
Old 11-18-2014, 03:18 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 343 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by RedDeadG8
I found another cooler that might work well. its a replacement for the older Doge Ram's.

Dorman 918-308 Power Steering Cooler
It depends on what you are doing with it. This is designed to be mounted in the airflow path, like on top of a radiator.

A frame rail cooler, like the one in the original post, will perform well outside of the direct air flow (due to its fin design) and will move air across itself passively.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2002 Trans Am
I just installed the Derale 24" How the hell did anyone get the bolt and lock washer tightened? I ended up using zip ties after fighting with it
I didn't use the hardware sent with the cooler since there was no way to get at both sides with a wrench. I drilled holes and used self tapping screws.

I am looking to replace the upper radiator hose now but am wondering if I should drain some coolant first.

Edit: I added three other pics. Two while the original P/S cooler was still in there to give an idea to others of what it looks like. The last one is of it removed. I thought it had an interesting internal design but glad it is no longer part of the car.

Thanks wssix for your info below, I found the radiator petcock and partially drained the radiator to swapped out the upper radiator hose with minimal spillage.
Attached Thumbnails Power Steering Cooling Success-image-4248892869.jpg   Power Steering Cooling Success-img_1585.jpg   Power Steering Cooling Success-img_1586.jpg   Power Steering Cooling Success-img_1589.jpg  

Last edited by ssgunny; 11-27-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:27 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 343 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by ssgunny
I am looking to replace the upper radiator hose now but am wondering if I should drain some coolant first.
Totally. You'll want to drain to a level below the bottom of where that hose attaches to the radiator.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
Totally. You'll want to drain to a level below the bottom of where that hose attaches to the radiator.
Yea drain a gallon out
Old 06-15-2015, 02:11 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks to this thread, I installed the Derale 13224 cooler when I replaced my power steering pump.
Power Steering Cooling Success-exhcy4s.jpg
Power Steering Cooling Success-x2vwegs.jpg
Fits great with 2 sheetmetal screws and the 3/8" x 3/8" hose barb back to the original return line. My car did not have the factory power steering cooler on it.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

running Derale 13200 based on info from here... The pump to cooler is good no problems no leaks... However the rack to cooler is an issue. It looked like (correct me if im wrong and this would be my issue) that the line from the rack is hard fitted and you need to use a barb to connect more hose to it to get it to where I mounted the new cooler. Now my issue is I got a 3/8 barb and its leaking. not sure why. I know the kit says it includes 11/32 but my boy measured the hose and swears its 3/8. but if anything since the 3/8 barb is larger wuldnt that prevent it from leaking more? not to mention cant find a 11/32 barb anywhere. any info is appreciated thanks ! and figured I would post in here before I created a new thread.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Power Steering Cooling Success

The cooler goes inline on the return line from rack to reservoir... there is no hardline (and no threaded line nuts) involved.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Cooling Success