Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heres mine
Name:  117.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  63.9 KB
Old 01-02-2012, 02:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been driving my car daily for the last month and I have to report no more, "leaking" power steering cap, and the power steering cooler is cool to the touch. No change in the effort needed to turn the steering wheel either. I drive an average of 70 miles a day, 50/50 city and highway.

So far, so good!
Old 01-19-2012, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jeez.. I wish some of you people lived here in Utah so I could pay you to fix my PS pump :/

I walked out to my car this morning and all of the sudden I have a horrible whining/humming. This instantly becomes a loud whine if I turn the steering wheel at all...

I've been reading a little bit and I can see the fluid is now turning into-the dexcool orange color... (At first I was like, umm did my PS just literally take a ****?)

My engine as far as cooling goes is basically all stock, but I did strap a strut bar on last night-then this happens.

But anyways, I'm going to try and read through this entire thread by tonight then I'll come back with (hopefully) better questions to ask
I have a 99 WS6 w/112k miles. Any pointers? Thanks!
Old 01-20-2012, 12:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, I read through the thread and I still have quite a few questions.. :/

I can see the orange/brown dexcool is inside my PS reservoir.

Do I need a new reservoir too?
I saw a PS pump & reservoir combo on RockAuto that I could buy, and I figure I might as well change the pump while I'm replacing stuff. (112k miles on ws6).

If someone could provide me with links to a good setup and everything I need.
I saw that I need to purchase the following things:
- New reservoir & pump
- Aftermarket cooler (that I mount by the air dam)
- Some sort of extra tube.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've been reading... The cooler is the very last part of the fluid cycle and returns the fluid back to the reservoir?

Thanks guys,
Old 01-20-2012, 03:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 777Shock777
Ok, I read through the thread and I still have quite a few questions.. :/

I can see the orange/brown dexcool is inside my PS reservoir.

Do I need a new reservoir too?
I saw a PS pump & reservoir combo on RockAuto that I could buy, and I figure I might as well change the pump while I'm replacing stuff. (112k miles on ws6).

If someone could provide me with links to a good setup and everything I need.
I saw that I need to purchase the following things:
- New reservoir & pump
- Aftermarket cooler (that I mount by the air dam)
- Some sort of extra tube.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've been reading... The cooler is the very last part of the fluid cycle and returns the fluid back to the reservoir?

Thanks guys,
If your reservoir is not leaking, then you don't need to change that. I don't know how hard it would be to swap the old reservoir onto the new pump though; I've never looked at it.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by _JB_
If your reservoir is not leaking, then you don't need to change that. I don't know how hard it would be to swap the old reservoir onto the new pump though; I've never looked at it.
It looks to be somewhat leaking...

I guess my main question is, where is it that the Power Steering fluid actually mixes with the coolant?

I'll have to look for a diagram on google or something I just really wish I could have this fixed asap..
Old 01-20-2012, 10:47 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

It looks to be somewhat leaking...

I guess my main question is, where is it that the Power Steering fluid actually mixes with the coolant?

I'll have to look for a diagram on google or something I just really wish I could have this fixed asap..
Just change all of the PS fluid and flush the cooling system and you'll be fine. (You'll definitely have PS fluid in the coolant if you have coolant in the PS system.)

The cooler should come with all the extra hose you need. You can cut the return hose short to hook up to the cooler and use the new hose to connect the cooler to the reservoir.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wssix99
Just change all of the PS fluid and flush the cooling system and you'll be fine. (You'll definitely have PS fluid in the coolant if you have coolant in the PS system.)

The cooler should come with all the extra hose you need. You can cut the return hose short to hook up to the cooler and use the new hose to connect the cooler to the reservoir.
Ok! So from the look of things, I only need these two things?

http://www.amazon.com/Derale-13200-P.../dp/B0006HNM66
And
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...GRPBELTAMS____

Will I be good with those two? or should I look for another cooler?
Thanks for the help!
Old 01-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Save the manuals!

Ok! So from the look of things, I only need these two things?

http://www.amazon.com/Derale-13200-Power-Steering-Cooler/dp/B0006HNM66
And
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product__12025447-P_13_R|GRPBELTAMS____

Will I be good with those two? or should I look for another cooler?
Thanks for the help!
No, you want a "frame rail" cooler. The longer the more cooling you will get. The frame rail coolers are designed so air doesn't have to flow over them. Some folks have had success with regular coolers, but the frame rail version should theoretically do better mounted behind the air dam.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No, you want a "frame rail" cooler. The longer the more cooling you will get. The frame rail coolers are designed so air doesn't have to flow over them. Some folks have had success with regular coolers, but the frame rail version should theoretically do better mounted behind the air dam.
What about this one?
I see this one is a little more open, and I think someone previous on this thread is using it.
I know this one isn't the longest, but should do the job if I cut a slit in the air dam.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=577703_0_0_
Old 01-22-2012, 03:10 PM
Save the manuals!

I would recommend the Derale 13224 cooler. It will fit perfectly on the rail and has barbs for attachment.

I would not recommend cutting a slit in the air dam. Its there for aerodynamic stability of the car and cutting it will impact its performance.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would recommend the Derale 13224 cooler. It will fit perfectly on the rail and has barbs for attachment.

I would not recommend cutting a slit in the air dam. Its there for aerodynamic stability of the car and cutting it will impact its performance.
Oh ok, yeah I'd much rather not cut the air dam
Cool! Well I ordered the upper radiator hose & the Derale 13224.

I'm going to run to Autozone now and gather all the fluids.
Is there a "good" way to flush the coolant/PS fluid?
(I haven't flushed either before, but I'm sure it can't be too hard).

Thanks again for all the help!
Old 01-24-2012, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed a while back my power steering fluid reservoir and hoses were wet but I never was able to find a leak. I'm guessing that means I've fallen victim to this power steering cooler and the power steering boiling over?

Also, there is small bit of whining that gets worse when I turn the wheel. Does this mean the pump should be replaced eventually? It would be the pump and not the rack that is making it whine correct, since it whines at idle a bit? If the rack isn't leaking then it should be ok theoretically, right?
Old 01-25-2012, 05:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

Name:  DSC00608.jpg
Views: 1474
Size:  96.6 KB

love mine !!
The following users liked this post:
Steven503 (02-14-2021)
Old 01-25-2012, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

Holy crap I'm glad I just discovered this thread! In the middle of a H/C/I swap but I'll be doing this before I even start the car again!

How do you guys flush the P/S system?
Old 01-25-2012, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS6427
Power Steering Fluid Flush:

You and 2 friends.

Jack up the front of the car and put it on jack stands so you can turn the wheels left and right.

Engine and fluids….COLD.

Remove the hose that attaches to the bottom of the reservoir. Immediately cap that port with a vacuum port type rubber cap so the fluid doesn't pour out. You can buy assorted cap kits at the auto parts store. Or you can use a 2 foot piece of 3/8" heater hose to quickly slip on the port and just point the other end up higher than the reservoir cap so none comes out. Tape it or clamp it in place.

The hose you just removed from the reservoir.......Point it down under the car into a drain pan. This is the hose either coming from the factory cooler (if you have one).....or its coming from the rack (if you do not have the factory cooler). Either way, doesn't matter.

Have a friend hold that hose into the pan and keep his thumb over the end and wait there. The entire flush is a matter of 2 minutes.

Have another friend with 4 new OPEN bottles of PS fluid ready to start dumping it into the reservoir.

You get in the car and start the engine.

Your friend removes his finger from the hose end and lets the fluid shoot into the pan. As you turn the wheels FULL right and left have your friend pour new fluid into the reservoir as the level drops. It could drop fast so be ready to pour. Fluid will come shooting out of the hose into the pan.

As soon as the friend holding the hose sees clean new fluid coming out into the pan.............stop the engine.
(if the friend that is pouring fluid in ever sees the reservoir about to run dry because he cannot pour it in fast enough, simply have him tell you to shut the engine off. Top it off and start the engine again. Don't let it run dry.)

Put the hose back onto the reservoir, clamp it. Top it off with PS fluid.

Your done.

CHECK to see if during this project you spilled any power steering fluid onto or into the alternator. If you did, simply drench it with WD-40 or SeaFoam spray to clean it. Then rinse it real good with hose water. Go for a 10 minute drive, take a bottle of fluid with you in case you hear any noise you can pull over immediately and top it off. Then come back and check the level one more time. Its fine to take the cap off when its hot. Top off the fluid if needed.

LS6427 has been helping me out A LOT!
This is what he told me when I asked
Old 01-25-2012, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sjsingle1

love mine !!
How did you connect the line off of the cooler to the power steering rack? What did you use? I used a barb fitting that keeps leaking. I have tried two different ones and they cause a leak. I am about to try a third one that has a different design.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

LS6427 has been helping me out A LOT!
This is what he told me when I asked
Thanks man!

It's funny, I looked in my pump the other day and thought "man that looks funky". The other day I noticed a drop of fluid on the end of the stock cooler since my junk is all torn apart at the moment and it's just hanging there. Didn't think much of it till I saw this thread and put two and two together. Luckily my coolant looked nice and clean so hopefully I caught this before anything bad happened. Car only has ~35K on it, too.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribed.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Cooling Success