Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Power Steering Cooling Success

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 08:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by guy7bmwm83
How did you connect the line off of the cooler to the power steering rack? What did you use? I used a barb fitting that keeps leaking. I have tried two different ones and they cause a leak. I am about to try a third one that has a different design.
nothing special......just slipped the hose on and it works.......mine does not leak
Old 01-26-2012, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
nothing special......just slipped the hose on and it works.......mine does not leak
Which cooler did you get again?
Old 01-26-2012, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

derale
Old 01-26-2012, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
derale
Awesome I got that one too, so mine will look good like urs
Old 01-28-2012, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did it! I got my cooler working ) (I'll snap pics tomorrow).

Now I am seeing something odd..
My low coolant light comes on even when there is plenty of fluid.
(I think there might be just a little more then there needs to be)

I have tried squeezing the hoses and that did help a little, I then added more fluid to replace the escaped air.
The light turned off for a little bit but back on

I've drivin it about 20 miles and haven't seen any overheating signs on my temp gauge.. And after driving and it's at operating temp, I see the reservoir is very high.

Any suggestions or help? :/
Old 01-29-2012, 12:44 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by 777Shock777
Now I am seeing something odd..
My low coolant light comes on even when there is plenty of fluid.
Not related but it is a common issue. Lots of threads on it.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:00 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not so sure about the previous posters reference to PS fluid deteriorating trans seal components, here's why.
I 1st experienced a PS overheat at a HPD day @ RA that the MW F-Body folks were hosting.
The PS overheated to the point that the fluid was not only on the engine but was also visible streaking out of the LF wheel well. A few reliable Camaro owners recomended using a baster to remove as much of the fluid as possible then use a Dex 111 or better ATF to top of the resevoir, yes i ended up with a mixture of the 2 fluids. Once that was done I completed 2 more sessions that day and had minimal , if any overheating issue of the PS system. The explanation was that PS and ATF have similar chemical properties. 2 years and 10+ HPD sessions later all is well and on very rare occasions do I now get an overheating issue after a hot session on a very hot day. All that said it does make sense to isolate the PS cooling but has anyone noticed a change in the ease of steering with operating temperatures in the 150-180 degree operating temperature once the system is isioated from the heat of the engine????? Not exactly sure what that new operating temperature will be.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:00 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by NoRegretSS
has anyone noticed a change in the ease of steering with operating temperatures in the 150-180 degree operating temperature once the system is isioated from the heat of the engine????? Not exactly sure what that new operating temperature will be.
Nope. The benefits come in longevity for the pump and elimination of fluid overflows. The way to change the steering effort is to change the build of the pump - but they are already over-boosted from the factory. (See the link in the first post of this thread. That link also suggests that, for racing, the way to go is to make the pump less aggressive and give more feel/effort to the system.)

If you look back through the thread, I recall that folks are finding temperatures in the 160-180 range after the cooling change.

BTW - I'd expect that PS fluid is lighter weight and kinder to the pump components vs. the ATF fluid, which is designed for heavier wear. Probably not the best thing for a daily driver.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after reading this thread I think I have everything I need. Please tell me if theres anyting else I need. Dayco upper radiator hose 71981, Derale 13224, and 4 bottles of PS fluid. Is there anything else I need? Thanks.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Teching In

OK.....for those who care.....my car is an 02 ss....my power steering has been whining for the past two years...it all started when a pump went out...i first thought ahh its nothing ill just replace it....well that didnt work long story short i ended up putting two more pumps in...still didnt fix the problem...so i drove around for a while with the whining....replacing the pumps didnt help so i ordered a rack...put the rack in...nope didnt solve the problem..so i decided to put another pump in and no were at persent time..YES my p/s fluid is the color you ppl speak of.....all this damn money and its the ps cooler....now thats solved ...should i worry about ps fluid in my coolant hurting anything ie water pump....havent checked the coolant to see if there is any ps fluid...ive had this problem over two years now....FML i wish i would have seen this a while ago...im worried about the motor its new has less than 10k mi on it...

this just adds insult to injury considering i blew two other bone stock LS1's due to a bad MAF....
Old 02-19-2012, 08:29 PM
Teching In

But.......im really goood at changing ps pumps...
Old 02-20-2012, 12:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by splitfinger09
So after reading this thread I think I have everything I need. Please tell me if theres anyting else I need. Dayco upper radiator hose 71981, Derale 13224, and 4 bottles of PS fluid. Is there anything else I need? Thanks.
In one of my posts, I needed a coupler. I'd pick one up just in case if this is your only car.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Could you measure for me the length of the hose (number 14) in the attachment? Or anyone else that still has their stock cooler attached.
Attached Thumbnails Power Steering Cooling Success-presentation1.jpg  
Old 02-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by _JB_
In one of my posts, I needed a coupler. I'd pick one up just in case if this is your only car.
What is the coupler for and what kind do I need?
Old 02-20-2012, 04:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by guy7bmwm83
Could you measure for me the length of the hose (number 14) in the attachment? Or anyone else that still has their stock cooler attached.
I dont have it apart yet but I can measure it when I pull it out.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I dont have it apart yet but I can measure it when I pull it out.
Thanks, I appreciate it. Its the hose that connects from the factory cooler to the steering rack.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the coupler for and what kind do I need?
He is referring to a union. It's to connect two pieces of power steering rubber line together. You may or may not need one from what I'm reading. Some claim there is enough factory hose to make it to the aftermarket cooler.

If you're worried, just take one of the hoses with you into an auto parts store or home improvement store and ask them for a male/male union to fit that hose.

Can anyone confirm whether the factory p/s hose is 3/8 or 5/16?
Old 02-29-2012, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how could i tell if my ps fluid is mixed with my coolant in the ps reservoir? will it be brownish? because my power steering whines like a banshee, i thought it was low on fluid but its full lol. btw ive only had the car a cpl months. i guess if they're mixed ill be flushing both systems?
Old 03-01-2012, 08:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GiggleJuiced_SS
how could i tell if my ps fluid is mixed with my coolant in the ps reservoir? will it be brownish? because my power steering whines like a banshee, i thought it was low on fluid but its full lol. btw ive only had the car a cpl months. i guess if they're mixed ill be flushing both systems?
Yes and yes. Another tell tale sign is the outside of your reservoir being wet from the power steering boiling over from the coolant getting in it.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:52 PM
TECH Junkie

God what a dumb idea that was... I guess GM did this to heat up the PS fluid quickly after start-up, same reasoning for ATF for the auto cars to run through the radiator for the tranny?

My red TA is manual with no PS cooler, so I have never had to deal with any of these problems thank God. Nothing goes into my radiator except for water from the motor.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Cooling Success