General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

air bag light came on

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default air bag light came on

I was getting in my car tonight and the air bag and service vehicle were on. Where should I start to diagnose first if this problem persists?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

Bring it to a Pep Boys (or something like it) and ask for them to hook up an OBD-II diagnostic tool to your car. It's free. They'll give you some codes that tell you what's wrong it, that you can match up to ones on a list online.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't know an obd2 scanner will read those codes. I have one at home and will check it tonight.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:06 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 345 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by mean_greenZ
I didn't know an obd2 scanner will read those codes. I have one at home and will check it tonight.
The higher end scanners will pull SIR codes. Less expensive ones will not. Your owners manual should tell you which systems it will pull.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What year is your car? I had the same issue and OBDI cars have a separate SRS circuit that can only be scanned/read with a TechII tool and does not go thru the OBD port. Mine ended up being the SRS module went bad and replaced it with a used one from a part car that had NON-deployed airbags. If you are OBDII I think it goes thru the BCM and needs to be scanned there, but not sure?

Check all the typical points - sensors, clock spring connector, module connections to make sure they are fully seated and plugged in. Once you figure out the problem, the light will go away and no codes are set or have to be cleared with the SRS system.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's a 99 obd2. My scanner is higher end than the parts store ones but I don't think it will show body codes.

Funny thing though..I got in it this morning and neither light was on. Could it have been a fluke thing?
Old 09-30-2011, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a 99 obd2. My scanner is higher end than the parts store ones but I don't think it will show body codes.

Funny thing though..I got in it this morning and neither light was on. Could it have been a fluke thing?
Probably a loose connection. I'm pretty sure the seat belt connector (driverside base) is factored into the SRS as well. Make sure you check all your connectors for a loose one.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

My car does the exact same thing. One day it will be on, and then it will just randomly shut off. I had in scanned once and it came back to be a Serial 2 communication disruption imp/dic I belive.. I may be incorrect on the acronyms, but the mechanic said he had no idea what it was.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the input fellas. I've been in it 4 different times today and it hasn't come back on. I did have my cutout open last night and maybe the extra vibration shook something while it was going through its self test. I will probably just leave it alone unless it does it again.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:20 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 345 Likes on 316 Posts

Thanks for the input fellas. I've been in it 4 different times today and it hasn't come back on. I did have my cutout open last night and maybe the extra vibration shook something while it was going through its self test. I will probably just leave it alone unless it does it again.
That shouldn't be possible. All of the SIR connections have positive locks on them. If you can get a hold of a scanner, the code should still be in there.