General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Battery or alternator problem...hopefully

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery or alternator problem...hopefully

Right now my car is a weekend town car. Recently in the mornings when its still pretty cold out it takes it a few seconds to start up. And it gets increasingly longer. But today i tryed to start it up about 10 minutes ago in 50 degree weather and it didnt. I cranked it and it started making a fast clicking noise from the engine bay. Any ideas?

P.S. its an optima battery. If i have to replace it is that the best one to go with?
Old 02-03-2012, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

clicking noise from the bay is the starter. from the sounds of what you are describing your starter has been slowly going bad.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Clicking means the starter is trying but doesn't have enough juice.
Take the batter out and go to a Advance Auto Parts if you got one and get it load tested, bet it fails!!
The problem I see with Optima's is there deep cycle by design. And those won't last when there not discharged over 50% before recharging and when they are discharged that hard, still don't last! Great for parked Stereo users, suck for ones that don't do that!
Old 02-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Batt or alt...

Originally Posted by TooManySS's
Clicking means the starter is trying but doesn't have enough juice.
Take the batter out and go to a Advance Auto Parts if you got one and get it load tested, bet it fails!!
The problem I see with Optima's is there deep cycle by design. And those won't last when there not discharged over 50% before recharging and when they are discharged that hard, still don't last! Great for parked Stereo users, suck for ones that don't do that!
You hit it exactly on the head...I ditched my Optima and got a top of the line Autozone (what a warranty) and haven't looked back!
Old 02-04-2012, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the big problem with optima battery's is you have to charge them a particular way. i think someone posted a video here a while back try searching for that. if not try optimas website.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CBAR02SLP
You hit it exactly on the head...I ditched my Optima and got a top of the line Autozone (what a warranty) and haven't looked back!
That's what I am running right now. Any of the batteries made by Johnson Controls and rebranded are good though. The AC Delco it had in it before lasted a very long time.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the optimas and any other AGM type battery do not need to be charged any particular way or any way different than typical wet cell lead acid batteries... for the most part.
to get really technical, the absorption charge for an AGM battery is 14.5-15 volts where as a VRLA battery is slightly lower at 14.2-14.5. In most cases battery charges go for 14.5 volts so they work. You might be thinking of gel-cell batteries which did require lower voltage charging to prevent overheating and failure, but those type batteries have gone obsolete because of that reason.

the click noise is indicative of a battery with insufficient capacity, first thing to try would be a jump or new battery. The other thing it can commonly be is the solenoid on the starter has gone bad, the solenoid is an electromagnet switch which requires a good amount of power and when they fail they cause the same thing to happen. And a third thing it could be is the slave solenoid to the starter solenoid, which might be a relay in the fuse box not sure, but if that slave is bad it can kill the solenoid on the starter. If you put in a new battery, then a new starter, and have the problem still then replace the slave solenoid/relay.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Go to the zone....Autozone!