General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Found out my rear O2's are gone...Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 09:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Found out my rear O2's are gone...Need some help

Hey everyone,

Ever since I bought my 02 TA back in October, I noticed that it smelled a little rich. Then about a month ago it really let loose and started to smell like straight gas coming from the exhaust.

I'm not very tech saavy, yet , but I did a bunch of reading on here and a lot of people running Pacesetter LT's seem to have the same trouble with their O2's. I decided to take my car to my car repair guy to scan it to see if everything was looking fine, O2's opening correctly etc...

He calls me and informs me that both of my rear O2's have just been cut out. I guess its a touchy subject on here if the rear O2 sensors are "needed" or not, causing it to remain in open loop and never closing or whatever the technicallities are. The front two O2's were flipping correctly all day long so he said they are good. He also said he checked the voltage on the fuel pump, I believe, and it was jumping around. A ground I'm assuming?

Anyway, he clears my codes and I get my car back and its running fine. I notice the gas smell is gone as well as the SES on my dash . The very next morning on my way to work I notice my SES light has returned along with the gas smell.

I've got a brand new set of Iridium plugs, MSD wires, fuel filter, and MCCC waiting to go on/be used on my car, but I want to hopefully get this problem resolved before I foul up any of these new parts.

My car has an SLP lid, Pacesetter LT's, SLP exhaust, and "a tune the cost the previous owner $300" (details unknown).

I hope my descriptions help and I appreciate your time and input on my problem!
Old 03-25-2012, 10:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to doubt the previous owners tune or skill but it sounds like the rear o2's weren't tuned out properly if you're getting a code from them. I don't think to many people argue if you need them or not since a ton of people run their car fine without them.

How long after the mods to the car did the seller sell it? only other thing i can think of is the front o2's are getting fouled out which could happen from a fairly new LT install. What codes where you getting exactly? A tune is what's needed for the issues your describing, strange it has one on it apparently.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

All the dates of these installs are unknown. I know now that if I buy a used car again, specifics on installs will help me out on down the road.

Here is what the mechanic has written down on my receipt.

"Codes P0140 Low O2
Activity on rear O2 sensors
P0300 Random misfire
P1133 Bank 1 Sensor 1 O2 not switching
P1153 Bank 2 Sensor 1 O2 not switching
Road test - rain causing misfire on some spark plug wires #7 and #8"
Old 03-25-2012, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Most times after installing LTs tuners tune them out. Sounds like if he spent $300 on a tune then a shop did it. Your mech said the car was missing in on 7 and 8 due to rain... Rain can cause electrical problems but your car missing would def make it smell like gas. Id check your coils make sure your getting a good coil and plug connection with your wires.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second a bad tune. I have Pacesetter headers as well and tuned out/deleted the rear O2 sensors, as well as a dyne and full street tune. Never had any issues and has ran fine for years with good gas mileage.

I bet your car never got correctly tuned.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigbomber5

He calls me and informs me that both of my rear O2's have just been cut out. I guess its a touchy subject on here if the rear O2 sensors are "needed" or not, causing it to remain in open loop and never closing or whatever the technicallities are.
Just from this statement, there is no way your tuner is a mechanic. Your rear oxygen sensors are ONLY catalyst monitors. Nothing more, nothing less. But from the codes you display it looks like the FRONT 02 sensors are bad (not switching) so either he goofed the tune or ran too much raw fuel through the 02 sensors and cooked them.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:50 PM
Teching In

He never said the mech was the tuner he was just scanning and saw the front o2s switching and the rear o2s nil.
Your correct the rear o2s only really tell if the cats are working correctly and has nothing to do with the tune.
Its possible that the tune is bad but if its dumping that much fuel you would for sure feel the motor bogging becuase it cant get enough air and causing a missfire.
Can we get some more info?
How does the motor run?
Do you feel anything at wot?
Any backfiring?
When cruising do you feel any missing/bucking from the motor?
Miles on motor?
Thanks!
Old 03-27-2012, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

Motor runs real solid. One time on the highway cruising around 65 I did a "mild acceleration up to 90 and this is where a felt a stutter. That's the only time though
I'm just gonna buy 2 new Denso O2 sensors and put them on along with my new plugs, plug wires, and fuel filter. I'm going to buy through rockauto, so when buying the 2 front O2's are they specific to the front (upstream I guess)?
Thanks for all of your input. Hopefully changing all this stuff out helps with the problem
Old 03-27-2012, 01:45 PM
Launching!

my car started acting odd when my O2 went out also