General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Can I recover my front seats myself? What are my factory replacement options??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I recover my front seats myself? What are my factory replacement options??

Hello all,

My front seats are in shabby shape. They are definitely in need of new factory style, tan leather covers.

I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction:

A) where to get factory OEM tan leather covers?

B) can I do this myself?

Thank you!
Old 04-20-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A how to

Or buy em. 6le CustomSeat Covers
Old 04-20-2012, 11:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert

WOW impressive. I'd really like to locate factory ones though. Not a fan of the 6 LE
Old 04-21-2012, 12:17 AM
TECH Resident

I know this isn't likely what you want to hear, but you're likely going to have a heck of a time finding new OEM seat covers. And not only that - but if you find new seat covers, you'll also need new foam to achieve "new" seats - and that's if you can install them correctly.

Some solutions?

1.) Buy the newest used seats you can find, in the best condition you can find. The tan seats are usually for sale frequently on the exchange section of the forum.

2.) Go aftermarket. I read you are not interested in this option - but it is an option. You can also browse ebay for seat covers. Again, I doubt this is what u want to do.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ghostintheshell
I know this isn't likely what you want to hear, but you're likely going to have a heck of a time finding new OEM seat covers. And not only that - but if you find new seat covers, you'll also need new foam to achieve "new" seats - and that's if you can install them correctly.

Some solutions?

1.) Buy the newest used seats you can find, in the best condition you can find. The tan seats are usually for sale frequently on the exchange section of the forum.

2.) Go aftermarket. I read you are not interested in this option - but it is an option. You can also browse ebay for seat covers. Again, I doubt this is what u want to do.

Ya, I was afraid of that.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghostintheshell

Some solutions?

Unfortunately, he is right. I would do terrible, horrible, unspeakable things for someone to sell BRAND NEW EXACT factory replica seat covers, and preferably the seat cover foam as well.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

I picked up some replacement seat vinyl at Hawks Third Gen. It took about thirty hours to get them where I wanted them as far as fitment but they turned out nice and are very comfortable. If you were to go this route I would suggest doing alot of reading and watch some uhpolstry how to videos. I have a pretty well equipped facility and some decent know how and this was still a formidable challenge. I also recommend a lot of steam on the foam bottoms and back to help expand the foam for a tight fit. Lastly I ended up adding 1/2" - 1-1/2" laminations of foam to really get the skins extra tight.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Here's a pic right after final installation about 6 months ago...

Can I recover my front seats myself? What are my factory replacement options??-img_0777-375x500-.jpg

Here is how they look right now, You can see the vinyl is showing fewer wrinkles.

Can I recover my front seats myself? What are my factory replacement options??-img_0409-375x500-.jpg

Quick Reply: Can I recover my front seats myself? What are my factory replacement options??