General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

P0131, whats next?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0131, whats next?

So last night I was on my way home and got caught in a pretty nasty storm, and of course hit some large puddles.
SES light came on soon after and have been trying to figure out If its another related problem first. Anyhow..

P0131 - 02 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank I Sensor I)

I searched the forums and tried a few different things, and after all of it the SES light still on with the code.

*Cleaned MAF with CNC
*Unhooked battery for 30mins
*Checked for Vac leaks

Now is there anything else i'm missing that I should try, before I go out tomorrow and buy a new o2 sensor? Also what brand would be best and doesn't crap out 3k miles later? Any input is appreciated, thanks.

note: still has stock exhaust except for borla cat-back
Old 05-11-2012, 11:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unplug the O2 and check the connections to see if water made it's way into there or if there is any corrosion. Is that the only code that you are getting? If you do end up getting new sensors I would spring for a pair and replace both. If you have high milage it could be that it was just it's time to go. I put in Bosh 13444 on mine after I installed my LT a few weeks ago, they are running great.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:35 PM
Teching In

Ok, not sure if I'm correct about this or not 'cause I'm a Vette guy but if I'm not mistaken, just unhooking the battery for 30mins. does not clear the code. I would hook an actual scan tool to the computer and clear it that way. Then, drive the car as normal and see if it re-appears. If it DOES re-appear then yes; I would change the O2 sensor as it could be on its way out but it's doubtful. My hunch is that when you were driving through such a tsunami of rain you got a very high level of humidity through the induction system that the computer tried to correct the fuel (AFR) which will obviously have an affect on the exhaust. If it happens for a long enough period of time, then the front O2 sensor will not agree with the rear O2 sensor and it will pop a code. Could be just an isolated incident. Then, on the other hand it could be water on the actual O2 sensor connector like the previous poster suggested. In any case, I would hold off on throwing parts at it until you've tried the simpler things first. Hope this helps.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:48 PM
TECH Resident

I doubt that it would be a case of the O2s not meshing since it is a voltage code. To me that would indicate either a lazy sensor, connection problem or wiring issue. Although, I have been known to be wrong But it could also be as you said, a one off that was caused by the storm and driving through puddles.

I also would not suggest replacing hardware as the first step since these really aren't cheap. If nothing else pull the sensor and look at it. If it is black and full of carbon then that might be an indication that it is the sensor itself.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:24 AM
Launching!

Will put her up on ramps in the morning to see what i'm dealing with, it has 94k miles and to my knowledge has never been replaced.

In the case that it is a bad sensor, What brand do ya'll recommend? Bosch/AC delco/ect?
Old 05-12-2012, 03:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by colinpd137
In the case that it is a bad sensor, What brand do ya'll recommend? Bosch/AC delco/ect?
I am running Bosch 13444 since I put in my headers a few weeks ago and they have been running fine so far. At 94K running on originals, it is possible they have gotten lazy and are due for a change. But I would recommend checking everything else first.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Teching In

But I would recommend checking everything else first.[/QUOTE]

I agree....You need to ISOLATE the problem and verify what is causing it. I once changed $400 worth of O2 sensors in my 3.8 V6 Camaro for a re-occuring misfire problem that kept coming back. I was certain that the O2 sensors were "weak" and were not giving the PCM the correct value to adjust the AFR accurately causing a misfire condition. Later I learned that I was gapping the plugs before installation using a metal gapping tool. Well......That was damaging the platinum coating on the tip and later I would get a misfire. Word of advice....If it says "Do Not Gap" then don't even stick a peice of wire in there to check them! Just install them! OK, I'm rambling......We're anxious to hear what you find. Good luck!
Old 05-16-2012, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

So how did everything go? You back to running 100%?
Old 05-17-2012, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Use an AC delco. Other brands like to throw heater resistance codes even when new. Some do some don't, AC delcos don't.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts

how are the NGK o2 sensors? i know their sparkplugs are good. i have TR5ix in mine right now. ive heard alot of good things about the wideband setups, but what about their regular narrowband o2s?
Old 07-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

Don't use the Bosch I don't know about ngk brand I use ac delco or delfi witch is the same thing. You will have problems with other brands.

Quick Reply: P0131, whats next?