General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

flip to high beams, lows shut off and wires get hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 04:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 130 Posts

Default flip to high beams, lows shut off and wires get hot

on my buddys 98 z28, i did the headlight mod where you place 12 gauge wire between the brown and yellow wires on the headlight switch to keep your low beams on when switched to high......did it two years ago id estimate, and probly done 15000 miles on it and driven at night some as well.......recently when hes driving with his low beams on as far as i no everything is ok.....when he goes to highbeams, the high beam bulbs illuminate partially for a split second, then he loses low and high beams.......(i also disable the auto headlights on the car as well) they do come back on a short time later after he flips the switch a few times......i thought that maybe something in the wire mod i did......so i removed the midddle wire connecting the two together, wrapped them individually to take it back to stock........plugged it back in and with the low beams on.......no issues and the wire is not hit.....when switched to high beams, again lows and highs are off, and the wires to the brown headlight clip underneath the dash get hot in a matter of 2-3 seconds......so my question is, what do i replace to fix this......as far as i know, this mod does not add any extra stress to any of the light components, and done it to my ss which has been fine for 6 months. thanks for the help in advance
Old 07-02-2012, 06:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Ground issue?
Old 07-02-2012, 08:19 AM
TECH Junkie

where do i look for the ground at? is there a ground just for high beams tho?
Old 07-02-2012, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wire getting hot points to the power wire getting grounded before the light. Need to check fuse to ensure the right size is in and then trace the power wire and find the short.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW: the grounds on mine are on the bracket just aft of the light almost centered.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AlamoTA
The wire getting hot points to the power wire getting grounded before the light. Need to check fuse to ensure the right size is in and then trace the power wire and find the short.
no fuse has been changed since i owned the car for 3 years so i believe the fuse is fine...........no assuming the ground came lose tho is possible
Old 07-02-2012, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Floorman279
no fuse has been changed since i owned the car for 3 years so i believe the fuse is fine...........no assuming the ground came lose tho is possible
Check that the prior owner didn't put the wrong fuse in. The little circuit board for my interior dimmer switch was broken and would short out the 5A fuse for the backlights for the gauges. Owner put a 15A in its place and the board broke further and fried my parking/tail light fuse.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:30 PM
TECH Junkie

fuse is the ssame amount of amerage as it should be.......so again, what wires should i be looking at....is it possible that the switch is bad? where is the switch at to replace?
Old 07-05-2012, 05:11 PM
TECH Junkie

o forgot to add.....for a while, he would have this issue before it got to the no high beams at all....

while drivng with lows on, flip to high beams and they work....but when he would flip the highs off, all lights would go.....

so heres another update......checked for ground wire and everything seems tight.

so it started out as working normal for 3 years with the low beams on with hi beams on mod.......then the high beams would work properly, but when switched to lo beams, the hi and the lo beams would no longer be working....now a few days later, when he flips to the high beams, the hi beams barely light up for a split second, and both the high beams and the low beams go off, but the tailights stay on and the interior lights are on......

just a little recap....again, i appreciate all the responses
Old 07-05-2012, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try checking the headlight switch for proper continuities.