General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

going to seafoam my car

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going to seafoam my car

Since I'm the second owner of my camaro, and it has 128k, i have decided to seafoam my car. I read the sticky and have all I need. Before I start pouring things into different lines, I wanted to double check that this line (red circle) is my vacuum line. Thanks for the help!

Old 07-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Yessir.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

Thanks!
Old 07-04-2012, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah that's the brake booster line.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

and you know not to use that hose to seafoam......right?
Old 07-04-2012, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

wait, that's not the hose to use? If it's not, I'm glad I asked! I read the sticky and the brake booster looked different from mine. That prompted me to ask you all.

So I guess my question should be, which line do I use for the seafoam?
Old 07-04-2012, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is the correct line.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

If you use that line, all its doing is getting into the rear 2 cylinders theres one on the front thats going to follow the air flow from front to back and not have to work against the flow like if you pour it into the rear, also if your going to be pouring non compressive liquid into the combustion chamber just hope not to hydrolock. Go buy Mopar Intake Cleaner or a spray can of seafoam and spray that through the throttle body. I wouldnt suggest pouring liquid into the intake, the spray cleaners are aerated enough to mix well with the air. I believe theres a foaming cleaner that is suppose to be the best so because it expands to get every small space instead of just pooling in the low lying area and ontop of the pistons.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ur-car-55.html

red the last few pages, 53 to 56, i read all that before i was going to dump liquid in there and i was like duhh
Old 07-04-2012, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Jaxcam, I was a bit apprehensive about pouring seafoam down the vacuum line to begin with (front or rear). So if it's not going to be of great benefit, then I'm over it. I bought the seafoam "deep creep", and you say that's fine to spray down my tb into my intake? Guess I'll stick to the deep creep and pouring a can into my gas, then change my oil. That should be enough for cleaning, right?
Old 07-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

They have been showing seafoam comercials where they have a special attachment to put the seafoam In through the throttle body. I wouldnt put it in through the booster line, like said above your not going to get good coverage to front of the motor. Do yourself a favor and do some more research.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

The spray should come with a red U shaped tube. You have to stick it in the air ducting so that it sprays right in front of the throttle body but after the MAF sensor. If you spray hard enough it starts to bog out, you gotta find that fine line between until you near the end of the can then spray it hard as someone turns off the key, I then used what was left over and took off the air ducting and opened the throttle and sprayed up high and to the sides from front to back. Wait how ever long it said on the can and start it up. You actually dont want a smokescreen coming out the back, all that smoke is is the liquid that is just heated to its boiling point and is expelled in its gaseous state. Also if you put it in the oil flush it all out real good, and after you run it through a whole tank of gas I would change the fuel filter because all the crud in the gas tank that came off is going to clog your fuel filter faster and contaminate any fresh fuel you put in after, might as well have a completely clean fuel system. Just remember when you spray it into a running engine make sure the air ducting is attached so your not pulling in dirty air past the air filter.

the problem is with the seafoam thread, everyone just reads the first few pages, goes and buys supplies and then reads the end and finds out exactly why you shouldnt pour liquid in the intake lol I know I did. Theres just so many pages to sort through on that thread.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for a fuel injected car it is best to add any safe fuel additive to the fuel tank.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^ agreed, i just do this now every oil change.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

I just read the last pages of that seafoam thread. All I can say is.....wow. A big THANK YOU for pointing that out to me. I should just pour a can in my full gas tank and after I run through the tank, change my fuel filter and be done with it!
Old 07-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

If you want to clean the inside of the intake and runners they make a product sierra carbon free spray it into the throttle body while the engine is runnig it foams and cleans its the best stuff made. I would still use seafoam in the tank for the fuel system
Old 07-04-2012, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

the best port for seafoam is the front PCV by the TB............nuff sed
Old 07-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RickSS
I just read the last pages of that seafoam thread. All I can say is.....wow. A big THANK YOU for pointing that out to me. I should just pour a can in my full gas tank and after I run through the tank, change my fuel filter and be done with it!
NO...you pour a full can of SeaFoam into 1/8 - 1/4 tank of gas. Putting it into a full tank of gas will do NOTHING. Too diluted by the already very strong gasoline.

Also, yes, you can pour SeaFoam into the brake booster line.....if you want to only very partially clean the rear two cylinders only......the front 6 cylinders will get ZERO SeaFoam into them. All the smoke comes from all the SeaFoam when you start it up to run it is from the SeaFoam that pools into the bottom of the intake.........
Also, pouring it into the brake booster line could possibly cause a hydrolock and you will then be buying a new engine......or having yours rebuilt.

Search "alternative to SeaFoam".

SeaFoam is great for cleaning the fuel system and doing an engine flush at an oil change........thats all.