General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ETC issues on my 99 z28 help please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 04:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ETC issues on my 99 z28 help please!

I accidentally broke off the old stock ect sensor on the drivers side head ,while changing out spark plugs. Went to autozone got a duralast made for the car,installed it and still my water temp gauge will not work whatsoever. And my fans cut on hard and early even after its been sitting out all night.I know it must be confusing the pcm to get the right air fuel mapped and making it run overly rich.Idk what really to do at this point the gas milage is not that great and it's not running like it should stutters once in a while not all the time mainly on normal driving conditions but when I bury the throttle it runs like a champ. It just makes me extremely paranoid cuz it's my daily driver and has 150k on the car could it be a wiring issue?I've checked the wires seen no burnt blackened marks on them it ran perfect with the old one but i just left it unplugged till I got the new one from autozone and the damn gauge and pcm still won't cooperate. Will this possibly make my car overheat?It has awesome oil pressure, and see no signs of overheating, no antifreeze leaks anywhere personally I think the computer is confused. This is bugging the crap out of me and any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated thanks!
Old 08-31-2012, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried undoing the battery for a few minutes to see if it will reset ?
Old 08-31-2012, 05:12 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=Fine408C5R;16677388]I accidentally broke off the old stock ect sensor on the drivers side head ,while changing out spark plugs. Went to autozone got a duralast made for the car,installed it and still my water temp gauge will not work whatsoever. And my fans cut on hard and right away even after I crank it up and its been sitting out all night.I know it must be confusing the pcm to get the right air fuel mapped and making it run overly rich.Idk what really to do at this point the gas milage is not that great and it's not running like it should stutters once in a while not all the time mainly on normal driving conditions but when I bury the throttle it runs like a champ. It just makes me extremely paranoid cuz it's my daily driver and has 150k on the car could it be a wiring issue?I've checked the wires seen no burnt blackened marks on them it ran perfect with the old one but i just left it unplugged till I got the new one from autozone and the damn gauge and pcm still won't cooperate. Will this possibly make my car overheat?It has awesome oil pressure, and see no signs of overheating, no antifreeze leaks anywhere personally I think the computer is confused. This is bugging the crap out of me.Also after I turn off the car the fans stay running for like a minute before they shut off..my buddy has an hp laptop tuner and would y'all think that getting deep in the diagnostics could possibly make the temp sensor come back to life?And help and guidance would be greatly appreciated I love this car and wanna keep her long living thanks a bunch!
Old 08-31-2012, 05:19 PM
Teching In

Yes I done just about everything under the sun on it,it's just being hardheaded with a first morning start it fires right up, idles perfectly but once in a while when I leave it parked for a few minutes it seems a little hesitant to crank.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:31 PM
Teching In

The car is a 99 z28 transco built 4l60e tranny motor is bone stock
Old 08-31-2012, 05:31 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may try and have them warranty the sensor, as ETC is a big factor for tuning parameters of these cars, and it will throw off everything if it doesnt know what temp its running at. Try another sensor and let us know what it does.
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 08-31-2012, 05:47 PM
Teching In

I just recently done what the guy said once more disconnected the battery trying to reset. ITand the gauge seemed to work until the fans turned on then it went below 100 again and stayed there imto stumped!Could this cause the car to overheat if i don't get this issue resolved?
Old 08-31-2012, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Would do what Jake said and try a different sensor and see if that works.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:52 PM
Teching In

At Texas Speed...what ect sensor would you recommend the duralast from autozone is a lifetime warranty but I'm willing to try anything at this point.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:36 PM
Teching In

I called advance auto and they're ordering a stock replacement ac delco ect sensor I might have to pay a few extra bucks but from what I've heard through several different sources the ac delco is a lot more compatible with the ls cars than the aftermarket stuff
Old 08-31-2012, 10:56 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes the AC Delco stuff would be better in my opinion. I think with duralast stuff it can be hit or miss sometimes...
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 09-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Teching In

I replaced the duralast ect sensor with the ac delco and still acted the same when I first started it up it worked fine until the fans turned on but I did notice on the female end that plugs into the sensor itself the yellow and black wires the yellow wire was blackened possibly burnt? Could that possibly be the culprit to the whole issue?I'm guessing the yellow wire runs to the pcm and thats the reason the computer is acting stupid and turning the fans on way to early what would I have to do to get all the wiring down pat that's the only reason I would think it's not working properly since I've already weeded out the sensor itself it has to be in the wiring any help from an expierienced person that's had these issues would be awesome,thanks!
Old 09-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Teching In

By the way will it still be ok to drive the car with this problem it is my daily driver so I kinda have no choice it runs fine just sucks more fuel would the car overheat overtime if I keep driving it like this?
Old 09-01-2012, 03:45 PM
Teching In

The code reads p0118 engine temp circuit high input

Quick Reply: ETC issues on my 99 z28 help please!