General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

'99 Z28 - Disconnect Fuel Line to Fuel Rails

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 05:33 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '99 Z28 - Disconnect Fuel Line to Fuel Rails

'99 Z28 with LS1 M6.

I need to pull the manifold to get to a pesky oil leak behind it. What tool do I need to disconnect, and then re-connect, the fuel lines that connect to the fuel rails? Also, I'd like to have the injectors cleaned. Any ideas on where to send them?

Thanks

Old 04-16-2013, 02:49 AM
Staging Lane

The one towards the bottom colored black you could probably do careful with a small flatblade. That is your EVAP line there is no fluid in that only vapor.

The other one looks like it may require one of these like almost every other GM vehicle:

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece...set-96834.html
Old 04-16-2013, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just like SMKE said, its suppose to be a 3/8 but I used a 5/16 and it worked
Old 04-16-2013, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can you take pictures and post here as you're getting to the leak, i have an oil leak and i can't find it and would like to see exactly where it is you are getting the leak.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

It is possible to pull the intake and injectors without disconnecting the fuel lines, but it's quite easy with the disconnect tools as mentioned.

As for cleaning, check out fuel injector connection (FIC http://fuelinjectorconnection.com/). They do a nice job.

I'm sure his leak is from the oil pressure sender. It's about the only source for an oil leak at the back of the intake.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:43 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the responses. I found a fuel line disconnect tool for GM's at Autozone last night. So there really isn't anything special about that connection ... meaning that as long as I'm careful, I can disconnect and re-connect that fitting without having to buy anything new?

As Greg mentions, I'm pretty sure that the leak is from the oil pressure sensor. It's very slight, but over time it's visible from underneath the car.

Thanks for the lead on the fuel injector connection. I'll check them out.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nothing to to worry about in the connection. It's just a bunch little fingers inside and when you slide th tool in, it just pushes the fingers away to release the hose. When you reinstall, you just slide the hose back on and the finger engage and you're good to go.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 8 times that I have done this I just popped up the fuel rail with the injectors in it and swung it out of the way, just be sure to replace the injector o-rings afterwards. I dont think I have ever disconnected the fuel line.
While you have the intake up check your knock sensors/wire harness for damage, might be a good idea to replace both while your in there if they are rusted or damaged.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my lt1 I also didn't have to disconnect the fuel line. I just lifted the rails and set them aside. However I had no choice cus my fuel line disconnect tool had broken for some reason while trying to remove the fuel line the first time. It was a cheap autozone one.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The same thing happened to me. The first tool (cheapest one) I tried failed and broke within minutes of purchasing. I returned it and bought the anodized ones and those worked.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:28 PM
Launching!

To follow up on this thread a bit, I pulled the intake this past weekend. I bought a set of aluminum fuel line disconnect tools from Autozone that worked perfectly. No problems disconnecting the fuel line. Beyond that, pulling the intake out was pretty straightforward.

Behind the intake, I found a broken oil pressure sensor

And with the old sensor removed

In the second picture, what is the connector to the left of the oil pressure sensor opening?

So I'm ready to put everything back together. I pulled the injectors and sent them out to be cleaned. Once I get them back, I'll re-install the fuel system and put the intake back in. Should be good to go.

Thanks
Old 04-23-2013, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's the camshaft position sensor.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Launching!

I finally got everything finished up tonight. Since I had the intake and fuel rails off, I went ahead and sent the injectors out to be cleaned. The oil pressure sensor was replaced, the intake manifold gaskets were replaced and the injectors were cleaned. As a result, no more oil leak and the motor revs a little more easily. Much easier of a repair than I had anticipated.

Thanks for all of the advice and help!!

Quick Reply: '99 Z28 - Disconnect Fuel Line to Fuel Rails