General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

5.3 Flooding wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 5.3 Flooding wont start

So I am trying to fire off my engine and it acts as if it's about to fire up but stumbles and dies. Shortly after a small amount of fuel comes dripping out of my manifolds. I unplugged my injector connectors and it fired up until it ran out of fuel and then died. I plugged my injectors back in and same problem. Now I have already swapped out my injectors with another set and also confirmed my injector wires are all on the correct injector. What could be causing this issue? I have a brand new corvette filter/regulator so I should be getting a proper 58psi of fuel at my rails but I am unsure on why it keeps flooding and not firing.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Check and see if the injector wiring in grounded. The Injectors get 12volts from the fuse panel and the pcm grds the injector to fire it. If the harness or wiring is damaged where the grd side of the injector is grounded all the time when you turn the key on the injectors will just sit there open dumping fuel.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Check and see if the injector wiring in grounded. The Injectors get 12volts from the fuse panel and the pcm grds the injector to fire it. If the harness or wiring is damaged where the grd side of the injector is grounded all the time when you turn the key on the injectors will just sit there open dumping fuel.
Using a noid light my injectors pulsate when cranking the engine over. I thought they were stuck open dumping fuel but that does not seem to be the case. going to verify my new Corvette regulator is supplying 58psi to my rail
Old 04-30-2019, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 186 Likes on 148 Posts

How long did your injectors previously sit with ethanol-laced fuel in them? Have you check their spray pattern?

Rick
Old 04-30-2019, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1
How long did your injectors previously sit with ethanol-laced fuel in them? Have you check their spray pattern?

Rick
Several months. Both sets of injectors sat in a fuel cleaner for over 24 hours. I have not checked the spray pattern but I figured if the injectors were clogged it wouldn't cause flooding and cause more of a lean issue, right?

Checked my pressure and I have 58psi at the rails . Everything is pretty stock besides a sheetmetal intake and bigger fuel rails. Pcm is only flashed for vats and emissions to be disabled. Starting to wonder if I have a possible ground issue or something stupid like that
Old 05-01-2019, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 186 Likes on 148 Posts

Soaking a fuel injector is not the same as running a high pressure concentrate of fuel system cleaner through it. My guess is that your injectors actuate (NOIDS illuminate) but the atomization of the fuel in the spray pattern is too poor / too rich to adequately burn. Your comment that raw fuel is dripping out of your manifolds leads me to believe that is the case. Your additional comment that with the injectors unplugged it runs better until it runs out of fuel is further evidence that you don't have an ignition problem and likely not a grounding problem. Basically, it runs better as it leans itself out.

I'd run a very high concentration of some very good fuel system cleaner in your gasoline to see if the injectors can be made to work better. Chevron Techron is what I would use though the very expensive AC Delco X66P is also good . . . just very expensive.

Can you describe your "sheet metal intake"? Are you certain that it is not causing you a vacuum leak?

Rick
Old 05-01-2019, 07:33 AM
On The Tree

Posted below is a photo of my intake. Each runner has it's own individual gasket and when pulling the intake it shows to be making a very good seal. Other ports on the intake are plugged besides the one I have my MAP sensor hooked up to.

Once it fires off it runs great until it runs out of fuel. But it will only fire off if the injectors are unplugged. I have some BG 44K cleaner I will use to try and clean my injectors with. I figure I'd just pull each individual injector and try to spray them with some compressed air and cleaner through them.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

hmmm 1st thing I would do is go over the wiring to make sure everything is plugged in the proper places then maybe be sure the fuel pressure isn't going sky high when its running, then pull the fuel rail on one side and see what is going on when starting it. Is the MAP sensor and MAF hooked up? Just be careful you don't make fire lol
Old 05-01-2019, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
hmmm 1st thing I would do is go over the wiring to make sure everything is plugged in the proper places then maybe be sure the fuel pressure isn't going sky high when its running, then pull the fuel rail on one side and see what is going on when starting it. Is the MAP sensor and MAF hooked up? Just be careful you don't make fire lol
I pulled out the scanner to see if something obvious was wrong as I was completely clueless. Turns out my coolant temperature was at -38*. Looking further into it I happened to find the ground wire pinched and broken inside. Once I fixed the ground issue my temperature went up to 78* and after a split second of turning the motor over it fired up and ran flawlessly. I guess the engine reading so cold the computer commanded a ton of fuel to try and warm the engine up. Now I can proceed with my build! Thank you both for your input