General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Bogging down

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bogging down

This isn't LS1 related, but there's alot of knowledge here, so I thought I could ask this question. Anyways, my girlfriend just got a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4X4. When she's at idle it's fine but when she slowly gives it some gas, the car kind of bogs for a few seconds and then gets moving. I want to get this fixed before it causes a wreck. Any help is appriciated. Thanks.
-Brent
Old 11-28-2004, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

ttt....
Old 12-19-2004, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

Default Girlfriends car...

I didn't know exacty where i should put this thread but i figured it would get alot of hits here. My girlfriend has a 95 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4X4 with 198k miles. When we are at idle, the car vibrates and constantly goes from 1000 to 50rpm's and gets close to dying. It has an exhaust leak and the driveshaft to the back two wheels is OFF. The thing gets crappy gas mileage. We have changed the oil and fuel filter and air filter. What else can I do to get the car running right? They said that a new exhaust manifold would be $200, i told her to invest in a pair of headers . Please let me know how you kept your high mileage vehicle in good condition. Thanx.
-Brent
Old 12-20-2004, 03:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

plugs, wires, cap. and rotor?
Old 12-20-2004, 09:36 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll assume it's a 4.0. It's pretty common for the exhaust manifolds to go on them. Considering the miles, I wouldn't be suprised if that was a problem. Also check the IAC and TPS. I would also do a full tune up like was mentioned (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, pcv, fuel filter).
Old 12-20-2004, 12:17 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the responses. I was also thinking about cleaning the throttle body with some carb. cleaner.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds common with Jeeps, ours gets bad milage, rough idle and we have had tons of problems. We actually had to replace the fuel pump it was running rough and would overheat and die.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Tell her to buy an LS1, that should solve the problem.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used to have a leased '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with a 5.2 MPI V8 engine for 4 or 5 yrs.
I attempted to do a donut in it and almost got the wheels on the driver's side up in the air then the next thing happened, the powersteering pump took a crap and a sh!tload of real white smoke came out of the exhaust for a few miles.

And that sh!tbox could only go to 100mph barely

I drove it into a pond at night about 3 ft deep and water was going over the hood! the fun ole days

I wore down the rear brakes to the rivet on the pad backing, that left a groove in the rotor, after I noticed that, I went to the local carquest store and asked for rear brake pads for the jeep, they asked if i want the basic or the preimum, i said the cheaper one

The month to two before the lease contract was to expire, I didn't have any oil in the engine (burnt them up from flooring it alot) and I didn't want to spend any more $$$ on it
I used vegatable oil from the kitchen in it!
Works fine

The day I brought it back, i took the plates off of it and the lease was finished, about 80k on it. They didn't even send me a bill or charge me anything.

I know it has a holley throttlebody, it's a MPI (on the 5.2L V8 that is)
so since your gf jeep has 198k on it, I'd check the fuel injectors on it since that's alot of miles and injectors prob have clogged up to the point it can't spray a fine mist at idle for a smooth running. Check the fuel pressure as well.
All sparkplugs gapped and works well? All igition leads connected and checked for continuity?
Old 12-21-2004, 11:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rainman
Tell her to buy an LS1, that should solve the problem.
haha. already did. I told her to get an ls1 and put a t-56 tranny in there. Didn't work. lol