General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How To Seafoam Your Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Video

Smoke Video

I decided try out the Seafoam treatment on my winter car today. It's 1989 Ford Crown Victoria with 62,000 original miles. I thought it would be cool to set my DV recorder up on the rear window shelf to film the smoke screen.

I had to wait to get out of my neighborhood before going WOT, but it was smoking like crazy even before then. By the time I returned home the smoke was completely gone. Hopefully she picked up a little pep and raises the MPG a tad by doing this process.

Yes, I did the full treatment with the oil, and the deep creep, and in the gas.

The car is completely stock, except for dual flowmasters.

Now that I am more comfortable doing this, I will film the complete process on my WS6 in a few weeks.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rybo Flavin
Smoke Video

I decided try out the Seafoam treatment on my winter car today. It's 1989 Ford Crown Victoria with 62,000 original miles. I thought it would be cool to set my DV recorder up on the rear window shelf to film the smoke screen.

I had to wait to get out of my neighborhood before going WOT, but it was smoking like crazy even before then. By the time I returned home the smoke was completely gone. Hopefully she picked up a little pep and raises the MPG a tad by doing this process.

Now that I am more comfortable doing this, I will film the complete process on my WS6 in a few weeks.
nice. i didnt know they put V6's in crownvics......
Old 03-14-2007, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bww3588
nice. i didnt know they put V6's in crownvics......
man, no joke, it's slow as hell but it gets me around and can haul a ton of crap. It's got a 5.0 liter, but not the HO 5.0...and Ford governs them so you can't go much more than 85 mph. It makes me appreciate my WS6 so much more when I am able to drive it.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

man, no joke, it's slow as hell but it gets me around and can haul a ton of crap. It's got a 5.0 liter, but not the HO 5.0...and Ford governs them so you can't go much more than 85 mph. It makes me appreciate my WS6 so much more when I am able to drive it.
it sounds like a v6. lol. i knew it was a 5.0.....lol the 97 i drove for a year had the 4.6 in it and it would only go 97mph. lol. but it got me 35MPG highway.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bww3588
it sounds like a v6.
The video has distorted sound due to the fact that I compressed the 100 MB original file down to 4 MB for upload to Youtube. In person, the car definitely sounds like you would expect a 5.0 with Flowmasters to sound like.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Regular

Will doing the top end treatment dirty the oil? My car is in storage now and the oil only has 1k on it. I want to seafoam it before i drive to NC just so I know everything is tip top inside. Will the oil in there be a waste after I seafoam the top end and fuel system? It would be a shame to drain out cerman castrol with only a little over a thousand miles on it.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smoke Video

Perfect. Thats what I wanted to see. Good job.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I saw some Seafoam Transmission stuff today, it said it was for autos so I didn't buy it. But I'm ready to try this stuff out when the weather gets better!
Old 03-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Launching!

good info thanks helped alot!!
Old 03-20-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive been reading through the posts, and I may have read through the answer...Im not sure.

I know the order in which things should be done. I just dont know the timeline.

Should I plan to do all this treatment in one day? Like go fill up, put the seafoam in the tank, come home, pour it in the oil, then pour it into the booster line, letting it die out... Then run the smoke out of it...

Like do it all at the same time? Or should I be putting it in the tank, running that tank out. Then put it in the oil...drive 100 miles...change the oil. THEN put it in the booster... etc etc.

Justin
Old 03-20-2007, 05:58 PM
10 Second Club

All at one time

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Ive been reading through the posts, and I may have read through the answer...Im not sure.

I know the order in which things should be done. I just dont know the timeline.

Should I plan to do all this treatment in one day? Like go fill up, put the seafoam in the tank, come home, pour it in the oil, then pour it into the booster line, letting it die out... Then run the smoke out of it...

Like do it all at the same time? Or should I be putting it in the tank, running that tank out. Then put it in the oil...drive 100 miles...change the oil. THEN put it in the booster... etc etc.

Justin
Old 03-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Very informative, I had no idea what Seafoam was. Thanks dude.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Whoops, that was the wrong thread, I do have a 92' Crown Vic though for my winter car. it's a V-8 but I bet it's slower than your V-6 haha. It's got some issues
Old 03-20-2007, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

i had a lot of gunk come out the exhaust as usual the first time i did this and my O2 sensors ended up getting clogged because of that. so i had to buy new O2s. did this happen to anybody else?
Old 03-20-2007, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Hey choco your advise has been great but i have a 2000 chevy 2500 with a 6.0 engine and i cant find the brake booster line and dont know where to pour it thanx
Old 03-22-2007, 10:03 PM
Teching In

as far as I can tell -- SEAFOAM screwed up my land rover's transmission. After putting it in the rover, I no longer have reverse. It seized up the valve body's reverse primary valve. yes, there were problems there before -- however, I had forward and reverse drives. LUCAS is better stuff for transmissions -- putting LUCAS in has helped get forward gears shifting correctly.

the salesman at the carcraft store swore by seafoam -- now I'm swearing at him..!!!!!

DON"T USE SEAFOAM UNLESS YOU HAVE A TON OF MONEY IN THE BANK TO SPEND ON NEW CAR PARTS....

GIMMICK!!!

Last edited by cold_surfer; 03-22-2007 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

Default TA Video

I shot a new video of the smoke screen coming out of my 02 WS6 after doing the Seafoam treatment. The car has 32k miles, this was the first treatment.

VIDEO
Old 03-29-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol cold surfer. your tlaking about gimmicks. what doy ou think lucas oil does?.. rofl.

ive heard of seafoam a few times but never tried it. i did use that gunk engine cleaner stuff a while back in the oil. but my oil didnt look in blacker than normal after the drain so i dont think that stuff works that well. anyhow im gonna try the seafoam tommorow or saturday. depending on when i get my bent driver side knuckle fixed
Old 03-30-2007, 08:48 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by cold_surfer
as far as I can tell -- SEAFOAM screwed up my land rover's transmission. After putting it in the rover, I no longer have reverse. It seized up the valve body's reverse primary valve. yes, there were problems there before -- however, I had forward and reverse drives. LUCAS is better stuff for transmissions -- putting LUCAS in has helped get forward gears shifting correctly.

the salesman at the carcraft store swore by seafoam -- now I'm swearing at him..!!!!!

DON"T USE SEAFOAM UNLESS YOU HAVE A TON OF MONEY IN THE BANK TO SPEND ON NEW CAR PARTS....

GIMMICK!!!
this has nothing to do with seafoam trans doctor...

i would never put a foreign additive in my transmission. automatic transmissions are A LOT more sensitive than engines and the clearances are a lot tighter, not to mention there are A LOT more small parts. this is why trans fluid has so many more detergents in it than motor oil - you need to keep your trans CLEAN or else bad stuff happens. i wouldn't feel comfortable putting any kind of additive in my transmission, EVER, and i would recommend that you don't, regardless of brand.

seafoam for your engine, however, is time-tested, age-old and proven. it won't hurt anything. if you foul a plug or damage an O2, there were breaking anyway. if you read the bottle, it says "will not harm plugs or O2's". if they go out after seafoam, they were already going out.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:51 AM
Tech Resident

I shot a new video of the smoke screen coming out of my 02 WS6 after doing the Seafoam treatment. The car has 32k miles, this was the first treatment.

VIDEO
i love the script you wrote for the movie.

"holy cow! holy God!"

i challenge anyone to watch this video and not laugh. i started cracking up when he said that then mashed the gas and smoked out the street

Quick Reply: How To Seafoam Your Car