General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How To Seafoam Your Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 09:02 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GXPPOWER
lol cold surfer. your tlaking about gimmicks. what doy ou think lucas oil does?.. rofl.

ive heard of seafoam a few times but never tried it. i did use that gunk engine cleaner stuff a while back in the oil. but my oil didnt look in blacker than normal after the drain so i dont think that stuff works that well. anyhow im gonna try the seafoam tommorow or saturday. depending on when i get my bent driver side knuckle fixed
try seafoam in your oil. if you wanna see black oil...wow! it gets prettttty dirrrrty.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heh i was tlaking to the midas guy as i had my car fixed. asked him about seafoam he had heard of it but. and i told him your process. and he agreed it probly would help. and he told me about the inejection cleaning process. and its similiar other than they remove fuel rails and force them clean. ect but he said people will drive a james bond smoke screen after for a bit.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default update

"Update #2"

first major thing ive been able to notice. my car has Never idled so smooth. no hesitation or burps or anything it feels almost like a v6 lol. i wish i had done a before and after video of my idle which wasnt bad in the first place but wow. its like reformatting a computer. you never realize how much performance you have lost till you clean everything out.

"updated #1"

went for a "spirited" drive a few times i would punch it on the way to the interstate and it would bog down and some blue smoke would billow out but before i efen made it to the hiway about 2 miles away almost all smoke that came out was gone. and going Wot 2-3 puff of smoke would come out then after that no smoke back to the way it was. so i guess my seamfoam experience was 100% success. now ill rive around some tommorow to let the seafoam work into the oil and change the oil. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

well i seafomed my car. right now its doing the idle for 10-15 min before the drive. the took a few turn overs to start it up a a few quick taps of the gas to make it smooth out. but not a single trace of smoke. dunno mabe when i get on the hiway ill see some. or mabe sinve i have the dual exhaust and such the smoke is fading out quicker. anyhow. it worked exactly as you said. as far as brake booster being f-cking hard to remove lol. and the car stalling after the last bit of foam is dropped is sucked through the brake boost. one question. when i was doing the reall small doses. my car would rev up each time. did yours do that also?

Last edited by GXPPOWER; 03-30-2007 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default noticed something new again

i can hear the infamous piston slap ticking sound. more so than before. im guessing that the seafoam cleaned out carbon build up and other junk that was probly absorbing the sound more?

also my oil was blacker than what it should have been normally cause of the seafoam. but it wasnt even worse than say a normal oil change. though it was extended mobil 1 syn and i only had about 2k miles on it. still it was the thick black sludge so many of yall make your oil out to look like. though i did only drive it 76 miles with the seafoam in the oil so mabe it didnt have enough time tobreak it all down?

Last edited by GXPPOWER; 03-31-2007 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:17 AM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 98 T/A with 39k on it..Now has 85k..I always run synthetic in this thing and by 3000 miles the oil is black as hell..Guess it's time for a seafoam treatment?
Old 04-01-2007, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

heh i would think so. i run usually 4-6k miles with my mobil 1 or castrl 0-30 and its never pure black or whatever always seems to have a thousand or so more miles left in it.

oh and nice cars Dan!
Old 04-02-2007, 12:04 AM
Launching!

Well I decided to post my up my seafoam results. I have a 97 chey lumina with about 109,000 miles on it. I just bought it about two weeks ago for $800. Well I bought two cans of seafoam and a bottle of deep creep. I drove the car to the gas staion. It already about 3/4 of a tank of gas so I put in one bottle of seafoam and filled the rest up with gas. I turned the car on and let it Idled for about 2 or 3 min. Then I left the gas station. When I got to my first stop light. Everything seemed like normal until the light turned green and then I noticed the throttle response had improved a good deal. Then when I got home I put about a half of bottle in the crankcase. I let the seafoam sit in the oil for about 30 min then fired it up. The car started surging at first. Then I tapped on the gas and it purred like a kitten. This all happened yesterday. When I removed the brake boost line the car wanted to die so I played with the throttle a little until the car held its idled. Then I stuck the funnel in the brake boost line and then put the other half of can. (the hose clamp was missing off the brake boost line) Everything happened just like everyone said it would. The car reved a little higher when I slowly poured it in and then at about the last third of the seafoam. I dumped the remainder in the funnel keeping it away from my face. The car stalled out and let out a little seafoam spray as well. After letting the car sit for about 30min. I turned it on the car. It took about three cranks and then it fired right up. There was very little smoke at the start, but after a couple bumps of the gas everything changed. The muffler looked like a smoke stack. A nice smooth flow of black smoke for about the next 15min. I took the car out of a drive after about a half a block the car seemed to stop smoking. I did about four WOT runs and the car feels more responsive through the whole RPM range. I will be doing the deep creep treatment later this week. And will post my results after that as well. I know this was a long post. I see some people still have some questions or are a little uncertain about the product. Just make sure you keep the funnel away from your face. I would recommend that anyone could and should do this treatment to there cars or trucks. Good luck and thanks Choco for the write up.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Launching!

Well I did the deep creep treatment today. I took the air duct off the throttle body and seen how nasty it was in the throttle body. I opened up the throttle body and sprayed the deep creep in side the intake. I also used a soft green scrub pad to clean the throttle body. I could not believe how much carbon build up there was. It was real nasty, but I got it all cleaned up. It took about 15 min because I let the deep creep soak real good before I cleaned up everything. When I got done I decide to take it for a test drive. The throttle response was a 100% better. The car used to take off like a 4 banger but now it feels like a V-6. I work with the guy that sold me the car. I will let him test drive it today just to see what he thinks about the car. I would like to thank choco for the write up again, and I also would like to thank everyone else that wrote about the experinse with the seafoam treatment. If it was not for you all I would have a V-6 that drove like an import.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by WS6RED2002TA
Well I did the deep creep treatment today. I took the air duct off the throttle body and seen how nasty it was in the throttle body. I opened up the throttle body and sprayed the deep creep in side the intake. I also used a soft green scrub pad to clean the throttle body. I could not believe how much carbon build up there was. It was real nasty, but I got it all cleaned up. It took about 15 min because I let the deep creep soak real good before I cleaned up everything. When I got done I decide to take it for a test drive. The throttle response was a 100% better. The car used to take off like a 4 banger but now it feels like a V-6. I work with the guy that sold me the car. I will let him test drive it today just to see what he thinks about the car. I would like to thank choco for the write up again, and I also would like to thank everyone else that wrote about the experinse with the seafoam treatment. If it was not for you all I would have a V-6 that drove like an import.
np. i take it you're not speaking about the f-body in your sig? because if your LS1 feels like a V6 we still got a problem
Old 04-04-2007, 10:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
np. i take it you're not speaking about the f-body in your sig? because if your LS1 feels like a V6 we still got a problem
Take a look at three post above I was talking about my 97 chey lumina. I have not done the TA yet.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:00 PM
Teching In

HI Guys,

I just seafoam'd my my 96 Z28 w/ LT1 per Choco's instructions. I have a couple of concerns I was hoping someone could address

1) When I removed the brake vac hose- the car seems to start idling rough and as soon as I pour the Seafoam- the car started to rev like crazy lol. Is this correct?

2) When I poured the last "gulp" of the seafoam into the hose- the car didnt stall out but it almost did. I say it took me 5-10secs before I turned off the car. Should I seafoam again until the car cuts out completely?

3) After I seafoam'd the car- I waited 15 min and then turned over the engine. I let the car idle. I took the car for a 5-10 min drive. During the drive- there wasnt a lot of smoke (if any). When I got home and rev'd my car like crazy- no smoke. Did I do something wrong?

Thanks,
Derek
Old 04-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by ddasilva99
HI Guys,

I just seafoam'd my my 96 Z28 w/ LT1 per Choco's instructions. I have a couple of concerns I was hoping someone could address

1) When I removed the brake vac hose- the car seems to start idling rough and as soon as I pour the Seafoam- the car started to rev like crazy lol. Is this correct?
you're fine. imagine what your vacuum would do if you sucked up a big puddle. it's going to act funny. it'll buck or rev, smoke, and maybe even ping.

2) When I poured the last "gulp" of the seafoam into the hose- the car didnt stall out but it almost did. I say it took me 5-10secs before I turned off the car. Should I seafoam again until the car cuts out completely?
you should be fine. it won't hurt to do a second seafoam treatment, but i'd wait on it a little while. build up a few miles before you do another treatment if you choose.

3) After I seafoam'd the car- I waited 15 min and then turned over the engine. I let the car idle. I took the car for a 5-10 min drive. During the drive- there wasnt a lot of smoke (if any). When I got home and rev'd my car like crazy- no smoke. Did I do something wrong?
nah, your engine probably wasn't that dirty. in retrospect, it's a good thing. you could try it again, though. if you do, i suggest you let it sit in there for half an hour to an hour or so before starting it up.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

Nice Sticky (I've never seen it before....don't really come in this section much).

Kudos!
Old 04-04-2007, 10:32 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Nate81Camaro
Nice Sticky (I've never seen it before....don't really come in this section much).

Kudos!
thx dood
Old 04-05-2007, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

has anyone ever done a dyno before and after seafoam to see if infact you do gain alot of power that was lost do to sludge and carbon build up?

cause i know the butt dyno can lie but im breaking the tires loose alot quicker and easier now. and doing it at higher rolls. and i cant be imagining that.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

and yet neither autozone nor pep boys had seafoam
Old 04-06-2007, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

advance auto carries it. cant belive those 2 wouldnt i would assume oreilly's would.

my AA has moved the seafoam to the front of the store after i told them how well it works lol.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i got a ?....im not exactly sure how much oil i have in my engine right now.....i filled it w/5.5 qts last oil change but i lost some about a month ago and added a qt shortly thereafter....should i just estimate how much seafoam to add into my oil?? will a slight diff hurt anything if im off by some??
Old 04-10-2007, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

i read somewhere that a guy blew his 3800 engine from seafoaming it, cyl 5 was hydrolocked or something
Old 04-10-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Regular

Im very skeptical about putting it in my oil.. are you sure this is a good idea? I dont think I would want to leave it in there for more then 15 minutes idleing or so. IT just doesnt sound like a good idea

Quick Reply: How To Seafoam Your Car