General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How To Seafoam Your Car

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other day my Camaro started idleing kinda funky (idled fine after warm-up).... but it bothered me.... It also bothered me the way the car would react after giving a good ammount of acceleration and suddenly letting off the gas...... it would kinda bounce down lightly.... (thats the only way i can explain it)....

Well i seafoamed the car today.... and the idle has never been smoother.... the deceleration and acceleration seems smoother too......

I didn't get nearly as much smoke as i wanted.... lol.... although I did have one really big puff of smoke when i first when WOT...... one guy's face was damn near priceless as he watched me fly by with a cloud of smoke trailing behind me..... made me chuckle like hell....

All in all... it was easy... not too pricey.... and damn well worth it..... my car has 60k miles and probably not as much carbon build up as most people..... but it still made a differnce....

Thanks for the writeup!! Really appreciate it.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:10 PM
Teching In

Anyone be able to send a few bottles to Holland,want to do it too for my '98 Z28 !

Last edited by marthyh; 07-30-2007 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

PM me marthyh, i can hook you up.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well guys i sea foamed my 1986 toyota corolla 2 days ago.. OMG i've never seen this much smoke in my LIFEEE!!! I made 2 pases up and down my street right in front of my house and my mom said she could not see the trees nor the road after the 2nd pass I was loving every minute of it..

Then i got on a busy freeway right by my house and got on it a lil bit and blew some smoke on all the people behind me .. I haven't laughed this hard in awhile..

Just thought i would tell you guys about my experience. Also it seems like the car is running alot better now and is also idling better to sea foam.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
can you seafoam a boosted car, particularly an STS car? Just asking, cause i dont know if seafoam is bad for the oil feed/return, oil pump, or turbo? also, to put it in the gas tank and such, would this still be possible to drive with a boosted setup?

i asked this awhile back, but never got an answer.....
Old 08-05-2007, 11:04 PM
TECH Resident

Seafoamed my 98 today.... Seafoam is a great thing... The car smoked quite a bit, but The car idles better, rpms are smoother and it does pull a little bit harder all around... Thanks for the write up... worked perfectly.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:15 AM
Launching!

Another satisfied customer present. I seafoamed my car today and I wasn't too impressed at first when I started it up, there wasn't really any smoke when I let it idle. After 10 minutes or so I hopped in and took it for a ride. I started accelerating hard and it almost stalled so I let off and got back on it, and then pooof! HUGE cloud of smoke shot out the back and continued for nearly a mile. I couldn't see **** in my rearview other than a huge mass of smoke trailing behind me. I went by my neighbors (who are having a cookout in there front lawn btw ) with smoke bellowing in their direction. The guy cooking on the grill started to wave and then the look of wtf? came upon his face.

Overall I was very impressed, the car seems alot smoother and even more powerful. I'm having the car tuned on monday so I figured I'd do this to make sure I can get as most ponies as possible, and I was very pleased. Nice writeup choco.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99RebelZ28
I went by my neighbors (who are having a cookout in there front lawn btw ) with smoke bellowing in their direction. The guy cooking on the grill started to wave and then the look of wtf? came upon his face.

HAHAHA
Well its time for me to do it to my car, and my neighborhood hates me already being we have a home owners association and all and the president of is a *****. I see this as a perfect opportunity to **** them off.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:14 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan33187
HAHAHA
Well its time for me to do it to my car, and my neighborhood hates me already being we have a home owners association and all and the president of is a *****. I see this as a perfect opportunity to **** them off.
Homeowners Association FTL. I take it you live in a development? I bet your retention basin is an overgrown forest 20 year maintenance bonds are where it's at.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:43 PM
TECH Regular

WTF LOL I just had like one of the best laughs of my life!!!!!

I've seafoamed other cars before, but **** this one takes the cake!!!!! I used a whole bottle for the combustion chamber cleaning, and I let it sit for 15 minutes w/ the engine off. Upon a (hard) restart, I smoked the **** out of the front of my house, smoke coming up from the hood, and came into the interior! I'm just like "I gotta get the HELL OUTTA HERE" so I back out of my driveway, some guy driving by beeps (neighbor like 6 houses down) I'm like "it's on". As soon as I put it in D and hit the gas it smokes like a ****! Then my neighbor banks a left to his driveway, when I pass I give it half throttle and SMOKE EM OUT! LOLOLOL!!!!! The car smoked under any throttle for the next 15 miles of driving. Just looking behind me and seeing a screen of white is priceless! Went to the nearest highway and let her rip. Great entertainment. I coulda gotten a ticket today and I'd still be laughing my *** off!
Old 08-29-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

i used this a year ago on my DD 89 RS 305tbi and smoked out my whole street lol!! this sh*t works great!!! DO NOT BE AFFRAID TO USE IT!!!
Old 09-04-2007, 09:16 AM
Teching In

I just did the seafoam process. (The one through the brake booster hose).

Well, went to start it back up. Fired right up the first time. I let it idle for about 10 minutes, revving it up to about 3k every few minutes to try to force some smoke. No luck. No smoke show for me.

I then drove to the interstate, it's a 5 mile winding road with hardly any traffic. If there was any smoke to be had I was going to get it.

Doing about 3k up a steep hill and i started getting some smoke. Not alot but a fair amount. I drove it pretty spirited until the interstate and turned around. On the way back i knew i needed to floor it to convince any last bit of smoke that it needed to remove itself from my car.

I get right up to a nice long flat straight stretch. As i'm about a 1/8 mile away from it a cop pulls onto it from a side road and procedes to do 10 under the speed limit. (35 in a 45).

I slow down to 20 and wait for him to get a good distance ahead, and i nailed it from 35mph.

Good god i think i gained 50hp. Still no smoke however.

It does seem to idle a little better. The idle has been a tad bouncy for my tastes lately and i figured with 157k miles on it, it probably wouldn't hurt to grab some seafoam.

Nice write-up here.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

choco/anyone - would you suggest doin the seafoam through the brake booster if theres a slight oil leak from the main seal?? thanx

Last edited by 1Loudz28; 09-04-2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:28 PM

Default Seafoamed my car today

2001 Z28 5.7 liter with almost 50K miles
Followed the directions verbatum except have not done the "deep creep" portion yet.
I still need to run a 100 miles or so on the oil and burn through the treated tank of gas. I had a real smoker.
Decided to do the suction portion in an empty cul de sac near my place. When I exited onto the main highway with a little burst, I think I may have choked 2 people at the Bus stop. Had to stop for the light and was hoping no cops were around to give me a ticket for air pollution. Casually strolled 1/4 mile to the freeway and dropped another cloud on the on-ramp and a few more smaller purges on the freeway. Exited the freeway and was still smoking just a tiny bit. Returned on the freeway back towards my house with one final fleeting trace of smoke on the on-ramp without any more smoke.
Should be able to have the miles for the oil in a day or two.
I'll probably change the plugs soon too (never changed). I did put in a new fuel filter prior to running out this tank. I didnt see any reason to "dislodge" all the crap in the old filter and send it to my jets as this seafoam did its thing.
So considering my car is at 50K and all ive done is consistantly change the oil/filter and air filter, Im sure my car will appreciate the maintanence.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Teching In

Hey man i just wanted to say awesome job on this seafoam write up. I Was one of the idiots who didnt know what seafoam was until now and i am going to buy the **** and do it tommorow. So once again THANK YOU
Old 09-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Teching In

Hey nice write up man, i was planning on doing my camaro today but my girlfriend convinced me to do her sunfire. It's an 02 with 84KM on the clock. I really wasn't expecting a huge smoke show but during the idle portion it was pretty good and then nothing. Oh was i wrong, as soon as i started driving away, it was crazy. But i have to say, the car runs alot smoother and revs faster. This stuff really works. I can't wait to see what her oil looks like. Doing the camaro next week.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by 1Loudz28
choco/anyone - would you suggest doin the seafoam through the brake booster if theres a slight oil leak from the main seal?? thanx
I don't personally see how it would make a difference doing it through the brake booster. I'd still do it.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Tech Resident

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone, especially Rich3fan for the flattering

I just seafoamed my car last weekend. I did the brake booster step and used some deep creep in my intake manifold. My car only has 44k on the clock and I try to take care of my baby. No smoke at idle, there was quite a bit of smoke for about half a mile just cruising, then one decent puff at WOT (I had to stop my WOT because it was pinging so badly), then it was gone.

I'll tell you what though, Seafoam sure does make your idle a lot quieter. I could barely hear it after the Seafoam process. Good thing the LT's went on this week. Fixed that right up
Old 09-09-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 98 camaro I just bought with the V6, has 104K miles. Probably a good idea to do this you think? Never was done by the previous owner I'm sure, they didn't even keep up with the brakes all that well.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:45 AM
12 Second Club

my car has 70k ill prolly seafoam it around 95k since i just did a tune up not long ago...great write up btw...its amazing how $5 will do wonders lol

Quick Reply: How To Seafoam Your Car