General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ok Coolant Question, Somebody Chime In And Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ok Coolant Question, Somebody Chime In And Help!

Ok i have totally flushed my coolant system ( with the prestone flush kit) got it all back to straight water and was planning on using green stuff & distilled water to put back in it ! Yes, i know your suppose to use the orange stuff (dex-cool) but i feel safer using green and plan on flushing it every 1-1/2 yrs at the most, so what type of green stuff do you use i know the extended life prestone is just like dex-cool without the orange color and i want to stay away from anything similar to dex-cool! Is there a straight green brand i can use with distilled water? let me know thanks .........
Old 04-08-2007, 12:39 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

If you plan to flush it every 1-2 years, dexcool would never do you any harm. Just something to keep in mind.

Most autoparts stores around me still have striaght green coolant, if that's what you really want.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

dont wanna deal with dex-cool because of rumors...... eating seals up, it really dont start protecting till afrer 5000 miles ....etc..and the deal with air lock in your system if you have a small leak it will clump up supposidly ......green seems easier to deal with in my case.... im looking for someone that runs green in their own car and a brand name.....
Old 04-08-2007, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
If you plan to flush it every 1-2 years, dexcool would never do you any harm. Just something to keep in mind.
x2
Old 04-08-2007, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default check this out

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=coolant+flush

and this is the november 2006 issue of the magazine !!!
Old 04-08-2007, 01:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Originally Posted by CULATR
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=coolant+flush

and this is the november 2006 issue of the magazine !!!
I dunno. I'm now.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea, that article and all the hype on the orange stuff you see on here and there's alot ....plus my uncle found out i was going to flush my coolant and said your not going to put that orange stuff back in there are you? when i said yea, why ? he says because its know to eat stuff up and is acidic based which pretty much sold me being he's a mechanic and his other mechanic that works on car's, both told me to use green instead then i came upon the article so ....im planning on putting in green was just curious what brand someone was already possibly running......
Old 04-08-2007, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

yea, that article and all the hype on the orange stuff you see on here and there's alot ....plus my uncle found out i was going to flush my coolant and said your not going to put that orange stuff back in there are you? when i said yea, why ? he says because its know to eat stuff up and is acidic based which pretty much sold me being he's a mechanic and his other mechanic that works on car's, both told me to use green instead then i came upon the article so ....im planning on putting in green was just curious what brand someone was already possibly running......
I heard orange was better protectant for LS1's or any other alum eng for that matter. I'm gonna talk to my bud on monday at the chevy dealership he's a tech see what he says.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

let me know, there's too much back and forth talk between the two??
Old 04-08-2007, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Dexcool is fine. I have had low mileage, middle mileage, and high mileage LS1, and never had any problems using it.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

I just flushed out my dexcool and went to universal green coolant and I'm not looking back. I've heard way too much against dexcool from many informed sources. As for the assertion that dexcool is less corrosive to aluminum blocks, that may be true, but like ChocoTaco says, your block will still be intact after you are dead and your car is rusting in a junkyard. In the here and now, I'd give more thought to your waterpump, gaskets etc...

If you are going to flush your coolant every two years anyway, you might as well use green, since the main benefit of dexcool is that it is designed to last for five years.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:57 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I've had about a half dozen dexcool-only cars over the last 10 years now. It's never once caused me a problem. And it never will, so long as you change out the coolant every 2-3 years.

There is not a single article that will mean more to me than my own personal experiance.

And for those of you that think green stuff does no harm, I've had plenty of problems with that stuff on my older cars, so think again.

Moral of the story:

No matter what coolant you use, change it out often, and you won't have any problems..... don't change it out often, and you're just asking for trouble, no matter what type it is.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok so as long as either color is all flushed out of your system and you use distilled water.... green or orange is fine to use right? If there left in there together thats what eats aluminum up right??
Old 04-09-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Talked to my bud at the dealership there's no brob with Dexcool at all as long as you change out the coolant every 1-2 or 2-3 years like RPM WS6 said.

Last edited by Kage; 04-09-2007 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the info i decided being as i'll change it out every 1-2.5yrs im going to go with the green stuff ....thanks though
Old 04-09-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the info i decided being as i'll change it out every 1-2.5yrs im going to go with the green stuff ....thanks though
You better hope you get all of the dexcool out of the block. Also Green is much more harsh on aluminum blocks. All this talk about green being proven and better... Why are all the big name car manufacturers not using green still then? This is why Choco shouldn't be allowed to lose his virginity and reproduce
Old 04-09-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaroz
You better hope you get all of the dexcool out of the block. Also Green is much more harsh on aluminum blocks. All this talk about green being proven and better... Why are all the big name car manufacturers not using green still then? This is why Choco shouldn't be allowed to lose his virginity and reproduce

choco had nothing to do with me deciding to use green and right now all i have in my block is pure distillled water and just to be safe i've been draining it and refilling it everyday for the last 3 days to make sure alll was clear...... i know if both orange/green are in your car it will eat away at aluminum and so on but has it been proven that green will eat up aluminum by itself??? this made me decided to use green stuff... read this out of the master tech magazine...https://ls1tech.com/forums/showt...t=coolant+flush

Last edited by CULATR; 04-09-2007 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes the dexcool stuff is fine aslong as you keep it maintained ie flush drain or refill periodicaly i work at a gm dealer as a tech. from some of the stuff i have seen come thru there, i just go ahead and use the green stuff in my cars. air is dexcools worst enemy it will turn to a clay like substance with in a few months. have seen happen on almost brand new cars

Last edited by 2000badbird; 04-10-2007 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Originally Posted by Camaroz
Why are all the big name car manufacturers not using green still then? This is why Choco shouldn't be allowed to lose his virginity and reproduce

Old 04-09-2007, 10:53 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula413
I just flushed out my dexcool and went to universal green coolant and I'm not looking back. I've heard way too much against dexcool from many informed sources. As for the assertion that dexcool is less corrosive to aluminum blocks, that may be true, but like ChocoTaco says, your block will still be intact after you are dead and your car is rusting in a junkyard. In the here and now, I'd give more thought to your waterpump, gaskets etc...
I'd be very careful quoting him...most people on here consider him to be a complete idiot.