General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How many times should I have to drain this damn thing before it is empty!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How many times should I have to drain this damn thing before it is empty!?

I needed to do a coolant flush, but I didn't expect it to take days.

I have probably ran the car and drained it about 30 times. The first several times were adding water and cleaning it out. But the last 20 times or so have been trying to get it bone dry so I can add new coolant. It doesn't seem to matter how many times I let it run for 5 minutes and drain, there is still fricken water in the thing.

I'll drain it about 5 times, then notice that there is still water in the top if I open of the resorvoir. So I give up and go at it again the next day. There won't be visible water if I open up the filler cap, so I figure "Good, the rest must be flowing in there and I can drain it out." After I drain it, I'll open up the filler cap and there will be water up to the top again!!!

It's like a damn cartoon, what in hell is going on?
Old 06-26-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy some prestone radiator flush and follow the directions on the bottle. Drain from the petcock on the radiator and then remove the line from the reservoir and flush it out with a hose.

I usually open the petcock pop the radiator cap off and run the hose straight into the radiator after the prestone. The car will only draw coolant from the reservoir as any residual air works its way out of the cooling system.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have already cycled through Zerex Super Cleaner and Zerex Super Flush.

This stuff:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....8&postcount=19

How do I remove the line from the reservoir? I just want to get the rest of the water out of that so that I can finally add coolant.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just pull the cap off the reservoir where the overflow and feed lines are. If you really want to be picky about it you could siphon it, or remove the whole reservoir and dump it.

I just fill the system about 3/4 with 50/50 dexcool, run it with all the caps on so it sucks water from the reservoir about 1/2 way and then fill the rest of the reservoir with pure dexcool. From there out just run it to get all the air out and top the radiator off with 50/50. So long as you've got the water out of the block and radiator this will give you a mixture that's close enough to 50/50.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:36 AM
Launching!

Isn't it bad to run regular hose water through the LS1?
Old 06-27-2007, 01:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes....its got deposits that can eat at the cooling system of our motors, if your going to run water through it, its best to be distilled
Old 07-07-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike44138
Just pull the cap off the reservoir where the overflow and feed lines are

Exactly where is this cap? Can I get at it from the top of the engine bay or the underside and just screw it off?

Sorry, I'm trying to learn but have basically no experience when it comes to working on cars.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you have put tap water in the system, it's best to remove the block plugs on each side in order to get ALL the water out, so it does not cause deposits in the system. I firmly believe in using DISTILLED water, it's cheap enough.