General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Have a few noises, narrowed them down..

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 12:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Have a few noises, narrowed them down..

Okay so i just did my spring install, and i have this very annoying clunking sound coming from the Front right, i checked all bolts and everything is tight...it almost just sounds like something is loose, but there isn't....it only happens when i hit any bump whatsoever. When i'm going 50Mph+ you can't even notice it. I can't get it to do it by pushing up and down on the car, either. I did a little search, and didn't find much but 1 thread the guy described it just how i would..its like a tin like metallic sound....almost like a tapping sound when going over bumps..or any time it gets the rear of the car going up and down.

Also i have one in the rear of the car. I did a little search, and didn't find much but 1 thread the guy described it just how i would..its like a tin like metallic sound....almost like a tapping sound when going over bumps..or any time it gets the rear of the car going up and down. It's definitely somewhere in the left-rear, i can however get it to make the sound by pushing up and down on the car. It doesn't sound like its coming from the spring/shock, but slightly behind that and to the right.. I really can't look up in there and see anything moving, but with these sounds my car honestly sounds like a piece of ****..

Last edited by slikrider20; 03-14-2008 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:56 AM
Launching!

One time when I changed my brakes there is a little metal clip that I lost that holds the break pad from bouncing. Kinda sounded like tinging noise with out it in. So check you brakes
Old 03-14-2008, 02:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I read your original post again. I see you are on stock shocks. To me it sounds like your bottoming out and hitting the bump stops when you go over bumps. Its possible your shocks are on there way out. Stock shocks are no good with lowering springs. The rear end noise sounds like your sway bar bushings. Lube them up and see if the sound goes away.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Resident

I don't think it's bottoming out. Imagine driving really slow on rock, it makes your car jolt up and down quickly, but not very much. This is when it does it the most. It doesn't just do it when i hit a big bump and it comes crashing down. It's hard to explain, it just sounds like something is loose. At first the sound seemed like it came from both sides, and i found that my sway bar was looose. So i tightened it up and now it just does it on the front left. Weird. If i hit a big bump you can't even really hear it. It just happens (alot) over little minor bumps going relatively slow
Old 03-14-2008, 10:06 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah i took the car down to To Haas and they say the rear sound is coming from a bent track bar, which is the same thing as a sway bar isn't it? And the sound from the front they say is that shock gone bad.

So basically i'm fucked, i have to spend more money....i just want some shocks that will work with lowering springs i dont even care about the ride, i just want something that will work.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:02 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone else have any ideas of what i should do..? What shocks (affordable) should i get with the hotchkis, i see the bilsteins are hard to find...
Old 03-14-2008, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

wow, not to hijack this thread but jesus, your car is a near mirror clone of mine lol

Old 03-16-2008, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by flyinZ
I recently had my car lowered about 1.5", and now I have this rattle. It almost sounds like my swaybar is hitting something, but I can't place it..I've double-checked all the bolts that had to come off, nothin'. Once i jack the car up, I can't see anything hitting on the swaybar. The noise is only coming from the driver's side, and it does it on the small bumps. The noise doesn't get any louder with the big bumps, just stays the same....Any suggestions?

That is exactly the sound i'm talking about, when you hit little bumps it sounds really bad but when you hit big bumps you can't even really hear it at all. TO HAAS thought it was a bad shock, but it never did it before, just after i installed my spring....anyone have a freaking clue?? Mine only does it on the drivers side, too....and i thought it was the swaybar as well but i tightened up everything. Initially, the sway bar was loose so i tightened up both sides and the rattle went from both sides to just the left. Is it possible i tightened up the sway bar but somehow it's not sitting evenly and pulling up and down on one side?

Again, you can't make the sound by pushing up and down on the car, i don't think it's the shock..