General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Old 04-29-2016, 04:23 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides

--

See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

LS1 Body Control Module Problems - The Fix

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok i know in this thread are all the answers but i cant figure out to get the bcm out. I have all the other steps out of the way everything is moved and im right at the bcm.

pic one is the front side of the bcm with the pull clip i guess you would call it not sure.

pic two is the back side of the bcm on the right side with a small flat head wedged on the side to something that looks like it holds the bcm in place if u go up from there your stuck.

pic three is also the back side of the bcm on the left side with a big flat head wedged in to again what looks like a holder

im unsure if i even need to have the flatheads where they are at all i dont no where to go from here.

HELP
Attached Thumbnails LS1 Body Control Module Problems - The Fix-bcm-front.jpg   LS1 Body Control Module Problems - The Fix-bcm-back-1.jpg   LS1 Body Control Module Problems - The Fix-bcm-back-2.jpg  
Old 01-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

You just have to work your hands up in there and pry vigorously on that plastic housing that holds it. Pull hard on the right side until you get it to loosen and then you'll be able to loosen it on the other side. It's a struggle ... you just have to work it.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:09 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Just got this done this afternoon. My radio and power windows have been going in and out intermittently for the past year... Just finally had time to get it done.

Thanks to whoever put the pics on page 10.

I only found one that was discolored / corroded looking. Hopefully this fixes the issue.

Thanks to all who contributed to this from the start.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question? My driver window doesnt want to roll up or down most of the time. I just started having issues with, what I think is the monsoon amp cutting in and out. The radio stays on it does plays music. I just lose all bass. Could this be my problem? Or can someone steer me in the right direction where to look? I just stumbled across this thread. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2012, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my yellow wire to the radio (ignition wire??) causes the radio to get power at all times key in, out, or lost. i just want it fixed so i can listen to the radio again. someone refered me to the bcm fix. i dont recall anything in this thread like my radio problem. and radio fuses are fine. should i check a fuse under the hood for anything?
Old 01-16-2012, 07:37 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by silverfox89
Question? My driver window doesnt want to roll up or down most of the time. I just started having issues with, what I think is the monsoon amp cutting in and out. The radio stays on it does plays music. I just lose all bass. Could this be my problem? Or can someone steer me in the right direction where to look? I just stumbled across this thread. Thanks!
This is not the same problem discussed in this thread. The BCM problem discussed here causes the power to cut out completely to both the radio and the power windows (both windows).

What year/model car do you have? The only f-body that would lose just bass due to the amp cutting out would be 93-96 Firebirds with the 10-speaker premium audio system. Monsoon systems have the amp powering ALL speakers (Camaro) or all except tweeters (Firebird) so you would notice more than just a loss of bass if the amp was cutting out. It is possible that the amp is defective and only cutting a couple of channels but it is somewhat unlikely. It is more likely that your sail panel subs are blown - a common problem with the factory speakers.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:44 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by 14k
my yellow wire to the radio (ignition wire??) causes the radio to get power at all times key in, out, or lost. i just want it fixed so i can listen to the radio again. someone refered me to the bcm fix. i dont recall anything in this thread like my radio problem. and radio fuses are fine. should i check a fuse under the hood for anything?
This issue also is not related to the BCM fix.

Factory or aftermarket radio? At a guess I would say an aftermarket radio with the wires crossed. Somehow you've got constant (battery) power on the wrong wire. The factory wiring uses yellow for the ignition switched power but aftermarket radios use yellow for battery power which could be the source of the cross-connection.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Factory..
Old 01-16-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 14k
This sounds like an issue with RAP "retained accesory power".

Do your windows work all the time with the key off and out?
Old 01-16-2012, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

No power windows or locks. Stripper z28
Old 01-16-2012, 02:45 PM
TECH Veteran

DOme light work? Go off when you close the door?
Old 01-16-2012, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes it does. Lights. Come on and go off as they should.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WKF
Great write up!
I did mine last night & put over 100 miles on the SS today with NOT ONE hickup with the radio / windows. I even drove it down Dairy Ashford here in Houston just to be sure. (bumpy nasty road)

I'll just add a few pics that may be a little more or less detailed I took that may help out.
Thanks for posting pics ON LS1Tech.

It always bothers me when people put up a tutorial with links to their pics on picasa, photobucket or whatever. A lot of people get those sites blocked at work, or the sites go down after a few years, taking the pics with it.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:46 PM
Teching In

So mine has been having this problem and so I decided to fix it. Well I solder the 5 joints and such and put it back in. When I put it back in, security light came on, it would randomly lock doors and seatbelt light is on constantly, even with the car is off. Dome lights stay on constantly too. My key remote doesn't work at all now. And the trunk would randomly pop...
Old 02-24-2012, 06:53 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Hopefully you'll be able to go back in and repair the problem (probably excess solder shorting connections) rather than having to buy a new BCM.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:02 PM
11 Second Club

I have something totally different here and have searched but unable to find anything? I am building a race car BUT still plan on keeping the stock doors with power windows and mirrors locks. I am currently going through the entire wire harness deleting thing IE radio, ABS, HVAC, wipers, horn, I mean you name it its gone except the door components, well Ive ran into a couple of wires that run into the BCM harness I'm assuming I can just snip those wires?? As of now its just been radio wires and I may run into security wires too. Any electrical guys out there know if I just snip them but still plug in the BCM Ill be good? I mean it will still operate whatever else its supposed to if its plugged in IM ASSUMING? thanks for any input
Old 04-07-2012, 12:38 AM

Question are 97"s the same?

Originally Posted by Racr_X
What year is yours? This fix is for 98-02 cars. After you pull the box from under the dash, the box literally just unsnaps and the board is just lying inside.

My 97 RS is doing the same exact thing only, the power windows have no power to either switch and the deck is coming in and going out. The fuse block shows good power and all the fusses test good. The windows never work and the deck work sometimes. This is my DD and I drive about 2hrs a day so I’m going crazy.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by hot rod ronnie
My 97 RS is doing the same exact thing only, the power windows have no power to either switch and the deck is coming in and going out. The fuse block shows good power and all the fusses test good. The windows never work and the deck work sometimes. This is my DD and I drive about 2hrs a day so I’m going crazy.
You're in luck... the same BCM is used from 97-02 so the fix in this thread should work for you as well.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You're in luck... the same BCM is used from 97-02 so the fix in this thread should work for you as well.
Pullit apart last night, had a relay with one side cracked 15 minutes later put it back togeather and is working great Thanks Guys
Old 05-13-2012, 03:41 PM
Teching In

this is awesome help everyone of my f bodys has had this problem hope i can fix it now

Quick Reply: LS1 Body Control Module Problems - The Fix