General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Old 04-29-2016, 04:23 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides

--

See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

LS1 Body Control Module Problems - The Fix

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default something blown inside the BCM?

I recently attempted the DIY autotrix passenger window fix and after connecting all the needed wires to my two new relays, I pushed the window switch and heard what sounded like a fuse popping?

After the pop, my radio quit working and BOTH of my windows are STUCK DOWN I came across this thread and followed all the advice given. I took the BCM out and thoroughly checked all solder joints. I heated and added some fresh solder TO ALL of the spots on the "T" and ANY joints that looked a little sketchy.

I checked for power at the fuse box, or the radio fuse, and the volt meter read zero. I'm getting power through the brown window wire coming from the harness, before it goes into the BCM, but I'm not getting any power through the same brown wire once it passes through the BCM and connects to the passenger window switch.

I DESPERATELY need some advice about what to check next! Could it be a bad internal relay inside the BCM? Maybe I fried the sucker when I obviously wired some things differently then the diagram One of the ground wires fell off the relay but before I could notice, I hit the window switch to try out my new mod, then came the pop noise!

Hopefully this will explain what I've done so far. The heat index is over 100 freaking degrees and my AC is doing nothing but blowing out the window! I can't even enjoy my $4,000 sound system while sweating my *** off
Old 06-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

There are several fuses that affect the BCM but you should check the COURTESY fuse first.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:32 PM
Teching In

OK, I checked the courtesy fuse and every other fuse too! everything seemed to be all good so I took a ride up to the old "pick and pull" salvage yard.

I pulled a BCM from a 1996 TRANS AM and, BELIEVE IT OR NOT, everything began to work normally! From what I have read the 96 model FBODY with the LT1 motor shouldn't be working on my 02 camaro with an LS1?

Surprise surprise! I did have ONE ISSUE though, I don't have any dash lights? Does anyone know what I need to do to get my gauge lights to work now? I can't believe that this BCM worked and after reading on this forum for 2 days, I expected to at least see security light flashing or lit up?

How can this be? Anyway, the other thing I have to do is reprogram my keyless entry/Alarm remotes. Hopefully they will program to the car through the basic remote setup process but I'll let you know!

This is awesome information because I know there has been some question about replacing your BCM with a USED unit and what year and make will work!

Maybe I got REAL LUCKY and selected a BCM with THE EXACT SAME resistance on the key as mine? I will report back if I can work out the gauge light issue and the remotes programmed!

My neighbor has a 98 Camaro LS1 and he let me connect his BCM to my car and sure enough, the Security light popped on and my car would not start.

I guess I just got VERY LUCKY today when I just so happened to snag the 96 Trans AM BCM that I did because it apparently it had the EXACT same resistance on the key as my Camaro! Talk about some VERY good luck, I believe that would be about 1 out 12 chances?

I am still working on the non-existent gauge lights when the headlights are on? I figured I would let anyone interested in this OLD thread know the reason that this BCM was able to work.(**** LUCK) I still need help with these gauge lights though so I will TRY ANY suggestions! Thanks

OK, I know this was an old thread but I am hoping that someone will chime in here and help me out!

As I explained in the last few posts, I installed a 1996 Trans AM BCM in my 2002 Camaro SS. Everything worked great including the wonderful fact that there was no security light!

WELL, I actually DO have a problem that I also mentioned in one of the last few posts and I CAN'T seem to fix it! Everything is working fine, I even got my key FOB's programmed and they work awesome too!

DOES ANYONE KNOW why my dash lights wouldn't work anymore? Was the wiring in the 96 LT1 BCM slightly different than my original 02 LS1 BCM? It is the ONLY issue that I am having after swapping BCM's and if someone has a schematic of the two BCM's to compare or if anyone knows why this is happening, I would GREATLY appreciate it
Old 07-28-2012, 04:27 AM
Teching In

Gotta love it when a random search on LS1Tech finds the solution to my problem! I've had intermittent issues with radio and windows and now I know what to do to fix it.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just bought another camaro and im sure this is the fix sweeeeeeeeeeet
Old 07-28-2012, 10:08 AM
Staging Lane

Just did the bcm fix on my 97z and all is fine now .SWEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!
Old 08-27-2012, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

My cars not geting fuel or spark, i looked at my bcm thinking it mite be vats. There was a crack at the 'T' so i re soldered it.

Before i soldered it i checked the relays. 1 relay is not energizing up. An still isnt after i re-soldered the crack.

Could someone tell me what the relays power and could this cause no fuel or spark?
Old 08-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by 383camaroz28
My cars not geting fuel or spark, i looked at my bcm thinking it mite be vats. There was a crack at the 'T' so i re soldered it.

Before i soldered it i checked the relays. 1 relay is not energizing up. An still isnt after i re-soldered the crack.

Could someone tell me what the relays power and could this cause no fuel or spark?
The VATS system in the BCM will disable the starter relay and the fuel enable signal to the PCM to prevent starting but has no connection to the ignition or spark.

There are three relays in the BCM that handle the power door locks so they would not energize except when locking or unlocking the doors. I'm sure there are other similar connections in there as well.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

Thats good to know, thanks.

I still got no idea why i dont have spark or fuel.

Im geting no rpm signal an last thing i can think of is a dead cam sensor
Old 09-07-2012, 08:24 AM
Teching In

In the last couple of weeks, every so often my 98 ss will start acting weird while im driving it. The air bag light will flash 3 or 4 times and the radio will cut out/skip and the headlights and dashlights dim or flicker. It almost seems like it gets grounded out for a second? Only has happened two or three times in the last few weeks, and otherwise runs great Sound like the BCM to you guys??
Old 09-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Not likely... the airbag indicator light and the headlights/running lights/instrument lights are not connected to the BCM in any way.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Thats no good... any ideas?
Old 09-27-2012, 12:33 AM

This thread is awesome! I joined this site just to say thank you. I was about to replace my radio lol. I thought it was taking a crap. Didnt even know it was affecting my power windows (since i normally just leave them up) til I read this thread. A couple things to add.....I looked at my module with a magnifying glass and it didnt look like the soldier was messed so i assumed the module was bad. Luckily i decided before I put it back in to just go ahead and put a drop a soldier on the points shown just for the hell of it. Much to my amazment, it's been two weeks and no more radio cutting out! If your reading 7enygmas how to.....You dont need to pull down the black tubing with all the wires running through it as the module will come out without moving it. Or it did for me anyway. One less thing to worry about. Real easy fix. Thanks again!

Last edited by SpeedZ; 09-27-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to do this to mine. Can someone post up some bigger pics for me? I'm more of a visual learner. I've seen some pics but they're a little to small.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:20 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Y2K_Camaro
I need to do this to mine. Can someone post up some bigger pics for me? I'm more of a visual learner. I've seen some pics but they're a little to small.
Try looking at posts 185 through 189 - clicking on the attached pictures makes them bigger.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:14 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Try looking at posts 185 through 189 - clicking on the attached pictures makes them bigger.
Found them. Thank you, that really helps being able to see what I'm actually looking for.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:31 PM

I have 02 trans am. Auto.5.7 My car runs for 10 min. & turn off . I check fuel pressure Is 58 psi. No lights going on on dash.it just cut off . Try Start again .wont Start .after couple hrs. I already change fuel filter. I dont know what it Is..When the car shutoff the"check gages light goes on... But when I try to Start back up..it fills the pressure @ 58 psi.one time But doesnt keep the fuel flow. I replace the fuel pump & still turning off the motor.

What does the pressure fuel sensor has to do whit it...
Old 01-05-2013, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

regarding the very first post to this thread, you can probably thank that bad solder joint on the relay in the BCM to RoHS bullshit and the move to lead-free solders. All the lead-free solders or 100% tin solders have shown to develop problems over time, there are many articles on the web about it including concerns from NASA about satellites failing due to "tin whiskers".
http://www.militaryaerospace.com/art...he-making.html
Old 03-29-2013, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Has anyone done a step by step on how to do this with a video or picture did a search and could not find.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:17 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Sickness7
Has anyone done a step by step on how to do this with a video or picture did a search and could not find.
Seriously??? It would have been better to read through the thread before asking that question.

Even if you didn't bother to take the time to do that, the post just four posts before yours would give a clue:
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00

Quick Reply: LS1 Body Control Module Problems - The Fix