General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Old 04-29-2016, 04:23 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides

--

See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

LS1 Body Control Module Problems - The Fix

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Seriously??? It would have been better to read through the thread before asking that question.

Even if you didn't bother to take the time to do that, the post just four posts before yours would give a clue:
I apologize I did not see the attached pictures but I have read through this entire thread. I didn't want to do it without seeing what I need to do thanks for being so polite about it though I was on a phone when I read it pictures didn't appear under.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Teching In

I have been having the radio and power window problems for some time. I pulled my BCM board and the bottom connection of the "T" was the coldest solder joint I have ever seen. I resoldered all five of the joints on the "T" by heating them up and flowning some additional solder on them. I decided to plug the board into the harness before reassembling the whole thing to check if the fix worked. My radio and power windows worked just fine. Unfortunately my ignition won't work. Not a click or a buzz or anything. Could it be that it is not installed and not properly grounded? It is kaput. Help from one of you BCM wizzards, please. I'm trying to sell this car but it doesn't show so well if I can't start it.

Next day: I talked to a couple of local shops and they opined that the starting problem wasn't in the BCM circuit and that they would have to trouble shoot the starting problem separately. They said they wanted the BCM back in the car, so I went out in the driveway this morning and I re-installed the BCM board into it's bracket and plugged everything back in and tried to start the car. Bingo! It cranked right up and ran like a charm. For inexplicable reasons it didn't seem to like being out of its cozy little bracket when I tried to start it yesterday. Could it have been some sort of weird grounding issue or is it just that good old electrical "hoodoo that you do so well"? The radio and power window problems seem to be a thing of the past. The fix worked!!!

Last edited by ragtop69; 04-08-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks, guys! I've dealt with this for a few years, but hadn't bothered toinvestigate the cause or fix. I'll have to get a soldering iron and try this. Won't solve my stripped passenger window motor, unfortunately, but I might swap/clean out my A/C blower while I'm in there.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:52 AM
Teching In

This thread seems to cover issues my car has. It started a relay clicking that happens every 10 seconds or so, from the glove box area. The door locks no longer work, key fob does not work and when you open and close the door the alarm goes off. From what I am reading, I see there are faulty solder joints that affect some issues, but when the relays click, is that commonly a solder joint or do you need to replace the relay? In that case I will probably replace the BCM. thank you for your reply.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did anybody ever list the PN for the BCM in this thread?
Old 05-09-2013, 01:41 PM
Teching In

It was listed many pages back, 9353691. I ordered one this morning from gmpartsdirect. I am going to take mine apart in and see if it can be fixed, otherwise I will replace wit the new one. Make sure it is the one you need as it is not returnable, if you go to their site you can do a search of your particular model to verify.
Good Luck.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:39 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

Amazon also carries the same part. The prices are very similar but gmpartsdirect has a reputation for charging inflated shipping and handling so Amazon might end up being cheaper overall.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:30 AM
Teching In

I ended up paying about $201 with shipping and handling. The dealer wanted the full retail price of 340 for the part plus diagnosis and installation, somewhere in the range of 600 to 900... With all the detail from this thread I had it out with no issues in under 15 mins. I had one questionable solder joint which I fixed, but did not solve my problem ( door locks did not work, alarm sounding and relay clicking). From reading this entire thread, when the relays keep clicking, it is my guess one of the relays is bad and you need more than the solder fix. Anyway, when the new one comes I will pop it in and hope all my issues are gone. I have many older cars (pre computer) and I really don't see this car lasting 50 years, my guess is the electronics will constantly fail and it will be harder and harder to get the parts as time goes on.

Thanks again for all the input.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Idk if this has already been asked or not ButI think my ground for my courtesy lights is bad and I'm pretty sure it's because of the BCM. Could a hairline solder crack be to blame?
Old 08-07-2013, 02:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just read the entire thread. Thanks guys! I have something to do on my next day off.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Any of you guys have tips on getting enough slack on the wiring in a 99 T/A to get room to splice some wires for DRL mods. I know where it is, how to get to it, and which wires I need but there seems to be a lot of tension on the harness and plugs. So much that I am worried that is I pull hard enough to get the BCM off of it's mount to move it around that I will mess something up. It is really tight in there! I'm trying to go through the radio area.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:02 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by KissMyTushZ28
Any of you guys have tips on getting enough slack on the wiring in a 99 T/A to get room to splice some wires for DRL mods. I know where it is, how to get to it, and which wires I need but there seems to be a lot of tension on the harness and plugs. So much that I am worried that is I pull hard enough to get the BCM off of it's mount to move it around that I will mess something up. It is really tight in there! I'm trying to go through the radio area.
Sorry, that post is confusing because the BCM has nothing to do with DRLs. What exactly are you trying to do? And perhaps you could start a new thread since it is unrelated to this thread. Or a search of the Stereo & Electronics section for "DRL" will get you lots of information about the DRL module and modifications.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry, that post is confusing because the BCM has nothing to do with DRLs. What exactly are you trying to do? And perhaps you could start a new thread since it is unrelated to this thread. Or a search of the Stereo & Electronics section for "DRL" will get you lots of information about the DRL module and modifications.
I have already searched, much less I have already done this modification to my Z28 that I previously owned! I am trying to turn the DRLs off, where they will not be on all of the time. I know some people will yell about safety and such but it keeps burning up my bulb sockets because the factory halogen blinker bulbs burn really hot and they are on at all times and I drive a ton! I want to do this mod so that I don't have to splice in a new socket, AGAIN, because right now I am on my second set from them being burnt up over years of being on all of the time. There are 2 ways to do it if I remember, one is to solder on the board inside the box, the other is to just splice into certain wires. I would rather go the route of wires because that is reversible.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:38 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

A search in the Stereo & Electronics section for "disable DRL" brought up dozens of threads.

I think this is what you're looking for:
There have been several hacks that people use to disable DRLs. Most of them have unwanted side effects. For example, some suggest unplugging the DRL module. This disables DRLs but also disables the automatic headlights, disables the brake warning light on the dash, and prevents the remote hatch release from working (on M6 cars).

The only way to disable DRLs without any side effects is to bypass the DRL module. The DRL module is a black box about the size of a pack of cigarettes mounted to the ductwork behind the radio. It has two connectors - an 8-pin black and an 8-pin blue. In the black connector you will find pairs of blue wires. The light blue with white is the left signal input from the T/S switch and the plain light blue is the DRL & T/S output to the left front light. Similarly, the dark blue with white is input for the right side and the plain dark blue is output to the right front light. You can't just disconnect them because you would lose turn signals. You need to cut (or remove from the connector) those four wires and connect the pairs together - light blue with white to light blue and dark blue with white to dark blue. This will retain the turn signal function and all other functions of the DRL module but eliminate the DRLs themselves.

This same bypass has been proposed by opening the DRL module then cuttting and soldering the traces inside. It achieves the same result but I prefer external, reversible modifications because they are easier to troubleshoot down the road.
Here is the thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ic-lights.html

BTW, the DRL/turn signal bulbs are not halogen, they're just ordinary incandescent 3157 bulbs. But they do generate a lot of heat in the enclosed space of that housing. An alternative is to replace them with 3157 LED bulbs. You'll have to either add load resistors or get an electronic turn signal flasher (so that they will flash properly) but the heat will be significantly reduced so that your sockets won't get damaged.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A search in the Stereo & Electronics section for "disable DRL" brought up dozens of threads.

I think this is what you're looking for:

Here is the thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ic-lights.html

BTW, the DRL/turn signal bulbs are not halogen, they're just ordinary incandescent 3157 bulbs. But they do generate a lot of heat in the enclosed space of that housing. An alternative is to replace them with 3157 LED bulbs. You'll have to either add load resistors or get an electronic turn signal flasher (so that they will flash properly) but the heat will be significantly reduced so that your sockets won't get damaged.
I know it brings up many threads man, as I said I have searched before, but thanks for your time of searching and such. Again I know how to do it and where. I am just wondering if there are any tips about getting some slack on the wires to get the box off of it's holding place. Because when i did this mod in my Camaro I had plenty of slack to get to the box and unplug the wires, but in my T/A they are so tight it is difficult just to get the box to a point where I can unplug it and I do not want to damage anything. I apologize if I confused the DRL Module for the BCM, I thought they were the same because I also had to re-solder some points on mine in my Camaro because they had come loose over time and the radio and windows would not work. For some reason my memory was telling me that it was the same box.

And in my Camaro I just replaced the factory bulbs with LEDs from SuperBrightLEDs dot com and they worked just like factory(didn't flash any faster or slower). I didn't need any load resisters or an E-Flasher.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:48 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

I'm here in San Diego and as of yesterday, the cooling fans on my son's Firebird won't shut off after the car is turned off. He's also having the radio/window BCM issue. I doubt the fans have any tie-in to the BCM. Can anyone confirm that?
Old 08-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

The fans are not connected to the BCM in any way. They are powered by three relays in Junction Box #1 under the hood that are controlled by the PCM. Chances are that one or more of the relays has gone bad and is stuck in the closed position.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:09 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Thanks. Thought so, so it must be coincidence. He turned the car over to me to replicate and test, and of course, it's been on it's best behavior since.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine has done that once. I waited for a while and then turned the ignition on then back off and they went off. Hasn't done it since.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:37 PM
Teching In

I started a thread about my issue but figured I ask in here. I was having the radio/window punch the dash and it worked issue so I did the BCM fix. Everything worked. Now my drivers side window intermittently won't roll down. Some days it does. Some days it doesn't. So far when I do catch it on a day it rolls down, as long as I don't roll it all the way up it will continue working. When it works it works great and moves fast. Does this sound like I should resolder the BCM or like the window motor or regulator are on their way out?

Quick Reply: LS1 Body Control Module Problems - The Fix