General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

READ if you have the starting problem with full electricity but car wont try to start

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Post READ if you have the starting problem with full electricity but car wont try to start

PLEASE READ THIS ALL THE WAY THROUGH IF YOU ARE HAVING THE ISSUE WHERE YOU GET FULL ELECTRICITY AND GAUGES, BUT THE CAR WON'T ATTEMPT TO START WHEN YOU TURN THE KEY

There are a lot of people who post up about this problem.

For a few months now, my car has been doing this thing where at random, I get in, put the clutch in, turn the key........and nothing. All the gauges light up, lights and radio on, full electric, I hear the pumps start up, but not even a click from the starter. Sometimes I could try it a few times and randomly it would start up like normal, other times it would sit there for a few days without starting at all.

We tested power to all of the main points, clutch switch, starter relay, etc, and the first time, we found a loose wire going into the clutch interlock switch. After we plugged it in, the car started up for a day or two, so we figured we had solved it. Two days later, though, it started doing it again and stranded me in a commuter parking lot. We had to pop start it to get it home.

I did a ton of reading on here and ended up replacing the clutch switch, to no avail, and also wiring in some resistors to bypass the VATS system (basically bypassed the need for the proper "chip" in my key to disengage the security system) since a lot of people thought that was the problem. We tested it and although the security system was properly bypassed and no longer requires use of the appropriate key chip, I still had the problem.

I had previously attempted to tap on the starter with a hammer to see if that made a difference, but it didn't. Yesterday and the day before it was giving me the problem and would not start at all, so my brother came over and we tested some more. Finally we found that we had full power all the way into the starter, but the starter wasn't spinning. So, we went to Autozone, got a new starter, and the problem is now solved. Car starts up everytime without issue.

If you have this or a similar problem, I would recommend the steps I used to troubleshoot, but if you can easily test the power to the starter, it seems to be a good place to start as this was my issue and a few other people found it to be the same problem.

NOTE:
Regarding the VATS system that everyone says it could be: if your VATS system isn't working because your key resistor or the contacts inside the ignition cylinder are "gunked up", then the "security" light in the gauge cluster WILL COME ON and stay on for a minute to show that the system isn't being properly bypassed. If the light is not coming on but people are telling you it's probably the VATS system, they are wrong. The light will let you know when it's the VATS system.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 03-22-2008 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also had a similar problem. I went through all those steps, including taking the starter off to get tested. Ended up being one of the wires that come off the ignition cylinder was broken. I had hptuners at the time and even disable VATS and that still wouldn't work. Got a new one from GM and had it installed.....started right up. Had to jump the starter relay with a piece of wire just to drive the car while figuring out the problem, lol.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could you guys shed some light on this one for me. So basically you (OP) fixed your problem by getting a new starter. Mine has been doing this periodically for the last couple days just once or twice a day...

Thanks a ton!
Old 04-12-2008, 12:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran into a problem similar to yours but a little bit more complicated. The problem ended up being that the bcm wasn't throwing a ground to the starter relay and therefore wouldn't power the starter solenoid. Talk about a pain in the *** to hunt down!
Old 04-12-2008, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I also had this similar problem, turn key and not even a ckick and of course very randomly(and very irritated). Located the problem to the fuse marked"START". Lose wire under the fuse made a bad connection. Tighted up and problem solved
Old 04-12-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How do you check that you had juice to the starter? Man i took everything off and took it to get tested. Everything turned out good but the **** still wont start. Pissin me off.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got it figured out. Bad relay.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok so far just in this thread we have VATS, starter, relay, and a bad ground...So pretty much it could be anything....LOL...
Old 04-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

i had the same problem but it wasnt my starter it was the gauges fuse. for some reason it wouldnt let me start my car, soon as i replaced it worked fine.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Banned

why did u replace the starter? maybe it could only have been a bad solinoid? the solinoid is supposed to ingage the pinion and then the starter does its job
Old 04-16-2008, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ae13291
why did u replace the starter? maybe it could only have been a bad solinoid? the solinoid is supposed to ingage the pinion and then the starter does its job
Don't know about these cars but many have the solenoid and starter motor as a single unit.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:38 PM

ok guys im having the same problem, just happened 2 days ago and did everything that u guys listed but the gauge fuse. i dont know anything bout the vats thing but it will start by jumping it. I have a new starter just put it on and nothing. what else should i try
Old 04-16-2008, 10:40 PM

how can i tell if the bcm is throwing a ground to the starter?
Old 04-16-2008, 10:45 PM

o and my vats light comes on and just flashes, does that mean anything?