General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

My car made a pretty loud bang noise. No idea what it could be.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car made a pretty loud bang noise. No idea what it could be.

Hey guys. Yesterday I was driving back home and I was going through a neighborhood. I was going real slow and I was at a stop sign where all of a sudden I heard this pretty loud bang come from my car. It freaked me the hell out. I was probably in first gear (M6), or even switching from neutral to first when it made the noise.

At first I thought it was the transmission or something. The sound seemed to have come from under the hood, but more towards the passenger side. Don't quote me on that though, I could be way off. The car only has 35k on it, and I never ran into anything like this. I drove the car around a lot after this happened. Turned it off for a while, and went back driving. Nothing, no sound. Now the only thing I could think of which might sound ridiculous is that I hit something or some kid threw a ball at my car, lol. The sound really sounded like if someone hit it with a ball.

Sorry for the lack of detail I can give with the noise, but you guys are pretty good here. Maybe you can point me in some direction.

Oh and one other thing, maybe an hour or so before this happened I put on a new idler pulley and finally installed my shift skip resistor. I dont know if that could of done anything to make that sound, but I guess its good to know.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

I am not surprised that I didn't get any response with the lack of detail I gave. Today I drove the car, and it seemed completely fine. Maybe an animal ran into me or something? ^_^

My coworker said how I might have broken an engine rod or something. He acts like he knows a lot about cars, but I think he BS's usually. If that was the case though, wouldn't my car be running like ****?
Old 04-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Could it have been a backfire?

I would imagine if you threw a rod, it would definitely have a problem running, or an annoying noise, and atleast even a coolant or oil leak.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Yea that's what I figured. No leaks, everything seems fine. Maybe it was a backfire, I never experienced one so I wouldn't know how it would feel being in the car to be honest.

The plugs are stock with the car now at 35k. I am about to change them. Would a plug misfire cause a knock? I am not going to get too worried about it until something else comes up.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe the tranny popped out of gear? if its running fine now i wouldnt worry abot it
Old 04-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jigen
My coworker said how I might have broken an engine rod or something. He acts like he knows a lot about cars, but I think he BS's usually. If that was the case though, wouldn't my car be running like ****?
Tell him he is an idiot. Your car WOULD NOT be running if that were the case.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol @ coworker what a dumbass
Old 04-14-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

My vote is backfire.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:25 PM
11 Second Club

I would agree with these guys. Seafoam it and change out the plugs/wires.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replies guys. No new sounds. I did actually seafoam maybe 3 weeks ago. Not too much smoke one big poof after I gave it it's first big rev and that was about it.

But like I said the plugs are most likely the stockers and the car has 35k on it, which isn't too bad but the owner did have it sit for a little while where it wasn't getting driven. What does a misfire really feel like when you are in the car? I just want to narrow it down a little better.

And how about the one comment about the car being stuck in a weird gear when I was switching to 2nd? Does that sound likely or no?
Old 04-14-2008, 04:31 PM
Launching!

Oh question.. do you have subframe connectors on the car? if you do, and they're loose, they will definitely bang and cause a loud noise
Old 04-14-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

I've heard of the body of the car making pop sounds when flexing.....could be what happened
Old 04-14-2008, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Subframe connectors would never be stock right? If not, then no I don't have them.

When flexing? Hmm this sounds silly but I was parked on a oddly hilled driveway (real steep) right before I left and the noise literally happened maybe 15 seconds after I pulled outta there. It wasn't a little pop though, it was kind of loud.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

Subframe connectors would never be stock right? If not, then no I don't have them.

When flexing? Hmm this sounds silly but I was parked on a oddly hilled driveway (real steep) right before I left and the noise literally happened maybe 15 seconds after I pulled outta there. It wasn't a little pop though, it was kind of loud.
No, it's loud enough.....I have heard it before. Sounds like a hammer smacking the frame.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Yea it sounded exactly like that actually.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Yea it sounded exactly like that actually.
Hopefully that's all it was. I would get it looked at underneath just to be sure things are where their supposed to be
Old 04-14-2008, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Yea, thanks for the advice! I looked over as much as I could and noticed nothing. My buddy knows what he's doing though, so this week we'll give it another look.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

your co-worker would be a good auto zone employee hahaha
Old 04-15-2008, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Lmao, you have no idea. I should start recording the **** that comes out of his mouth. He doesn't shut up about Nissans too. He has an '05 Altima (2.5L) that's pretty nice, but he acts like these Nissans are kings of all cars. I like Nissans, they make some nice stuff but he just has that whole "American cars are ****" mentality and it drives me up a wall sometimes, lol.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

LOL!.....i bet nothing is wrong with your car! like you said earlier maybe some kid threw a ball at you and you didnt see it or you hit something on the road. the reason im laughing is because when i first got my TA last month i wasnt used to Fbody's. So while i was on the road i drove over some little rocks on the road but i could hear them clearly going all over my rear tires but my first reaction was...oh no my differential! LOL because none of the cars before made such clear road noise. Then i ran over some sort of a bottle a few days later and heard it and i thought something popped in my engine. It was when i looked back that i realize thats what it was. Anyway if your not feeling nothing wrong with the car now just dont worry about it and keep cruising in your bad *** Z28. WHats the worst that can happen? something brake...then you fix it.

Quick Reply: My car made a pretty loud bang noise. No idea what it could be.