General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need new belt?

Old 09-13-2008, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new belt?

Hi I have a 1998 z28 and i have this annoying sound comin from under the hood, Could it be my belt? I looked at it and some of it looks worn and I think thats what it is. If this is the case is it safe to drive? I dont notice anything other than the annoying sound. Can a belt break?
Old 09-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Launching!

If you describe the sound you're hearing, we could help you a lot more.

But to answer your question, yes, the belt can break. When it breaks, it'll probably take out the A/C belt as well. When it breaks, the alternator and waterpump will stop, so you will overheat pretty fast when it happens.
It takes about 20 minutes to swap both of them out (A/C belt is easier to change from underneath), and should be considered routine maintenance.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for reply... Its a squeaking/squealing sound around the belt area... On the belt half of it is a different color like maybe some wear. Anyway is it safe to drive for 2 more days? The sound just started 3 days ago... U think that sound indicates the belt is ready to break? Thanks
Old 09-13-2008, 03:46 PM
Launching!

Squealing usually means that the belt is slipping. The discoloration is worrying though, as that might mean that there's a lot of load on the belt.

I'd do two quick checks to make sure it's okay to drive for a little longer. Take off the existing belt and inspect it throughly. Look for cracks. Very small ones are okay, but if any of them exceeds about 1/6th of the width of the belt, it's giving up any time now.
Second check is to make sure your alternator and waterpump are okay. Just turn them by hand when the belt is off. If you're unable to turn either of them by hand, they might be seizing, and that's why the belt squeaks.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you appreciated
Old 09-13-2008, 06:34 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same problem on my car it sounded like a bunch of little birds were under the hood. At first I only heard it when it was wet out then all the time. Changed the belt it went away and came back a week later. Took it to the shop and they said it was the belt tensioner so $245 later and never had the problem again. My dd car also had this problem and it was the tensioner.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Junkie

If you spray the belt momentarily (Silicone, Belt Dressing, etc.) and the sound changes, even if it comes back you at least know it is only the belt, not the tensioner. Try that first.

My black TA sits outside... Every morning there is a little belt squeal, but it goes away after five minutes... Too much condensation/humidity... The whole car looks like it rained the night before, but it's all morning dew where I live.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:10 AM
TECH Resident

sometimes that squealing comes from a worn out bearing on the tensioner pulley, you can easily get a replacement pulley and fix your problem for under $50 bucks. This happens alot on these cars for some reason, they dont like water at all especially if you have a functional ram air hood. Stuff gets in the engine bay including WATER, mist, humidity w/e and causes that annoyying *** squealing. I personally think without even looking at your car, from experience your problem is NOT the belt its just the pulley that needs to be made into a paperweight and replaced
Old 09-17-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just finished getting rid of the problem you're having. When I bought my 2000 WS.6 there was sqeaking coming from under the hood. About 300 miles later I couldn't take it anymore. I bought belt dressing and right before I sprayed I notice the belt was half way off the belt tensioner! I put it back on the pulley and from then on it was fine. Since I had bought the belt dressing I decided to use it since I could still hear a slight, almost undetectable sqeal still coming from the belt. Once I sprayed and started the car the noise came back and was LOUD! Louder than ever! After driving a few miles the sqealing would finally go away. But every day when I first started the car it would squel like mad. I finally broke down and went to kragen and spent the $28 and put on the belt in 10 min and like magic no squeking. Its been 150miles and still runs perfect.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the info... I got the belt replaced and seems to have fixed the problem.. Ill see what happens when it rains, seemed like the noise was worse when it rained dont ask me why lol Thanks again

Search this Thread