Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ssra vs ftra vs jaam?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ssra vs ftra vs jaam?

what is the difference between ssra and ftra and jaam and which one should I get for my ws6?
Old 10-20-2008, 10:43 PM
FormerVendor

Yes..
Old 10-20-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the jaam will be the better choice for your ws6.

however the ssra hands down is the best chocie for camaro guys but firebird people have a good source of air right there and available so why not use it.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

just get a lid and be done.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:23 AM

^I thought you use the ftra/jaam etc. along with the lid?

Also your car looks sweet. is it lowered on sportlines or pro kit? thanks
Old 10-21-2008, 02:33 AM
TECH Addict

I say SSRA or FTRA, the Jaam just makes your hood functional. Aint much of a difference in power gains. Atleast i dont think. i had the FTRA on my Z28. i liked it....
Old 10-21-2008, 06:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by somws6ta
^I thought you use the ftra/jaam etc. along with the lid?
You do.

I had an SSRA for years and liked it. But I might do the jaam if I had a true ws6. That way you get the ram air without scraping the SSRA on steep driveways and speed bumps.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Badguy7
I say SSRA or FTRA, the Jaam just makes your hood functional. Aint much of a difference in power gains. Atleast i dont think. i had the FTRA on my Z28. i liked it....
the ws6 hood is already functional from the factory. with the jaam ram you de baffle the hood and the kit seals the hood to the air box. that means you now have air going straight into the air box wich is better than air comming from under the car. it also comes with a plate so you can use the bottom scoops in the nose, that means you now have 4 air scoops instead of 2. i love my jaam ram, it def pulls harder at about 50 mph +. its the best way to go with a WS6, imho.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think Fast Toys said a while back that the FTRA provides a slightly better increase than the JAAM kit.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have a FTRA on my Trans Am. I have a WS6 hood too. I COMPLETLY silled off my lower air box (raised), my lid and under my radiator support. So now the only air that i get is from under the air dam. Air travels to the least resistant place. And that is under the car, and that is where my FTRA is
Old 10-21-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Junkie

i've never scrapped my SSRA on a curb or speed bump.

it sits far enough up and back from the nose that you'd have to TRY to scrape it.

well....on stock height that is
Old 10-21-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool

Originally Posted by Orange 02 WS6
the ws6 hood is already functional from the factory. with the jaam ram you de baffle the hood and the kit seals the hood to the air box. that means you now have air going straight into the air box wich is better than air comming from under the car. it also comes with a plate so you can use the bottom scoops in the nose, that means you now have 4 air scoops instead of 2. i love my jaam ram, it def pulls harder at about 50 mph +. its the best way to go with a WS6, imho.
The SS hood is functional also; although it seems to be more a attempt of cold air induction then ram air. i "sealed" the hood to the air box with weather stripping i picked up from Home Depot. I doubt it made any measuriable difference but it can't hurt to try to keep the hot air out of my lid. I also have a 180* t-stat and SLP's fan switch so i can regurlate the under hood temps a bit to keep them down and maybe reduce "heat soak" of the hood.

I chalk it up to every little bit helps; I will get the SSRA kit next yr too.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:04 AM
11 Second Club

I did the FTRA on my 2000 SS...a buddy of mine was logging info on my car with his laptop and we saw IAT's of 64-68* so I know it is working rather well in my case. The car is presently being retuned for other changes as well so I won't know the full effect it has until the tuning is completed.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I skipped the jamm and removed my stock baffling then used weather stripping from home depot to seal the hood to the box, I used two layers, one on top of the other, when the hood is almost all the way closed, and then you close it you can see the stripping seal right against the lid, creating an almost perfect seal!

Old 10-21-2008, 01:28 PM
FormerVendor

Default Decisions!

Your choice really boils down to whether or not you want to make your WS6 hood truly function. If you do, then go with the JAAM kit that we sell. It will remove the baffles, seal the hood to the intake and make the lower nostrils functional as well.

If you don't mind the hood just being cosmetic, go with the FTRA. It grabs air from a high pressure spot under the vehicle and routes it to a sealed airbox. The hood will still have it's opening but that incoming air will just serve to cool the engine bay.

You can't go wrong with either kit. They both will provide a noticeable improvement in performance.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

I have the FTRA and I love it. Should I block off my opening on my air box from the SS's hood since I have the FTRA? If I need to seal it what should I use?
Old 10-21-2008, 01:38 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by foreverzero
I have the FTRA and I love it. Should I block off my opening on my air box from the SS's hood since I have the FTRA? If I need to seal it what should I use?
Yes you should block off the opening in the front of the air box. The kit comes with a rubber seal for this purpose. If you don't have the seal, you can purchase a new one for 8.00 + shipping or just seal up the hole on your own (weather stripping, duct tape, fabricate some plastic etc.)
Old 10-21-2008, 02:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Fast Toys Performance Parts
Yes you should block off the opening in the front of the air box. The kit comes with a rubber seal for this purpose. If you don't have the seal, you can purchase a new one for 8.00 + shipping or just seal up the hole on your own (weather stripping, duct tape, fabricate some plastic etc.)
Really? could I be loosing some power? Im going to look up the kit on your page, I really wish I didnt buy the kit used...as the previous owner lost everything but the induction piece
Old 10-21-2008, 02:12 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by foreverzero
Really? could I be loosing some power? Im going to look up the kit on your page, I really wish I didnt buy the kit used...as the previous owner lost everything but the induction piece
Yes you would definitely be losing power. Without the seal in place, there is no way to build any pressure and it would still be allowing hot engine bay air into the air box.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 288 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by teke184
i've never scrapped my SSRA on a curb or speed bump.

it sits far enough up and back from the nose that you'd have to TRY to scrape it.

well....on stock height that is
I agree. IF you scrape the SSRA, you're also scraping a lot of other (more important) stuff at the same time. The lowest part of mine is at least 2" higher than the lowest portion of the factory air dam.

Quick Reply: ssra vs ftra vs jaam?