Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My catch can routing ok?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 05:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Top for info
Old 03-12-2012, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
I had it this way, intake was full of oil.
Strange, did the catch can have any oil in it?
Ok I just looked at the Norris webpage and it looks like Im wrong, they have it setup like you (although I swear I've seen it hooked up like mine). But doesn't my logic about it sound right though?
Old 03-12-2012, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would think you'd want the outlet higher then the inlet;but I could be wrong.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Strange, did the catch can have any oil in it?
Ok I just looked at the Norris webpage and it looks like Im wrong, they have it setup like you (although I swear I've seen it hooked up like mine). But doesn't my logic about it sound right though?
The PCV was also turned the other way along with the hoses swapped around, the car pushed oil past the crank sensor at the last trackday. Thought it was the rear main till I pulled the trans and the back of the flywheel was dry but up where the crank sensor is oil was puddled around it.

Been fighting a rear main area leak for a while now, I think this is what was doing it.

If you pull the PCV valve hose off the can with the engine running and put your thumb over the hose, the pcv valve clicks like it should now.

The throttlebody actually had oil puddled in it, intake runners were really wet.

EDIT

I had to change water pump gaskets this past Saturday, the throttle body is now dry and the intake just has a leftover film in it. Rear main is area is now dry.

The can had a good bit of oil in it since I swapped it around.

I opened the can up and looked inside, it has a deal sticking down lower than the side inlet. So the oil comes into the side from the LS6 valley cover and hits this parts and falls to the bottom.

Has a filter screen in it where the top exit is.

So I feel I have it right now.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 03-20-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which fittings should I get on my catch can, 3/8" or 1/2"?
Car is making 430rwhp and is mostly a drag car
Old 03-18-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just bought a Mike Norris catchcan with 2 ports on it, and I am doing a 2.9 whipple install.
ANYONE know how I should run my lines?

ANY help is appreciated.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

TTT I read this thread, but I am still unclear as to how to run a Whipple catchan setup.

From my understanding I can Tee both covers to the top port catchcan and the bottom port goes between the TB and blower (no checkvalve needed with PD blower).

Is this where it gets is fresh air source from? What about PCV valve, I know its basically like a checkvalve, where does it go, do I need one?
Old 03-20-2012, 03:43 PM
TECH Veteran

EDIT

Post#427
Old 03-24-2012, 03:22 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After reading through this thread, I still have a question; however, that was a lot to take in (especially in the middle of doing stat homework), so forgive me if this is a redundant question...

I see some people saying they've done the LS6 valley cover and everything is now dry. If that's the case, what would the point of the catch can be? Why not just spend <$100 for the LS6 conversion and be done?
Old 03-24-2012, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It didn't work that way for me. IMO, just get a good catch-can.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Same here the LS6 conversion still would let oil pass into the intake. I picked up a Norris catch can from SDPC and hopefully that won't coat my new Fast 102 in oil
Old 03-26-2012, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I have an LS6 valley cover and catch can. It seems every diagram here has the passenger side valve cover venting, but not all of them show the drivers' side venting due to the LS6 valley cover conversion. I interpreted this to mean that the drivers' side valve cover does not necessarily have to vent. Can I use this logic to remove the venting on the passenger's side as shown below?

Name:  100_1020pcvc.jpg
Views: 2717
Size:  122.4 KB
Old 03-26-2012, 10:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
I have an LS6 valley cover and catch can. It seems every diagram here has the passenger side valve cover venting, but not all of them show the drivers' side venting due to the LS6 valley cover conversion. I interpreted this to mean that the drivers' side valve cover does not necessarily have to vent. Can I use this logic to remove the venting on the passenger's side as shown below?

No, this needs to be hooked up. PCV gets filtered air from here, without it PCV will not work.

BTW Gm makes plugs for the drivers side valve cover to close the hole in the valve cover.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

No, this needs to be hooked up. PCV gets filtered air from here, without it PCV will not work.

BTW Gm makes plugs for the drivers side valve cover to close the hole in the valve cover.
But it's getting air from the valley cover... LS6 valley cover, right?

See, I already have the plug on the Drivers' side that you mentioned. With the plug on the Drivers' side, the Drivers' side valve cover is not venting, correct? So why is it necessary that the passenger side valve cover vents if my catch can is routed from the LS6 valley cover to the intake with a truck PCV valve?

I'll hook it up if I have to, but I really don't want to if the venting from the valley cover is enough...
Old 03-26-2012, 10:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
But it's getting air from the valley cover... LS6 valley cover, right?

See, I already have the plug on the Drivers' side that you mentioned. With the plug on the Drivers' side, the Drivers' side valve cover is not venting, correct? So why is it necessary that the passenger side valve cover vents if my catch can is routed from the LS6 valley cover to the intake with a truck PCV valve?

I'll hook it up if I have to, but I really don't want to if the venting from the valley cover is enough...
No it's sucking on a straw with the other end blocked off and its costing you some power.

Your PCV is not working, for it to work it has to pull air through the engine, as it is now it cant because the other end of the straw(passenger valve cover) is blocked off.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

No it's sucking on a straw with the other end blocked off and its costing you some power.

Your PCV is not working, for it to work it has to pull air through the engine, as it is now it cant because the other end of the straw(passenger valve cover) is blocked off.
Thanks for the replies, I understand now. After I typed that last response, I learned there is a clean and a dirty side to the PCV, and that the clean, filtered air has to be able to pass to the Passenger's side cover to allow for the system as a whole to breathe.

I'll hook it back up this evening, thanks again for the replies
Old 03-29-2012, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

how can i tell if i have a ls6 style valley cover, my car is a 01, i believe it has a ls6 intake, i would like to get a catch can but i would also need to know what i have in order to route it the right way
Old 03-31-2012, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Update, I'll be updating all of the diagrams in my posts over the coming weeks. Hopefully this will reduce confusion and answer many of the questions posed here.

I've been a way from the forum for a while so bare with me.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
Update, I'll be updating all of the diagrams in my posts over the coming weeks. Hopefully this will reduce confusion and answer many of the questions posed here.

I've been a way from the forum for a while so bare with me.
I just wanted to say thanks for all of your work. I just read this entire thread and learned a lot, I need to reread it because there is a lot of good information. I purchased a used 99 Z28 with a catch can and it was installed on the clean side of the pcv system.

Most questions everyone keeps asking have been answered numerous times already, so its definitely worth reading the entire thread.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I wish I had found this earlier... I've had an empty catch can and oil still in the intake for months now. I'm hooked into the clean air side... Derp.

Diagrams were very helpful thank you!!!!!

Quick Reply: My catch can routing ok?