Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF is a flowmaster merge

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WTF is a flowmaster merge

ok im aggrivated with searching... im trying to figure out how im going to run an exhaust through a cme without being raspy. i hear a lot about this flowmaster merge but i cant find pics of the setup.so how am i going to run a catback? 1 7/8 arh w/ catted y so far. where am i putting the electric cut out after the catted y? then over the axle to a 1 in 2 out flowmaster muffler (what series 40?) have a shop custome bend them over the axle and pieces after the muffler to connect to the 2.5 90 bends out the cme tips?btw i can't find the 3 to 2.5 reducer. can anyone help me out i can't find any damn pics an im sick of searching.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by airforcemanss
ok im aggrivated with searching... im trying to figure out how im going to run an exhaust through a cme without being raspy. i hear a lot about this flowmaster merge but i cant find pics of the setup.so how am i going to run a catback? 1 7/8 arh w/ catted y so far. where am i putting the electric cut out after the catted y? then over the axle to a 1 in 2 out flowmaster muffler (what series 40?) have a shop custome bend them over the axle and pieces after the muffler to connect to the 2.5 90 bends out the cme tips?btw i can't find the 3 to 2.5 reducer. can anyone help me out i can't find any damn pics an im sick of searching.
This is the merge that i have on my t/a. sorry i do not have pics. i need to get some in the spring.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku
Old 02-22-2009, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Deep breathe, here is a shot of one..
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...300350&FROM=MG
Old 02-22-2009, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

its the piece inside the red lines.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

using the SEARCH feature here came back with plenty of results.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...erge-pics.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...3-5-merge.html
the 1 in 2 out is the 80 series and don't get it. do you have the arh Y pipe already? put the cut out in series with the I pipe.

Last edited by TheSilverOne; 02-22-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

See the pic in "LETHLS1" post. Put the cut-out where the second red line is (line on the right), immediately after the Flowmaster Y , then your pipe back to the axle.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

i have not bought anything yet besides the cme stuff.im researching first before i purchase anything. you guys are being very helpful.

so after the electric cutout now, i go over the axle into say magnaflow catback then, have a shop trim away the ends so i can run reducers to 90 bends out the cme??

or should i have a shop custom bend after the cutout using mendrel bends and a high flowing muffler?what would be cheaper custom after the ECO or buying a catback an doing some trimming for the cme?

Last edited by airforcemanss; 02-22-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:58 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i have not bought anything yet besides the cme stuff.im researching first before i purchase anything. you guys are being very helpful. so it seems like the flowmaster merge is in the place of where the catted y is supposed to be rite? is it either the catted y or the flowmaster? so pretty much im running arh with ory and putting a flowmaster in place followed by an electric cutout?

so after whats stated above, i go over the axle into say magnaflow catback then, have a shop trim away the ends so i can run reducers to 90 bends out the cme??
Thats exactly what my friend did. Its also what I'll be doing with my next exhaust system. 3" collectors into a FlowM-Y that has a 4" outlet. 4" electric cut-out, then back to the axle and through a Magnaflow exhaust. No cats. All stainless steel pipes.

Sounds very nice and flows just about as good as you'll get with any kind of system.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:04 PM
10 Second Club

The flowmaster merge simply converges exhaust smoother than most other y pipes on the market. since the exhaust in the flowmaster is routed to a straighter merge, there is less turbulance when the exhuast meets. Less turbulence reduces rasp.

If you are going with a magnaflow, you should not have to run reducers.