Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 Intake on 346ci ANYONE tried this!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by primer84z
you dont have to buy injectors with a fast. I got mine with a throttle body for 750 on the classifieds here. I think your math is a little off too, 50 bucks for everything to do the swap? One of pieces you listed was 70 by itself.
If u would have read the post better the HOLLEY 90mm TB comes w the bracket so you dont have to buy it from slp.....and yes i do have to buy bigger injectors w the heads and cam i plan on running when i switch intakes.

It all depend how u wanna do it you cen spend more money if ya dont wanna raise up your fuel rail and buy the 100 injector harness adaptor or raise the rail just reg ls1 injectors and save the money alll i am trying to get at is its a option over buy a FAST If ya ant got the money and i dont plan on reving past 7k so a fast wouldnt be for me

Why in the heck does every intake thread on here tunr into buying a fast im sick of it to be honest w ya
Old 02-28-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Regular

It sounds like your going to be running a decent sized H/C setup if your going to need bigger injectors. Bigger cams spin higher so your going to need an intake that can breathe at high RPMS. The reason why most of these threads turn into "buy a FAST" is because the price is falling on the used 90's. Even just a bolt on car can benefit from the 90. My 98 made 350/364 with a FAST 90/bluemaxx 90, catted LT's and a tune. I dont know how much more the FAST would have made versus a LS6, but there is room to grow with the intake. It really comes down to your opinion because its your car. I'm just letting you know what my experience was and you can make your own conclusions from them.

Also, I dont know if the LS2 has a flat bottom, so you might need to buy the LS6 water pipe setup and flat valley cover bolts.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It sounds like your going to be running a decent sized H/C setup if your going to need bigger injectors. Bigger cams spin higher so your going to need an intake that can breathe at high RPMS. The reason why most of these threads turn into "buy a FAST" is because the price is falling on the used 90's. Even just a bolt on car can benefit from the 90. My 98 made 350/364 with a FAST 90/bluemaxx 90, catted LT's and a tune. I dont know how much more the FAST would have made versus a LS6, but there is room to grow with the intake. It really comes down to your opinion because its your car. I'm just letting you know what my experience was and you can make your own conclusions from them.

Also, I dont know if the LS2 has a flat bottom, so you might need to buy the LS6 water pipe setup and flat valley cover bolts.

Ya i know what ya mean i already bought the ls2 intake so ill stick w it and the FAST scares me cause of the #7 thing iv herd about and havin to put a bigger injector in to make up for it.....the plan is 243s and a mid sized cam nothing major def somthing under the ms4 sizes more around the ms3 specs probly.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

From my understanding, if you use LS2 intake manifold, you HAVE TO use LS2 fuel rail, LS2 injectors and the injector wiring harness (Katech or TR for cheaper).

I've a math here for all the necessary part:
LS2 intake $150 + LS2 port work $275 + LS2 fuel rail $100 + LS2 injectors $200 + TR wiring harness $48 + 90mm TB (Any brand used) $250 = $1025 plus some shipping.

I've a set of FAST 33# injector, brand new in box unopen. Let me know if you interested.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well katech told me i can use my ls1 rail and injectors if i buy there spacer kit for $25

All im saying is some one thats in my shoes thats looking for a 90mm set up and going to have to buy injectors anyways and TB it can be alot cheaper than a fast if your smart about it.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, from my math, injectors and TB basically is a must no matter what you do. The only matter is what kinda injector and fuel rail you use. If you stick with LS1, it'll be cheaper since you don't have to buy the wiring harness.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

Look at what Matt D's car did with a ported LS2 and what others have done. I will be switching from an LS6 to the ported LS2/90 combo next weekend.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1999FirehawkLS1
I was wondering if anyone has tried the LS2 intake on a 5.7? I bought one because its way cheaper than buuying a used LS6 or a FAST and I wanted the 90mm TB..

I want to hear from ppl that have tried this and how good it work or how bad it works and the DYNO numbers from switching if ya got them

I know ppl knock them but DONT KNOCK it unless youve tried it!!

thx
It's not the people knock it man. Even GM engineer's know that its (LS2 intake) crap. Its identicle to the LS1 intake aside from the larger "mouth". Notice how they (GM) went back to utilizing the same process to make the L76/LS3/LS7 intake just like they did with the LS6 intake? Ask anyone knowledgable on the subject and they will tell you straight up, for the cathedral port, stick with the LS6 if you want budget costs and decent power OR go for the FAST 90/90 if you want every last bit of power.

Originally Posted by 02ssbluethunder
im taking off my ls6 for an ls2. It will be about a week yet till I get it on my car.
That's a bad idea man. You're not going to gain anything down low and you will start to see a loss starting around 4k rpms.

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
stock the ls2 is not much better than the ls1 if at all, but ported and epoxied it flows about as well as a fast 90. it's been done. you need either the rails/injectors off the ls2 or to bend the stock rails i think, not entirely sure. also a tb adapter if you're using a stock ls1 tb.

check out ls2portworks.com
Now, I'm not knocking Cory or the work he does (its great, no doubt) but to say that one with all kinds of hand work, epoxying the runners, porting etc. will flow ABOUT as well as an out of the box FAST says a lot... So for spending all that money for lack luster results when given a chance to go big or go home, why not spend a little extra and go for the FAST? You can always port it and do all the same things you mentioned and make that much more power...?

Originally Posted by camaroIroc
im running an LS2 intake on my build, it was cheaper than ls6 about $100.. and is an upgrade from ls1...so for the money its a no brainer. just need to modify a 90mm tb if used with ls1 accessories ie. waterpump. may have a clearance like mine, but i accomodated it.
So for $100 less, you basically bought another LS1 intake with a 90mm mouth? "For the money, it's a no brainer" to go for the LS6 intake.

ya its alot of diff stuff to make it work but if it makes me as much power as a fast if i get it port epoxy and i only got 400 in all of that im ahead of the game......going to have to buy a 90mm tb anyways with ls2 or a fast
A lot of uneccessary stuff. Also, it will NEVER, when compared apples to apples, come anywhere near a ported and worked FAST intake. Your ported and worked LS2 intake wont make much more power than a stock LS6 intake with a ported TB. The only benefit you're getting from the LS2 is the 90mm and it wont be much.

Good luck to everyone
Old 03-04-2009, 03:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

In 1999FirehawkLS1's case, since he has a 99 so his intake sux anyway. He can go for an unport LS6 ($300 used) or a ported LS2 ($150+$275=$425). Either way it's cheaper than a used FAST 90 ($800 unport or 900 ported). The major purpose of this project is save money. All those stock intake has no way to compare with an aftermarket intake, that's for sure. However, if there's alterate route that can reach the similar gain, I don't see why not.

I think the debut is more like LS2 intake vs LS6 intake. Take a look at my thread here, 90% people vote for LS6 intake. Now mostly everyone know LS6 intake is good, I think the question is, will a ported LS2 intake better?? I want to know that answer too. After look at the dyno data on Cory's web site, I won't question about the work he perform. He posted a dyno result of a LS2 GTO which is located in our local bay area. That dyno shop is very reputable here so there's no doube about the gain from Cory's work on a LS2 engine. Here comes the other question, how will a ported LS2 react in a 5.7L LS1 engine?

I've been asking the GTO guys about porting their LS2 intake. Most of them gain 20-25 rwhp with a tune, even without a tune people gain 12-14 rwhp. I dunno the 6.0L engine make a different in hp gain vs our 5.7L engine. Since 04 GTO has the same 5.7L engine as 01-02 F-body, I'll see if any 04 GTO owner swap for a LS2 intake.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

In my case, I've a 02 so I've LS6 intake already. However, it still comes down to the two questions I listed above: 1) Will a ported LS2 intake better than a LS6 intake? 2) How will the ported LS2 intake react in a 5.7L LS1 engine? I know the unport LS2 intake sux a$$, according to the link on page 2. Then I wanna know if there's any LS2 owner who swap out their LS2 intake for a LS6 intake.

Maybe I'll just port my LS6 intake and call it a day.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

who cares what it did on the ls2 motors thats a bigger cubic inch i wanna know what the hp diff is on a 346... what it did on the 6.0 mean nothing to me cause i got a 5.7
Heres the thing, you have to be able to extrapolate a little bit. You cant demand something we dont have access to immediatly. There really wont be a huge difference between the gains or losses of 6.0L vs a 5.7L.

This is what Ive found in my research, it still paints a picture:

"Duttweiler tested the original stepped-floor LS1 intake (stock on '97-'01 Corvettes and '98-'01 F-cars), the flat-floor LS6 manifold (also used on most LS1 builds from late '01 and up), and the Generation IV LS2 intake. Compared to the LQ9 truck long-runner design, the LS1 intake lost 9 hp and 11 lb-ft. The LS6 intake was a hair better, but certainly not enough to justify the complexity of the changeover unless you had a hood-clearance issue. As for the LS2 configuration-fahgetaboutit! Despite a larger 90mm throttle body, when compared to the best headers/cats/truck intake configuration the LS2 manifold was down nearly 8 hp and 7 lb-ft at the peak and 6.7 hp and 9 lb-ft on average."

From: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...k/tune_up.html
Old 03-04-2009, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by darknessxyz
In 1999FirehawkLS1's case, since he has a 99 so his intake sux anyway. He can go for an unport LS6 ($300 used) or a ported LS2 ($150+$275=$425). Either way it's cheaper than a used FAST 90 ($800 unport or 900 ported). The major purpose of this project is save money. All those stock intake has no way to compare with an aftermarket intake, that's for sure. However, if there's alterate route that can reach the similar gain, I don't see why not.
There won't be a "similar" gain next to a FAST intake. Ported LS2 might match a stock LS6 intake with a ported TB

I think the debut is more like LS2 intake vs LS6 intake. Take a look at my thread here, 90% people vote for LS6 intake. Now mostly everyone know LS6 intake is good, I think the question is, will a ported LS2 intake better?? I want to know that answer too. After look at the dyno data on Cory's web site, I won't question about the work he perform. He posted a dyno result of a LS2 GTO which is located in our local bay area. That dyno shop is very reputable here so there's no doube about the gain from Cory's work on a LS2 engine. Here comes the other question, how will a ported LS2 react in a 5.7L LS1 engine?

I've been asking the GTO guys about porting their LS2 intake. Most of them gain 20-25 rwhp with a tune, even without a tune people gain 12-14 rwhp. I dunno the 6.0L engine make a different in hp gain vs our 5.7L engine. Since 04 GTO has the same 5.7L engine as 01-02 F-body, I'll see if any 04 GTO owner swap for a LS2 intake.
A ported LS2 will perform no different on an LS1 vs an LS2. I'm a "GTO guy" and NO ONE gains 20-25rwhp with a ported intake and re-tune. 8-10rwhp WITH A RE-TUNE, is more of a reality.

In my case, I've a 02 so I've LS6 intake already. However, it still comes down to the two questions I listed above: 1) Will a ported LS2 intake better than a LS6 intake? 2) How will the ported LS2 intake react in a 5.7L LS1 engine? I know the unport LS2 intake sux a$$, according to the link on page 2. Then I wanna know if there's any LS2 owner who swap out their LS2 intake for a LS6 intake.

Maybe I'll just port my LS6 intake and call it a day.
Keep your LS6 intake and don't go through the hassle. You'll be better off

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
Heres the thing, you have to be able to extrapolate a little bit. You cant demand something we dont have access to immediatly. There really wont be a huge difference between the gains or losses of 6.0L vs a 5.7L.

This is what Ive found in my research, it still paints a picture:

"Duttweiler tested the original stepped-floor LS1 intake (stock on '97-'01 Corvettes and '98-'01 F-cars), the flat-floor LS6 manifold (also used on most LS1 builds from late '01 and up), and the Generation IV LS2 intake. Compared to the LQ9 truck long-runner design, the LS1 intake lost 9 hp and 11 lb-ft. The LS6 intake was a hair better, but certainly not enough to justify the complexity of the changeover unless you had a hood-clearance issue. As for the LS2 configuration-fahgetaboutit! Despite a larger 90mm throttle body, when compared to the best headers/cats/truck intake configuration the LS2 manifold was down nearly 8 hp and 7 lb-ft at the peak and 6.7 hp and 9 lb-ft on average."

From: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...k/tune_up.html
Thank you sir, this is exactly what people need to see. If anyone is looking for a "budget" intake that kicks *** and has been shown, with a little work, to out perform the LS6 intake, then hunt down an LQ9 truck intake (pending hood clearance, I believe its tight and may require a little notching of the hood).
Old 03-04-2009, 11:18 AM
9 Second Club

Fall off after 4k rpm huh whens the last time you seen a SI car with a LS6 intake make power to 6250?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...o-numbers.html
Old 03-04-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ONEBADWS6
Fall off after 4k rpm huh whens the last time you seen a SI car with a LS6 intake make power to 6250?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...o-numbers.html
Talking about the gentleman that is camming his car, not a SI car. Also, the link you posted shows this gentleman went all out to make sure the LS2 intake worked to its fullest ability hence the 85mm MAF/85mm lid etc. That is not the norm, nor is it apples to apples considering what we're talking about. Do the same with a STOCK LS6 intake/ported TB, with those mods and tuning and I'll bet the LS6 is right there if not just a little better.

Apples to apples not apples to oranges

Last edited by lilbuddy1587; 03-04-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The only reason i posted this thread is to see if anyone had done a dyno run with there ls6 intake and then swapped only the intakes out for a ls2 ported to see the diff so i would wast my money on anything more for the swap other wise im going to try it out cause im curious....

and if anyone around ohio has there car dyno tuned w a ls6 intake and wishes to try this w my ls2 setup and feels like coming here i get free dyno time and i would love to run there car and swap the intakes and do another pull back 2 back and settle this.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
There won't be a "similar" gain next to a FAST intake. Ported LS2 might match a stock LS6 intake with a ported TB
If your claim on the ported LS2 is correct, then it's pretty close to an UNPORT FAST 90mm.

A ported LS2 will perform no different on an LS1 vs an LS2. I'm a "GTO guy" and NO ONE gains 20-25rwhp with a ported intake and re-tune. 8-10rwhp WITH A RE-TUNE, is more of a reality.
This a look at this thread

Keep your LS6 intake and don't go through the hassle. You'll be better off
Yea, maybe I'll send it to TPiS for the 90mm TB modify and then send it to Cory for porting.

Thank you sir, this is exactly what people need to see. If anyone is looking for a "budget" intake that kicks *** and has been shown, with a little work, to out perform the LS6 intake, then hunt down an LQ9 truck intake (pending hood clearance, I believe its tight and may require a little notching of the hood).
That's a good read. However, we're talking about a PORTED LS2 intake. Also, I believe the LQ9 intake not only have hood clearance issue, the fuel rail and TB should be a problem too.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
I'm not arguing this, only posting info. Check out this link and read graph #4, the LS2 intake vs LS6 intake on an LS2 engine.

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_06...o_testing.html
Interesting...
Old 03-05-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Regular

Even the FAST 78 made more power across the whole curve than the LS2 intake. That vetteweb article pretty much compares them straight up.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:55 AM
9 Second Club

Talking about the gentleman that is camming his car, not a SI car. Also, the link you posted shows this gentleman went all out to make sure the LS2 intake worked to its fullest ability hence the 85mm MAF/85mm lid etc. That is not the norm, nor is it apples to apples considering what we're talking about. Do the same with a STOCK LS6 intake/ported TB, with those mods and tuning and I'll bet the LS6 is right there if not just a little better.

Apples to apples not apples to oranges
Are you kidding me?? That thread proves the ability of a ported LS2 to breath. When is the last time you seen a SI LS6 intake pull that high? the lid and maf are additions, if the intake couldn't flow the air like you claim they would make no difference. I have experiance with ported LS2's, not my brothers cousins uncles buddy said. I know how to get every last bit out of a combo thus I run 9's N/A with a stroked LS2. But hay my post count isn't high enough so what do I know. To anyone following this, you can believe the guy in the 12's or the guy in the 9's it's up to you.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

If your claim on the ported LS2 is correct, then it's pretty close to an UNPORT FAST 90mm.
Pretty close is not worth the hassle, IMO. I'd rather have a lot of room to grow.

This a look at this thread
I took a look and it confirmed what my post said. The guy that gained 25rwhp+ and however much torque with his mods was mostly due to the tune, not the ported TB/intake alone. This was confirmed by other members as well. LS2 cars pick up tremendous amounts of power/torque from a simple tune, sometimes 20-30rwhp+ and 20+rwtq.

Again, dont get me wrong, a ported LS2 intake can work well. The question is, why go through the hassle of trying to change everything over to allow you to run an LS2 intake when you can just slap a FAST on with no issues or save a little $$$ and throw on an LS6 intake (or even keep the one you have from the factory )? I realize the cars that came with the LS2 intake, such as mine, would save a ton of money just porting the LS2 intake instead of trying to adapt a TPiS 90mm LS6 intake or slapping a FAST on.

Yea, maybe I'll send it to TPiS for the 90mm TB modify and then send it to Cory for porting.
That's a great idea man. The TPiS 90mm LS6 is said to be one bad ****. I have talked to a few "big dogs" about swapping a 90mm LS6 onto my goat but after going through all the hassle (finding an ls6 intake, sending it out for the conversion, porting and then injectors etc etc etc.), I just couldn't justify the cost.

That's a good read. However, we're talking about a PORTED LS2 intake. Also, I believe the LQ9 intake not only have hood clearance issue, the fuel rail and TB should be a problem too.
I realize what this is about, just throwing that out there. I mean, if people are willing to go through the hassle of making an LS2 intake work, why not the LQ9?

Even the FAST 78 made more power across the whole curve than the LS2 intake. That vetteweb article pretty much compares them straight up.
It sure does.

Are you kidding me?? That thread proves the ability of a ported LS2 to breath. When is the last time you seen a SI LS6 intake pull that high? the lid and maf are additions, if the intake couldn't flow the air like you claim they would make no difference.
No I'm not kidding you. When you create a nice flow path and do everything possible to help the intake work to its fullest ability, by removing restriction, there's no doubt that you will see results. I never claimed it couldn't move some good air, when ported. The same can be said for ANY worked over intake.

I have experiance with ported LS2's, not my brothers cousins uncles buddy said. I know how to get every last bit out of a combo thus I run 9's N/A with a stroked LS2. But hay my post count isn't high enough so what do I know. To anyone following this, you can believe the guy in the 12's or the guy in the 9's it's up to you.
I'm glad for you. Now, since you decided to throw this unnecessary tid bit of info out there, I'm going to just shake your hand and tell you "Good job"
Has nothing to do with believing someone when there's MULTIPLE threads, articles and real world info all over that proves otherwise. So, thanks for showing us that you have nothing better to add aside from pounding on your chest and damn near breaking your arm patting yourself on the back.

Edit -

Also, take a look at this link http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_06.../photo_13.html

"GRAPH 4: Stock LS2 Intake vs. LS6 Intake
The LS6 intake not only produced more peak power than the LS2, but it also outperformed the newer-style manifold from 3,700 to 6,500 rpm. We suspect that if the LS6 intake had been configured with a 90mm throttle opening, the difference would have been even more dramatic. Based on this test, it looks like (non-Z06) C6 owners would do well to swap out their factory intake for an LS6 unit. "

Last edited by lilbuddy1587; 03-05-2009 at 10:12 AM.

Quick Reply: LS2 Intake on 346ci ANYONE tried this!!!