Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is LS1 Tech's opinion on exhaust cutouts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is LS1 Tech's opinion on exhaust cutouts?

Right now my car has Pacesetter Longtubes and a TSP 3" catted Y-pipe. I don't want to go out an spend extra money on an X-pipe and my car is too low to the ground. I also want to be able to pass emissions and whatnot.

Anyway I thought I would get this because I could still have reasonable ground clearance and pass the state inspection when I can still have a loud car at times. So, I thought I would ask for some opinions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvBd3pEHWcw

P.S. this guy has the same stuff I do except he has a Borla catback and I have the CME catback. Either way his is cutout before the catback :p
Old 04-09-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I love running with the cutouts open. The first cutout I got was put before the muffler, cost me $30 bucks, and made the car a hell of a lot more fun to drive. This was on the second day of owning an otherwise stock car.

Later, I added another cutout off the I-pipe on my custom ORY. Long story short, cutouts are the best way to increase flow with a y-pipe if you decide not to go the true duals route. You'll gain peak hp, tq and that muscle car sound you're after (unless you don't want it to be pretty damn loud all the time-then consider electric cutouts).

Edit: after watching that video, my car never sounded that raspy. Perhaps it's due to a different catback, or even the flowmaster merge in my ORY that helps reduce rasp, but I'm not a fan of just raw noise (that didn't seem to have much of a tone to it).
Old 04-09-2010, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by squirts11
Personally, I love running with the cutouts open. The first cutout I got was put before the muffler, cost me $30 bucks, and was made the car a hell of a lot more fun to drive. This was on the second day of owning an otherwise stock car.

Later, I added another cutout off the I-pipe on my custom ORY. Long story short, cutouts are the best way to increase flow with a y-pipe if you decide not to go the true duals route. You'll gain peak hp, tq and that muscle car sound you're after (unless you don't want it to be pretty damn loud all the time-then consider electric cutouts).
Yeah, I have a friends friend who is selling his cutout and I'm interested right now because it's a cheap way to make the exhaust flow great. Good way to get that sound I want too. The cats I have cut down alot of noise which is kind of annoying sometimes, I wanted it to be loud in the first place but since I live at home, wasn't allowed to go out an buy true duals or an O/R Y.

As far as where to put it, would right after the Y be a good place? My buddy has been suggesting that as a good place to put it if I get a cutout (he's got a clean *** white WS6 ).

Electric cutouts would be helpful because I wouldn't have to get up under the car to take off that plate that goes over the cutout but however it is also expensive. I kinda don't want to spend too much more because I have spent enough on this header/y-pipe combo and that was going cheap lol.

P.S. the guy in this video had Pacesetter LT's, TSP 3" catted Y, and a Borla Catback. Probably had the cutout before the catback.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

FYI, in most places a cutout will still fail inspection. Here in PA any device to bypass the muffler is illegal.

With that said, I ran a cutout for many years with a Flowmaster exhaust and had a DMH electric actuator. Loved it. I like to be able to close it up and cruise with no resonance in the interior but loved the sound when it was open. On the dyno it proved to be worth 16 rwhp with a tiny MTI T1 cam, Pacesetters, offroad pipe, and your basic bolt ons.

The best place to install it is right before the pipe turns up to go over the axle. That way you can clock the cutout so it sits up in the indentation under the rear seat to gain maximum clearance.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PAGregSS
FYI, in most places a cutout will still fail inspection. Here in PA any device to bypass the muffler is illegal.

With that said, I ran a cutout for many years with a Flowmaster exhaust and had a DMH electric actuator. Loved it. I like to be able to close it up and cruise with no resonance in the interior but loved the sound when it was open. On the dyno it proved to be worth 16 rwhp with a tiny MTI T1 cam, Pacesetters, offroad pipe, and your basic bolt ons.

The best place to install it is right before the pipe turns up to go over the axle. That way you can clock the cutout so it sits up in the indentation under the rear seat to gain maximum clearance.
If I have the cutout plugged up will I still be able to pass?
Old 04-09-2010, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

It really depends on the person performing inspection. The way the law reads here, it doesn't matter if you have it capped or not, it's still illegal.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

xZZx just check with your state laws, And you from texas the law probly manditory you have loud exhaust haha. I am in Missouri and probly would pass everytime, I would say if the exhaust isnt leaking then it doesnt fail. Like said depends on who inspects it.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

It really depends on the person performing inspection. The way the law reads here, it doesn't matter if you have it capped or not, it's still illegal.
Well we will see what happens if I decide to get a cutout then. HOPEFULLY, it goes my way. I was thinking of a way to perhaps change it to normal piping for when I get it inspected......idk lol.

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
xZZx just check with your state laws, And you from texas the law probly manditory you have loud exhaust haha. I am in Missouri and probly would pass everytime, I would say if the exhaust isnt leaking then it doesnt fail. Like said depends on who inspects it.
For headers and Y-pipe, I wasn't that impressed. Well I was for like the second week but it still seemed a little quiet. I just want the cutout for those days I want this SS to be ***** to the wall loud. It won't leak and I will make sure whoever is doing the work doesn't let that happen. Yes, it depends on the inspector because some places will let you pass if you pay a little more and whatnot.

What do you have on your car?
Old 04-09-2010, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Also Greg, what did you do to get the car to pass? (if you did for that matter)
Old 04-09-2010, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Good points here. In OK, we don't have emission inspections, so I run with no cats, cutouts open, and cam choppin 24/7. Also, the mentioned cutout location is exactly where I would recommend placing it, but it does make a manual version more of a pain to open/close.

No matter where you decide to place it, it'll be money well spent.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by squirts11
Good points here. In OK, we don't have emission inspections, so I run with no cats, cutouts open, and cam choppin 24/7. Also, the mentioned cutout location is exactly where I would recommend placing it, but it does make a manual version more of a pain to open/close.

No matter where you decide to place it, it'll be money well spent.
Yeah, we have that stupid crap here in Texas. Alot of people still run catless pipes though and all that ****. They somehow find a way to pass it, which the only way I know how is to pretty much bribe the inspecting place. >_> I'm gonna be putting it right after the Y and will probably have to lift the car so I can open/close the cutout. My car is REALLY low to the ground and true duals would suck so much. I mean the Y-pipe right now already scrapes haha.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cutouts are a cheap alternative.

They sound like complete *** compared to an exhaust setup that someone spent money on. A nice Xpipe setup with 1 chambers or even bullets will sound 100Xs better.
They get the job done though, especially for the money. Main bad thing, they ALL sound the same.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=lemons12;13163823]Cutouts are a cheap alternative. [QUOTE]

Haha, well the problem is I don't want to spend more money on a brand new true dual system because I just spend about 600 bucks for the headers/pipe combo I just got and that is without labor. I don't really have much money to throw around and I mean I have heard a few cars with the same stuff I have (Y-pipe and Pacesetter LT's) and it doesn't sound bad at all in my opinion.

Also, the car is so low that the pipes would be scraping everywhere. I barely have any clearance as is right now.

However, I do agree that a actual true dual system with bullets sounds good. I just don't have the money (nor do I want to spend it when I can save for more important mods) or the ground clearance. Sorry
Old 04-09-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=xZZx;13163841][QUOTE=lemons12;13163823]Cutouts are a cheap alternative.

Haha, well the problem is I don't want to spend more money on a brand new true dual system because I just spend about 600 bucks for the headers/pipe combo I just got and that is without labor. I don't really have much money to throw around and I mean I have heard a few cars with the same stuff I have (Y-pipe and Pacesetter LT's) and it doesn't sound bad at all in my opinion.

Also, the car is so low that the pipes would be scraping everywhere. I barely have any clearance as is right now.

However, I do agree that a actual true dual system with bullets sounds good. I just don't have the money (nor do I want to spend it when I can save for more important mods) or the ground clearance. Sorry
You are in Texas.. I'm sure someone can help you out.

The reason they don't sound bad is because you probably haven't heard a nice TD setup.

A good exhaust shop will have it tucked up just as good, if not better, than a Ypipe setup. Mine tucked up perfectly, the pacesetter headers set lower.

Bullets sound like *** compared to me compared to 1 chambers IMHO.

You can sell your Ypipe to get what you can. I got my xpipe and 1 chambers (1 chambers were 200$ new for both of them, you can get knock offs for 80$) for 400$ labor and all. So with knock offs it would be 280$.
It is much cheaper than you think, just dump it at the axle.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=lemons12;13163887][QUOTE=xZZx;13163841]
Originally Posted by lemons12
Cutouts are a cheap alternative.

You are in Texas.. I'm sure someone can help you out.

The reason they don't sound bad is because you probably haven't heard a nice TD setup.

A good exhaust shop will have it tucked up just as good, if not better, than a Ypipe setup. Mine tucked up perfectly, the pacesetter headers set lower.

Bullets sound like *** compared to me compared to 1 chambers IMHO.

You can sell your Ypipe to get what you can. I got my xpipe and 1 chambers (1 chambers were 200$ new for both of them, you can get knock offs for 80$) for 400$ labor and all. So with knock offs it would be 280$.
It is much cheaper than you think, just dump it at the axle.
Oh I have SIC GTO on here (I know him IRL) has a TD setup with an MS3 cam, sounds good as hell. However, I like them both and don't really have a preference IMO

I also forgot to mention that I have a CME which is hard to fit onto along with navigating the piping around the panhard bar plus I live with my parents at the moment (transferring to a diff college so I will be out) and absolutely HATE the idea of TD's. At least with a cutout I can in a sense "turn off" the noise.

Did you watch that video btw? I personally thought it sounded good
Old 04-09-2010, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought a dhm electric one, I love it, only close it if I see a cop. Everyone gives me compliments about my exhaust. I have it with headers and a catted Y.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SWEET98SS
I bought a dhm electric one, I love it, only close it if I see a cop. Everyone gives me compliments about my exhaust. I have it with headers and a catted Y.
That is the problem with the ones I'm looking at. I can't close them when I see a cop lol. But the electric ones are sorta expensive too.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did not like my cutout. It's obnoxious to drive with it open on a daily basis, didn't sound that great, but was loud and fun at first. If you just want loud then it's a cheap alternative, but beyond that it's worthless. On the dyno with just a lid I gained 0 hp over a stock exhaust.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

i had a cutout in my stck exhaust. it was ok then because i picked up a few tenths at the track with it. when i went cat back i got rid of it. and it actually picked up a few more tenths with the aftermarket catback the with the cutout on the stock system. now that i have longtubes and an ORY ...i see no need for it at all. everyone has their preference .
Old 04-09-2010, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SMALLBLOCKHERO
i had a cutout in my stck exhaust. it was ok then because i picked up a few tenths at the track with it. when i went cat back i got rid of it. and it actually picked up a few more tenths with the aftermarket catback the with the cutout on the stock system. now that i have longtubes and an ORY ...i see no need for it at all. everyone has their preference .
Ehhhh well the cats quiet the car down too much so I thought I would get this as a cheap little mod for those days I want the car to be loud.

Quick Reply: What is LS1 Tech's opinion on exhaust cutouts?