Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The fix for my endless alternator failure's

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Second pic is a complete parts list for all of the CS series alternators w/ AC- Delco reman part numbers.

Originally Posted by badmfkr
I crusied by O'Rieliy auto store and asked for a 03 Cadilack escalade alternater and he brought out the same small cased 105 amp. atl that the junk yard (they deliveryed 2 like this) I understand that there are actuelly 4 differnt models of escalaids 2 wheel drive 4 wheel drive some loaded some not I'm wondering which exact escalaid has this big ad244. KG3 is meaningless it's only an option code.

A few posts up, I posted a list of all CS series alternators (alternators being discussed here). List shows everything you need. Just click on the Adobe link to see the list. Have attached it below, as well. Hope this helps.

Side note reference for the archives: A 2 wire 145 AMP DR244 can easily be used, also. It takes a 2 wire to 4 wire harness (or some cutting & splicing), but, can be used. I mention this in case someone finds a 2 wire 145 AMP alternator for less than the 4 wire 145 AMP alternator & wants to save some money.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
tas_alt_clock_cs.pdf (11.3 KB, 907 views)
Old 06-09-2011, 09:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

I thought that was a stereo fuse however it doe'snt look water resistant is it there to protect the battery from overcharge?

I crusied by O'Rieliy auto store and asked for a 03 Cadilack escalade alternater.

and he bought out the same small cased 105 amp. atl that the junk yard (they deliveryed 2 like this)
I understand that there are actuelly 4 differnt models of escalaids 2 wheel drive 4 wheel drive some loaded some not I'm wondering which exact escalaid has this big ad244.
KG3 is meaningless it's only an option code.

when I was observing the alt. at the auto store I asked for a lug to fit over the positive output and the Oring of lug was 1/4" however this copper lug was designed for much skinnier wire that my AWG4 I plan to use.
so I have to search a bit of this lug.
I am very interested in this Tuf enought alt. mainly because they claim it to be new maybe TransAm_VS_VR-4 will chime in w/ details.
KG3 would only be applicable at the Junkyard. When you are at the parts store they should ask you if you have a 105 or 145 amp.

I understand the desire to have a new alternator, but I had roughly 10 NEW alternators fail in a year, new ones of different brands and from multiple suppliers, I had a specific purpose in buying a used one, it is most likely to be GM built with actual quality internals. I had one new one fail in 5 minutes, seriously.

Plus, my alternator was $43 at LKQ and over a year later it's still kicking ***. Im assuming the new one is around $200? Thats 5 used ones.....

Maybe ask for a Escalade ESV with all options?

The wire SJ added is to help carry the extra output of the larger alternator, don't worry too much about the water resistantance or lack of, that is a very common under hood fuse to use, if you want water resistant you can get one at a stereo shop like car toys. You could get your wiring and lugs there too.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:52 AM
TECH Veteran

I crusied by O'Rieliy auto store and asked for a 03 Cadilack escalade alternater
Found it on their website in seconds, found it under 2003 Escalade ESV with a 6.0 with a 140 amp plus alternator, and also under a 2003 Suburban 2500 with a 6.0, hell it even lists it on the Silverado, you just have to ask for the 145 amp. It will look similar to the 105, the case is slightly larger. Look at the pics in this thread, sjsingle1 and myself posted tons of pictures and information. Read it and you will find everything you are looking for.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did this swap today with the stock wiring (cleaned up all the connection points, too).

With every conceivable electrical accessory on, AC on high, fans on high, rear defroster on, and it never dropped below 14 volts.

I cheated, though. Got a *new* 145 amp Remy alternator from Advanced Auto Parts for a 2003 Tahoe with the 5.3. Part number is 91611-WU, cost is $155.

Ordered a used one on-line, they sent me a DR44G alternator with the 2 pin plug. After a followup mail and clarifying that I wanted an AD244 with the 4 pin plug, I received another DR44g with a 2 pin plug. I gave up and bought the new one.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

I thought that was a stereo fuse however it doe'snt look water resistant is it there to protect the battery from overcharge?

the fuse holder i am using does have a cover but i have not put it on......i also have a water proof fuse holder that i am not using.........since putting the fuse holder on that you see in the pics i have had zero issues with water or moisture so i have left it alone.......if i should have a issue in the future with moisture i will change it out very quickly
Old 06-10-2011, 07:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fuse is in place to protect the car from a potential fire or destroyed wiring harness if the battery cable shorts to ground, that's why it needs to be as close to the battery as possible. If the battery dead-shorts to ground with no fuse then very bad things will ensue.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today I noticed my volts gauge in the 12's-13's with the car running, took a DVM to the battery with the car and idle and found only getting 13v's so I decided to take it out and have it tested. First place told me it was good and ok! I decided I wanted a second opinion so I took it to place #2 they found the I/F terminal Failed but everything else tested ok.

Thanks to this thread I switched to a new 145 amp 04 Burban Alternator for cheaper then the stock alternator and now my voltage seems to be back to normal with 14.67 @ Idle.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

another satisfied customer
Old 06-18-2011, 09:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Bishop

Ordered a used one on-line, they sent me a DR44G alternator with the 2 pin plug. After a followup mail and clarifying that I wanted an AD244 with the 4 pin plug, I received another DR44g with a 2 pin plug. I gave up and bought the new one.

Keep it as a spare 'cuz the 2 pin can be used, as well. From my post above...

Side note reference for the archives: A 2 wire 145 AMP DR244 can easily be used, also. It takes a 2 wire to 4 wire harness (or some cutting & splicing), but, can be used. I mention this in case someone finds a 2 wire 145 AMP alternator for less than the 4 wire 145 AMP alternator & wants to save some money.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

Well fellas, I've experienced the same issues as stated by the OP. I did the big3, got a new battery, new tensioners, belt, also a KG3 Alternator and I'm still experiencing the same problem. The car is a 2000 m6 camaro ss with heads and cam. No underdrive pulley, no smog or air pump, disconnected my amp to my highs. I've checked every ground (even those behind the head) on the car and even piggybacked the engine ground strap with a 0gauge. I've checked all the fuses (interior and engine bay) and nothing is blown or blackened. The car starts up great and the volts are at about 14.5, gradually the volts creep down as the car warms up until just above 13v then comes the bouncing gauge that I was originally getting. I noticed when the fans kick on the volts start to bounce, is there an inline fuse I'm missing?... I'm at a loss right now, I'm not sure what the next step to take would be... Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

was the alt a junkyard or rebuild?
Old 06-23-2011, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
was the alt a junkyard or rebuild?
junkyard 33k on it
Old 06-25-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

Can someone tell me what to look at next? I put my battery in the rear of the car, and used 1/0 welding wire from the battery to the fuse box, ran 4 guage from the batt to the alt, and then another 4 guage from the fuse box to the starter. Start the car up cold, its up around 13, soon as I hit the brakes or anything it drops. I swapped alts for another stock, didn't work and I came across this thread, I went today and purchased a 145 amp alt off a 05 silverado, still same prob. I checked my ground in the rear, seems ok. It is mounted on the rear seatbelt mount. I am running a redtop optima. Any info would help, I am at a lost.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

i just ran welding wire from the alt to the batt.....not to the fuse box......mine works perfect
Old 06-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

ok swapped the 03 escalade alt in and the voltage seems ok but i have 2 problems once i put the car in reverse and push on the gas hard the cars flickers off and on and i can hear the bcm start to chime like i had just turned the car off ......it was weird and when im in reverse and the wheel is fully locked turning out of a parking spot the car dies...........this didnt happen before!!!
Old 06-27-2011, 11:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by The_Bishop
Just did this swap today with the stock wiring (cleaned up all the connection points, too).

With every conceivable electrical accessory on, AC on high, fans on high, rear defroster on, and it never dropped below 14 volts.

I cheated, though. Got a *new* 145 amp Remy alternator from Advanced Auto Parts for a 2003 Tahoe with the 5.3. Part number is 91611-WU, cost is $155.

Glad it helped!

Originally Posted by SmokedOutZ28
Today I noticed my volts gauge in the 12's-13's with the car running, took a DVM to the battery with the car and idle and found only getting 13v's so I decided to take it out and have it tested. First place told me it was good and ok! I decided I wanted a second opinion so I took it to place #2 they found the I/F terminal Failed but everything else tested ok.

Thanks to this thread I switched to a new 145 amp 04 Burban Alternator for cheaper then the stock alternator and now my voltage seems to be back to normal with 14.67 @ Idle.
Hell yeah, keep us updated if anything changes.

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
another satisfied customer
thanks for all the help and pictures in the thread, and for the info that lead to the idea in the first place

Keep it as a spare 'cuz the 2 pin can be used, as well. From my post above...
Good info posted, 'preciate it!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:38 AM
Staging Lane

got new battery the full steering lock and the car killing itself is gone it runs fine BUT if im at full stop put the car in reverse and give it some throttle to make the car jump backwards hard..the car flickers and chimes from the bcm its like the car restarts itself all connections are tight and the exciter is on there
Old 06-28-2011, 09:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by iraqi devil
got new battery the full steering lock and the car killing itself is gone it runs fine BUT if im at full stop put the car in reverse and give it some throttle to make the car jump backwards hard..the car flickers and chimes from the bcm its like the car restarts itself all connections are tight and the exciter is on there
Check the pins and solder joints in the BCM. Check your power cable going to your fuse box under the hood. Check the body and engine ground wires that come off the negative post of the battery. I would start there.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

if those are the case why does it do it in reverse and not drive? i can floor it in drive no problem once i do it in reverse it acts up!!! anyon know whats up
Old 06-28-2011, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Name:  DSC00620.jpg
Views: 1428
Size:  79.5 KB

a sneak peek

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ator-****.html

Last edited by sjsingle1; 06-28-2011 at 12:50 PM.

Quick Reply: The fix for my endless alternator failure's