Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The fix for my endless alternator failure's

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll check into the exchange.

I'm kindof leary about ordering the ad244 alt. since I had 2 delivered locally and they where both 105 amp. alt.s

would you happen to have the phone# of LKQ?

Thanks
Old 08-23-2011, 11:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by badmfkr
I'll check into the exchange.

I'm kindof leary about ordering the ad244 alt. since I had 2 delivered locally and they where both 105 amp. alt.s

would you happen to have the phone# of LKQ?

Thanks
No I don't but I did a quick google search and here is a link to the website.

http://www.lkqcorp.com/

Order a KG3 alt from a late model truck, all the information to get the right alternator is in the first post of this thread.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

i have also found that LKQ has parts on ebay from time to time
Old 08-28-2011, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I vote sticky!
Old 08-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Launching!

i'm another one, with my wife's z28. thanks for the info!! i'll be changing my starter, all positive wiring and the alternator as well this week. i'll post how it goes. thanks again!!!
Old 08-29-2011, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

i didn't even know i was having an alt problem until i read this post. my headlights were dimming and my voltage was dropping below 13volts. i just thought it had something to do with some other problem i was having. after i had fixed the other problem i noticed i was still having this problem. i just so happen to stumble on this thread and i realized that my alt is going bad. now here is my question. i have the racetronix voltage booster which is connected directly to the alt, along with the the upgraded fuel pump in tank. i was wondering will there be any problems if i put the 145 amp alt on my car? it wont overpower the fuel pump? or prematurely wear it out?
Old 08-29-2011, 10:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bottlefed01z28
i didn't even know i was having an alt problem until i read this post. my headlights were dimming and my voltage was dropping below 13volts. i just thought it had something to do with some other problem i was having. after i had fixed the other problem i noticed i was still having this problem. i just so happen to stumble on this thread and i realized that my alt is going bad. now here is my question. i have the racetronix voltage booster which is connected directly to the alt, along with the the upgraded fuel pump in tank. i was wondering will there be any problems if i put the 145 amp alt on my car? it wont overpower the fuel pump? or prematurely wear it out?
No, the voltage is regulated on either alternator to the same voltage. And do you mean the Racetronix hotwire kit? If so it doesn't boost voltage it just pulls voltage directly from the alternator so that it gets the most voltage available from the charging system. The pump will be fine.

If anything you will now get the voltage you were supposed to be getting to the pump since the alternator will charge properly, if you have low voltage now then the pump has been underpowered.

It will be perfectly fine.

One last thing, the pump PULLS the amperage it needs, this is different than voltage. The amperage is there for the usage but the pump will dictate how many amps it pulls from what is available. Now on the voltage, if you supply it with more voltage it does work the pump harder, so if you now have low voltage you are underworking it. The voltage would be more of a concern, but again the voltage is regulated on the alternator and the pump is built to operate in the regulated range.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 08-29-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I rarely drive my car at night.

during the day the charging sys. is below 13V I estimate 12V going by the OEM guage (thats w/ radio, AC Bi level vent not AC turned on).

last night I was cruising down the expressway as usale 12V then I turn on my headlight atl. was then charging at well above 13V I estimate 14V then I turn on the AC and it stayed at 14V even parked at idel I had 14V (it stayed at 14V w/ high beams on also.

so why doe's the atl, charge normal w/ headlights turned on doe's this sound normal?

Thanks
Old 08-31-2011, 09:54 AM
TECH Veteran

I rarely drive my car at night.

during the day the charging sys. is below 13V I estimate 12V going by the OEM guage (thats w/ radio, AC Bi level vent not AC turned on).

last night I was cruising down the expressway as usale 12V then I turn on my headlight atl. was then charging at well above 13V I estimate 14V then I turn on the AC and it stayed at 14V even parked at idel I had 14V (it stayed at 14V w/ high beams on also.

so why doe's the atl, charge normal w/ headlights turned on doe's this sound normal?

Thanks
No it doesn't sound normal and until you put a known good alternator and new control wire/pigtail on it like I been suggesting I cannot help you.

Your problems above sound like alternator or maybe even ground issue's. Check all your ground wires, take the battery connections off the battery and clean them really well, CALL LKQ like I said and order the right alternator, get a connector for the alternator from NAPA or Oreilly and install that. Everything you need to do this right is posted in this thread. If you still have problems after you do all the above things take it to a shop. There is only so much that can be diagnosed over the internet and your problems are beyond that. And stop asking for a AD244, nobody at a parts house or junkyard knows what that is. It has been posted so many times to get a KG3 option alternator.

Here is the information for the connector

AC Delco part PN# PT1136

I got mine from NAPA so you can try going back there or go to orielly

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...aro&vi=1361450

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 08-31-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

im looking for an alternator if anyone has one for sale..my nearest lkq is about 1.5 hrs away and junkyard sold me one with 2 pin connector...
Old 08-31-2011, 10:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ISMELLRICE
im looking for an alternator if anyone has one for sale..my nearest lkq is about 1.5 hrs away and junkyard sold me one with 2 pin connector...
I think LKQ will ship, it's worth a phone call.

And I believe sjsingle1 now has a spare, PM him and see if he want's to get rid of it or not.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:44 AM
Launching!

Well, my friend and I ended up changing the alternator and going with one that came from a 2002 suburban. Like pooter said, it worked and fit well. For our sanity, we also changed the positive battery lines and the starter, along with adding an extra ground. So far, it lasted the ride to get the kids from school. When the rain passes, i'll bust on it hard, back to back. If it holds over that, we'll have a winner. Thanks again for posting!!
Old 09-04-2011, 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

i should be getting residuals from this thread for my expert consultations
Old 09-05-2011, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
No it doesn't sound normal and until you put a known good alternator and new control wire/pigtail on it like I been suggesting I cannot help you.

Your problems above sound like alternator or maybe even ground issue's. Check all your ground wires, take the battery connections off the battery and clean them really well, CALL LKQ like I said and order the right alternator, get a connector for the alternator from NAPA or Oreilly and install that. Everything you need to do this right is posted in this thread. If you still have problems after you do all the above things take it to a shop. There is only so much that can be diagnosed over the internet and your problems are beyond that. And stop asking for a AD244, nobody at a parts house or junkyard knows what that is. It has been posted so many times to get a KG3 option alternator.

Here is the information for the connector

AC Delco part PN# PT1136

I got mine from NAPA so you can try going back there or go to orielly

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...aro&vi=1361450
when you changed the connector did you lenthen the wires and soider the wires?

did the new connector from NAPA have the same color wires? and a decent weather profh cover?

looks like the alt. needs to be removed in order to unplug this connector is this true?

I crawled under the car and connected the 3rd big 3 wire to alt. and ran it up to the + of battery will connect to + battery this week.

Thanks
Old 09-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Banned

the alt connector is the same as the windshield washer connector. but it comes with all 4 lines instead of 1. you can unplug the connector from the top. its right there.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
LOL can I get in on that too?

when you changed the connector did you lenthen the wires and soider the wires?

did the new connector from NAPA have the same color wires? and a decent weather profh cover?

looks like the alt. needs to be removed in order to unplug this connector is this true?

I crawled under the car and connected the 3rd big 3 wire to alt. and ran it up to the + of battery will connect to + battery this week.

Thanks
May or may not have same color wire, it doesn't matter. Just make sure to compare the new connector to the old one and clip off the wires that are not going to be used. You don't need to lengthen the wire because the new connector already has a long wire. Yes I soldered mine. You can unplug the plug from the top and it's a pain in *** to unclip the lock clip. I used a very small screwdriver or a pick to help pull the lock tab back while I pulled on the plug.

Originally Posted by trnsfmr99
Well, my friend and I ended up changing the alternator and going with one that came from a 2002 suburban. Like pooter said, it worked and fit well. For our sanity, we also changed the positive battery lines and the starter, along with adding an extra ground. So far, it lasted the ride to get the kids from school. When the rain passes, i'll bust on it hard, back to back. If it holds over that, we'll have a winner. Thanks again for posting!!
Good to hear man, sounds like you got it fixed!
Old 09-05-2011, 11:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
This thread will still be going long after we're gone lol.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ISMELLRICE

my OME charging problem dissappears when outside air temps. are less than 80degrees so looks like I'm good till next hot summer.

Last edited by badmfkr; 09-09-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

My check gages lights just started going crazy. Thinking I'll go get my alternator tested and see where to go from there. Has anyone confirmed if LKQ ships?
Old 09-13-2011, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LKQ ships anywhere in US.

Quick Reply: The fix for my endless alternator failure's