Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the chrs1313 Ram air worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 11:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1gt2nv
I'm thinking of buying the chrs1313 ram air from Speed Inc. Is this ram air worth getting?
never tried that one but i do have the jaam ram air and noticed a difference with it. mostly on highway but its def more responsive
Old 05-11-2012, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question, I just ordered the Chris1313 with all of the positive feedback I have seen, can't go wrong. I was just wondering, should I change my lid from my stock lid? to a slp, or a clear one, er something? Any benefits? Thanks fellas
Old 05-11-2012, 06:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I would change the lid there fire120ball. It would benefit the whole setup.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:44 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Yep. I have the SLP on mine and love it. It's a love/hate thing with the fitment for some people, but mine is great.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys
Old 06-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Would like to order the AC version after reading all the positive feedback. If I install a tranny cooler later will it still fit with this kit? Anyone know

Dale
Old 06-06-2012, 09:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1evilz28
Would like to order the AC version after reading all the positive feedback. If I install a tranny cooler later will it still fit with this kit? Anyone know

Dale
Most install, including myself, what is called "dope style" with the trans cooler, it is mounted horizontally near the passenger fog light...

Give it a search in the automatic section and there should be some threads...

Chris
Old 06-06-2012, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just installed chrs1313 ram air with a/c 2 weekend ago, install was a bitch..after cut the v bracket and bend the underside rib of the rad support there's still not enough clearance for the airbox to sit right where it was so I had to cut the top part of the ram air that sits inside the airbox..I can post pic of it later on.

I can vouch that the ram air is actually working though, my butt dyno said so, I can even hear the thing sucking air on idle, but i sealed up everything real good so air can only go in one way from the ram air.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by raysadude
Just installed chrs1313 ram air with a/c 2 weekend ago, install was a bitch..after cut the v bracket and bend the underside rib of the rad support there's still not enough clearance for the airbox to sit right where it was so I had to cut the top part of the ram air that sits inside the airbox..I can post pic of it later on.

I can vouch that the ram air is actually working though, my butt dyno said so, I can even hear the thing sucking air on idle, but i sealed up everything real good so air can only go in one way from the ram air.
Shoot some pics up if you want but by what you are saying i am guessing it might have gotten installed incorrectly, no modification to the ram air should have been done...The lid assembly sits on top of the ram air plate...The plate does not fit inside of it...(so the ram air is sandwiched between the rad/core support and lid assembly base) Yes fitment is tight to get the full advantage with ac still on the car...The specs have not changed on building them though...sorry you had problems...

here are some more pics to show how i installed it on a buddies car awhile back, damn cant believe it has been almost 5 years already

https://ls1tech.com/forums/8331164-post1.html

Last edited by chrs1313; 06-07-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:03 PM
12 Second Club

How much is this worth et wise? Also do you have to cut the car at all? I'm thinking of buying the non ac version in the summer. Also can it be blocked off for street driving. I apologize if some of the questions have been asked already but I just read the first couple pages.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Trick
How much is this worth et wise? Also do you have to cut the car at all? I'm thinking of buying the non ac version in the summer. Also can it be blocked off for street driving. I apologize if some of the questions have been asked already but I just read the first couple pages.
I've been doing a ton of research on this lately, and from what I understand it can be blocked off very easily, and you DO have to cut part of the hood latch with the Chris1313, but not with the SSRA
Old 01-22-2013, 09:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would you want to block it off on the street? Your still going to be running an air filter and how else do you expect the motor to breathe if you block it off?

Et wise I'd say at least .1-.3 tenths minimum if the driver is consistent and similar conditions as before without the addition of the chrs1313

You do have to cut a small portion out but nothing that sacrifices rigidity and nothing that couldn't be welded back later in 5 minutes.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:07 PM
12 Second Club

I would just hate to get stuck in bad weather with it open also my local track can get a quite dusty. Do you have to cut into the radiator support or just the hood latch support. 1-3 tenths is a vert impressive gain so may pick one up as long as I don't have to cut into the radiator support
Old 01-23-2013, 08:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

No one had mentioned cutting the radiator support to me
Old 01-23-2013, 09:28 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Just the hood latch support. Again, to reiterate a point I've made in the past:

My cars a DD and I have the non-AC version. Huge to say the least. I live in Southern LA and that means scortching temps, 100% humidity, and almost constant rain.

Never a problem with a wet air filter, and no coolant temp issues. Hell, I'm still running a stock 186* thermostat.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, I can understand getting rid of windshield wiper reservoir...but let me get this right. You are deleting your AC for a few extra horses, I'm not understanding this "do anything" for 1 or 2 mph on a NON-DRAG car. Meanwhile a new 5.0 or CTS-V pulls up next to you with AC blasting, windows up, and walks away and waves goodbye. And the only difference is you stayed with him for 1mph longer?

Buy a $9.00 sheet of aluminum from Home Depot, Open up the bottom of the lid shelf, port the air from the bottom of car under filter. Old school mod that is cheap and easy and you don't block the radiator or remove AC, leaves your tranny cooler as it is, and doesn't port too much water from under car. Ran this for years before I bought my Volant and I only bought that for car shows because of looks.
Attached Thumbnails Is the chrs1313 Ram air worth it?-upram1.jpg   Is the chrs1313 Ram air worth it?-upram2.jpg   Is the chrs1313 Ram air worth it?-upram3.jpg   Is the chrs1313 Ram air worth it?-upram4.jpg  

Last edited by RJDio; 03-30-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RJDio
Okay, I can understand getting rid of windshield wiper reservoir...but let me get this right. You are deleting your AC for a few extra horses, I'm not understanding this "do anything" for 1 or 2 mph on a NON-DRAG car. Meanwhile a new 5.0 or CTS-V pulls up next to you with AC blasting, windows up, and walks away and waves goodbye. And the only difference is you stayed with him for 1mph longer?

Buy a $9.00 sheet of aluminum from Home Depot, Open up the bottom of the lid shelf, port the air from the bottom of car under filter. Old school mod that is cheap and easy and you don't block the radiator or remove AC, leaves your tranny cooler as it is, and doesn't port too much water from under car. Ran this for years before I bought my Volant and I only bought that for car shows because of looks.
To some it's totally worth the AC delete. For most of us these cars are highly modifies and not our daily drivers, so every little bit counts to some. Personally i'm with you...I kept my AC and went with a SSRA, but I get the rational behind it
Old 03-30-2013, 11:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go back to your hole in the ground and take that Home Depot ram air with you.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
To some it's totally worth the AC delete. For most of us these cars are highly modifies and not our daily drivers, so every little bit counts to some. Personally i'm with you...I kept my AC and went with a SSRA, but I get the rational behind it
How do you like it dude? Ill PM you now, to not clutter this thread.

I agree to a certain extent but that is why they offer an A/C version and a non A/C version. Also not everyone cares to have A/C. I personally do because its unbearable in miami and my car is a daily so deleting it is not an option.

Last edited by adamantium; 03-30-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TurboStangJON
Go back to your hole in the ground and take that Home Depot ram air with you.
LOL, no I'll just buy one that costs $200, grind away my radiator, delete my tranny cooler, delete my AC, and wonder why everyone else is driving with their windows up on a 100 degree day.

Drag cars - yea I get it! People driving these cars to work or school every day, This is flavor of the month debate all over again. Buy this ram air, no this one, no this one. Take your credit card out, buy some heads, cam and whatever else will make your car go vrooom. Deleting the AC and removing it will prob put you 1 or 2 mph up anyway, OMG it's the ram air...

Quick Reply: Is the chrs1313 Ram air worth it?