Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorties or 01-02 manifolds for a smoggable build

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Shorties or 01-02 manifolds for a smoggable build

I know this is going to get me flamed, but I've decided I just don't like LT's. I'm tired of leaks and scraping and I want to be able to pass smog visual. The power gains are nice, but I'm not looking for max effort this time around so I'm thinking of pulling my LT's off in favor of some shorties with stock 00+ cats.

The reason I was thinking shorties and not 01-02 manifolds is because I already have all the 98 stuff and the AIR won't work on the later manifolds, but if the price just isn't worth any gains then I will use the later manifolds and just remove the EGR and AIR altogether and get it passed as upgraded to a later year.

So, keeping the stock cam or maybe an LS6 cam, AFR 205's, and an SLP LS6 intake that has EGR provision and a good tune I think I could pass smog and still make decent power. I'm looking for about 350rwhp. Does this sound like a solid plan? Does anyone have shorties and could tell me how well the seal compared to stock manifolds? I will be using either an aftermarket Y pipe to LM1 or bassani TD's.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't bother the hassle of swapping on '01-'02 manifolds for the power you looking for. shorties only give a slightly better edge over those. IMO, you most likely may want to look at some mid's.

What brand LT's you running? Most don't hit with any problems. I ran longtubes with sportlines for about a year and never put ANY serious dings/scratches into them.

BTW, if you do for whatever hairbrain idea want to go '01-'02 manifolds you will just need to remove EGR and not AIR, but ultimately you know you will need to change your y-pipe or get a new y-pipe if you swap out your LT's.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, AIR from 98 is different than any other year, it has a different connection and piping. I have SLP's on right now, but I have had other in the past and really I'm just tired of the noise/banging/scraping/leaks. I actually liked running the car with the stock manifolds when I bought it a month ago.

I can't do mids since they will move the cats, remember trying to stay smog legal here in cali, I'm sure you know what I mean seeing where you're from. So my thoughts were E.O. # shorties since they WILL gain a bit over stock 98 manifolds which are garbage to begin with, or try to swap to the later manifolds. I think I could find a used set of shorties for pretty cheap? On the other hand brand new short headers are practically the same $$ as LT's so I don't really want to go there.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
Well, AIR from 98 is different than any other year, it has a different connection and piping. I have SLP's on right now, but I have had other in the past and really I'm just tired of the noise/banging/scraping/leaks.
that's your main problem right there... could have bet some big money that was going to be the brand. also the AIR piping can be moved around pretty easily or bent if needed to work with later provisions.

I can't do mids since they will move the cats, remember trying to stay smog legal here in cali, I'm sure you know what I mean seeing where you're from. So my thoughts were E.O. # shorties since they WILL gain a bit over stock 98 manifolds which are garbage to begin with, or try to swap to the later manifolds. I think I could find a used set of shorties for pretty cheap? On the other hand brand new short headers are practically the same $$ as LT's so I don't really want to go there.
you can't do mids since they move the cats but can run longtubes because they don't? Longtubes are even worse then mids, as you can basically get the one passenger side cat back in it's stock location...

MY ANSWER = Find another set of longtubes
Old 06-18-2010, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RrCoX22
that's your main problem right there... could have bet some big money that was going to be the brand. also the AIR piping can be moved around pretty easily or bent if needed to work with later provisions.

you can't do mids since they move the cats but can run longtubes because they don't? Longtubes are even worse then mids, as you can basically get the one passenger side cat back in it's stock location...

MY ANSWER = Find another set of longtubes
The 98 AIR fitting is oriented left to right where the 99+ is front to back. No amount of bending will help this.

I have had several brands of longtubes. I have had the same issues with all of them, some didn't scrape but they all leaked. Sorry if I didn't make that clear before, I wasn't saying LT's are Ok for smog I was just pointing out the mids weren't.

Let me rephrase here. STOCK cats are going back on the car. Period. I'm just trying to find the best way to connect them to the heads right now. I have seen people gain 5-10hp across the curve with shorties over manifolds so I was trying to investigate that. Have you ever used any?
Old 06-18-2010, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you are gonna go with shorties or stock manifolds I would recommend the CheaTR LS1 Head & Cam Package.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Empatho
If you are gonna go with shorties or stock manifolds I would recommend the CheaTR LS1 Head & Cam Package.
This is sorta what I'm looking at. I know the AFR 205s are great heads AND have a CARB E.O. # so they are legal. Then I just need a small cam to compliment them.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:02 AM
Launching!

shorties will pass inpection in cali but your stock manifolds flow just as good as any shorty and i have heard of ppl on the dyno loosing 1 to 2 hp with storties over stock. save our money and go with LT if you deside to do anything if no leave them as is..
Old 06-23-2010, 12:51 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Random Tech has a Y-pipe and hi-flow cat set-up that bolts to stock manifolds. If I were going to move back to CA full time, I might consider that, although it's expensive. It certainly won't give you anything near what LT's do, but it'll increase flow somewhat and reduce backpressure.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:06 AM
Launching!

I say go with shorties and high-flow catted y-pipe. That way you can get a little more power over stock and still pass emissions.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Dude as long as your catted and not throwing codes your pass w/ LT's, inspectors don't know the difference
Old 06-23-2010, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

If you want to use the later style cast iron exhaust manifolds and retain the AIR, you could use the manifolds off the 2000 LS1, That year was equiped with the AIR injection, and had the bosses machined onto the manifolds to accept the AIR tubes. These tubes are bent somewhat different than the 98-99's so you may need to obtain them with the manifolds.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

oops forgot to add, The 2000 exhaust manifolds also have a provision for EGR that the 2001 and 2002 do not.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think I will be going with some pacesetter shorties to 01-02 cats, aftermarket Y pipe with flowmaster merge, and some nice catback. I decided I'm going to grab the Thunder Racing Cheater package with the AFR 205's and cam, and that should put me well past my goal of 350rwhp.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
Dude as long as your catted and not throwing codes your pass w/ LT's, inspectors don't know the difference
not in california lol people actually look for those gay CARB stickers/stamps

yeah i would go shorties as well, those SLP LTs suck dick IMO way too low on passenger side if car is lowered

but sounds like a decent smog approved set up
Old 07-03-2010, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MJs1FastSS
not in california lol people actually look for those gay CARB stickers/stamps

yeah i would go shorties as well, those SLP LTs suck dick IMO way too low on passenger side if car is lowered

but sounds like a decent smog approved set up
Yep thats what I'm going for. I don't need a bunch of horsepower, I want to concentrate more on the cars appearance and suspension. Just need enough power not to get mobbed on by every new thing that comes out for now.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Veteran

This is sorta what I'm looking at. I know the AFR 205s are great heads AND have a CARB E.O. # so they are legal. Then I just need a small cam to compliment them.
its easy to cover an emblem on a head. not that it matters considering ls heads dont circulate exhaust through them like the sbc heads.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just did the same thing minus heads. I had a 234/230 cam with L/Ts, and ORY. I havent smogged it yet, but heres what im running on my 01 WS.6:

Lid
Descreened MAF
Ported TB
TSPs 224R
Stock LS6 Intake (No EGR, since its an 01)
!AIR
02 Manifolds (Lightly ported/portmatched by me)
Stock 01-02 Cats
SLP Y-pipe (Stainless, Very nice fit, and merge)
Catback (Will probably pick up a loudmouth, and keep my Corsa Clones)
Powerbond U/D Pulley w/Gatorback

I was going to go with an LS6 cam, but the 224R has the least amount of overlap to have and still stay smoggable (-4 degrees IIRC) and i got a killer deal on it. It will also be dyno tuned by Rick at Synergy when i get the time. I know im going to lose some power, but im going to let my Performabuilt 4000 Stall, Level 2 '60e, and UMI suspension make up for it.

If i were you, i would just run an 01-02 LS6 manifold, and exhaust manifolds/cats and not worry about the EGR crap.. Just tell em its an 01-02 Smog setup.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like a good build. Thats pretty much what I'm going for but I don't want it to sound cammed which the 224R does have some lope to it even on the 114LSA. Thats the one I had in my last car loved that cam.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:18 AM
TECH Regular

I'm in SD also and looking to do the same thing. The TR cheatrV3 package is ment to be used with stock exhaust. I'll be looking to free up a few extra ponies tho with some Random Tech goodies. I'll prob go with some shorties also, might not pick up much from them but they'll look a hell of alot better than the stock exhaust manifolds when it's show time.