Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 LS1 Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 01:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 99 LS1 Exhaust

So i just bought my 2 borla xr-1 on my way home from afghanistan...So im not home YET and havent got a good look at my car's underbody... i wanna know how many cats i have so i can set up my true duals when i get home. is the stock exhaust on my bird 2-2-1-2 manis, cat, pipe/muffler, 2tips or is it 2-1-1-2 manis, 1 cat, 1muffler, 2 tips.
WANNA KNOW THE STOCK SET UP FOR MY LS1(HOW MANY CATS) SO I CAN ORDER A SET OF HIGH FLOWS IF I NEED TO. OTHER WISE IM GONNA USE THE 2 STOCK CATS AND MANIS FOR THE TIME BEEN...I ALREADY KNOW I HAVE THE (2- -1-2 MANIS PIPE/MUFFLER AND THE DUAL TIPS)

AND ONE LAST THING IF I CONVERT MY STOCK TO TD AM I GONNA NEED A TUNE RUNNING STOCK MANIS AND CATS ... I WILL IF I RUN LONG TUBES BUT IM NOT RUNNING LONG TUBES... HELP ME OUT HERE THANKS

Last edited by WS6_NC88; 12-26-2010 at 01:11 AM.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have 2 manifolds into 2 cats into a Y pipe then a muffler. running stock cats and manifolds with TD is just a waste of time and money. its either you go performance+sound or just go for the sound. get long tubes with TD dumped or over axle or just get a good Y pipe and call it a day. you might want to check emissions law first. good luck.

EDIT: tune is not a must, but its definitely a good idea. and you will get some nice gains.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:38 AM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
you have 2 manifolds into 2 cats into a y pipe then a muffler. Running stock cats and manifolds with td is just a waste of time and money. Its either you go performance+sound or just go for the sound. Get long tubes with td dumped or over axle or just get a good y pipe and call it a day. You might want to check emissions law first. Good luck.

Edit: Tune is not a must, but its definitely a good idea. And you will get some nice gains.
thats what i needed to know man ty. Yeah man i already planned on haven it dumped and turned out infront the tires. And the whole long tubes idk i wanted them more b4 but not so much now im leaning towards shortys. You know if i converted the 2.5 in pipe to 3 inch pipe if ill loose low end torque. And the tune yea if its not needed then cool but i good idea sounding to me now that you say ill get more gain.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Do not waste your money buying shorties, If emissions in your area don't mind do the LT's.

Do any TD' setup dumped with actual mufflers and you'll be fine. As long as there is some type of muffler/bullet/XR1etc.. you won't loose much low end power if any at all.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buddy you need to do some research before you buy anything,the way you do true duals is longtubes,tsp x pipe,or custom,throw a cam in there and it will sound great,shorties are junk,
Old 12-26-2010, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

look at the sticky for exhaust systems,you will find a set up you like.do LTs if you can and delete the cats also.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

ok well the stock manis and cats where a "for the time been" and i am driving it on the road too i wanna stay with in emissions cuz NC is a bitch for inspections im not building a race care im building a show car for say.. and research i do alot of that on everything i do for this car there is just some things i need to know that im not sure on. and the long tubes i agree they're for ture duals but i dont got the money right now for them so im gonna leave stock an stock cats and later when i do if i do get lt's i can just cut the the sraight pipe exhaust pipe down a foot or so cuz i am havin it dumped and turned out through the side skirts i got a preatty good set up and way of getting it all done it takes time seens how im in a learning process also. let me know though if you got any info
Old 12-27-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ X2 on shorties its pretty much useless. if you are not sure f it dont do it! gather more info, check the sticky it has a lot of nice info and pics. if your mainly for a show car just go for a catback with stock manifolds and cats the LM2 will sound sick i think.