Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maxing out a bolt-on only car (stock heads, stock cam, NA)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 12:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Maxing out a bolt-on only car (stock heads, stock cam, NA)

I'm trying to max out my stock internal car power wise. Before someone says, "not worth the swap" or "not worth it for the money", I'm not asking that. I am asking is there anything else I'm forgetting?

What the car has that I am reusing:
-UDP
-SUX2BU ram air (sealed to lid)
-Dumped TSP true duals

What is waiting to be installed:
-1 7/8 LTs
-FAST 102/ 102 TB
-Fast toys 104mm lid w/ 4in coupler
-100mm MAF
-Miezer EWP
-An actual tune with AFR readings ( )

The only other thing I can think of is wrapping the headers which I'm on the fence about and possibly switching to all synthetics (unlikely)

Max it out POWER WISE, not looking for car/ driveline information at this time

Last edited by Magnet; 01-11-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Gears and stall if it's an automatic. Weight reduction?

Besides that maybe E85 if you really want to get every single drop out of the engine without touching the heads and internals.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnet
I'm trying to max out my stock internal car power wise.
Dyno or track?

If track, I don't see tires or suspension on your list. Would definitely help with that 1.99 60'.
If just for power on a dyno, then I think you nailed everything except maybe some porting, but that may be moot with the stock configurations. SD tune--although I've never been a fan of it, personally.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by redtan
Gears and stall if it's an automatic. Weight reduction?

Besides that maybe E85 if you really want to get every single drop out of the engine without touching the heads and internals.
Thanks for the input. I'm not looking for information on the car/ driveline though, just how to max it out power wise.

I would consider e85 but there are hardly any stations near me, and it is my daily driver.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jersey Mike
Dyno or track?

If track, I don't see tires or suspension on your list. Would definitely help with that 1.99 60'.
If just for power on a dyno, then I think you nailed everything except maybe some porting, but that may be moot with the stock configurations. SD tune--although I've never been a fan of it, personally.
Yea just looking for tips on power. The 60' is only bad bc I leave like a grandma on the stock rear. Waiting for my MWC fab 9in

An SD tune isn't out of the question, but I like the MAF for changes in DA. Also have considered getting Tony Mamo to port the manifold, but I don't have money for that at this time..
Old 01-11-2011, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about little things like MSD coil packs and removing the AC belt.

I dont know why you would attempt E85 though. Alcohol has less useable energy per volume than gasoline. Your power would decrease with E85. The only place you could use alcohol and make more power than the same engine with gas is in situations where gas would not be feasible (super high compression or massive heat etc). You would need significantly more E85 fuel to be burnt to make the same power as the same amount of gasoline without alcohol. Though most these days is E15.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by safemode

I dont know why you would attempt E85 though. Alcohol has less useable energy per volume than gasoline. Your power would decrease with E85. The only place you could use alcohol and make more power than the same engine with gas is in situations where gas would not be feasible (super high compression or massive heat etc). You would need significantly more E85 fuel to be burnt to make the same power as the same amount of gasoline without alcohol. Though most these days is E15.
Im not switching to MSD coils, although I have considerred the truck coil swap, although it appears that is a myth...

Good info on E85, I wasnt aware of that. It would be too difficult to fill up anyways..
Old 01-11-2011, 12:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by safemode

Not true. E85 does require more fuel (30% I believe) but there are definitely gains to be had. Might be minimal in a non-boosted car, but they are there with the higher octane and cooler burn. Obviously just throwing E85 in the car will not get the most out of this, so a tune would be necessary.

To the OP, you pretty much have everything power wise done. You could change out the rockers, but that might not be stock internal to you. You could always mill the heads down for that little bit more compression. Other than those and E85 (and the porting you mentioned), there isn't much left to cover under pure hp. Weight, etc. is where you need to look.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WSsick
Not true. E85 does require more fuel (30% I believe) but there are definitely gains to be had. Might be minimal in a non-boosted car, but they are there with the higher octane and cooler burn. Obviously just throwing E85 in the car will not get the most out of this, so a tune would be necessary.

To the OP, you pretty much have everything power wise done. You could change out the rockers, but that might not be stock internal to you. You could always mill the heads down for that little bit more compression. Other than those and E85 (and the porting you mentioned), there isn't much left to cover under pure hp. Weight, etc. is where you need to look.
Weight has been fully looked at and is in continual process, there's a reason the car already goes 120.7
Old 01-11-2011, 01:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnet
Weight has been fully looked at and is in continual process, there's a reason the car already goes 120.7
Wow, I looked at the wrong car in your sig. I was going to say that I expected a lot more than 116, considering I'm full weight and a lot less mods and best trap is 112.89, 3mph wouldn't be impressive...but 120! Damn

E85 + good tune might net you 10hp or more, but combine that with some rockers and a good mill job on the heads and you could be looking at 20+, maybe 25-30 with that port job on the intake.

If you REALLLLLLY wanted to get ****, you would have done this on a stripper with cloth seats on a 98-00, since they have a slightly bigger cam. Like I said, only for the most **** of folks.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

you can do basic porting to the intake yourself if the new ones are anything like the 90/90 or 92/92

skip the coils (especially junk msd coils)

I agree about rocker arms, more lift without a cam swap

Lightweight flywheel, synthetic fluids, and there's not really much else I can think of...I highly advise you do get a good driveshaft if you plan on hard track launches. The stock aluminum ones are absolute junk. My buddy has snapped 2 on street tires.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WSsick
Wow, I looked at the wrong car in your sig. I was going to say that I expected a lot more than 116, considering I'm full weight and a lot less mods and best trap is 112.89, 3mph wouldn't be impressive...but 120! Damn

E85 + good tune might net you 10hp or more, but combine that with some rockers and a good mill job on the heads and you could be looking at 20+, maybe 25-30 with that port job on the intake.

If you REALLLLLLY wanted to get ****, you would have done this on a stripper with cloth seats on a 98-00, since they have a slightly bigger cam. Like I said, only for the most **** of folks.
E85 sounds cool, but rockers and milling the heads are illegal. It has to be "Stock internal" as in, it cant even have upgraded pushrods or springs..

I would have considered a 98-00 car because of the cam, but the heads are significantly worse, and head swaps aren't allowed.

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
you can do basic porting to the intake yourself if the new ones are anything like the 90/90 or 92/92

skip the coils (especially junk msd coils)

I agree about rocker arms, more lift without a cam swap

Lightweight flywheel, synthetic fluids, and there's not really much else I can think of...I highly advise you do get a good driveshaft if you plan on hard track launches. The stock aluminum ones are absolute junk. My buddy has snapped 2 on street tires.
I have a PST 3.5 in driveshaft just waiting for my 9in to compliment it
Old 01-11-2011, 06:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Short belt mod would net you a few ponies. I would go with the SD tune if I were you. I'm working on finsihing mine up when the weather breaks.
What are you running in terms of exhaust after the headers? You may want to throw on some 12" or 24" extensions straight off the headers (to protect the O2 sensors) and ditch the rest of the exhaust for the track.
I've never done it but some people take their air filters out for the track. I've heard mixed results but might be worth a try.
I'm currently building a SI car myself, so all these things are fresh on my mind
Old 01-11-2011, 08:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by zracer323
Short belt mod would net you a few ponies. I would go with the SD tune if I were you. I'm working on finsihing mine up when the weather breaks.
What are you running in terms of exhaust after the headers? You may want to throw on some 12" or 24" extensions straight off the headers (to protect the O2 sensors) and ditch the rest of the exhaust for the track.
I've never done it but some people take their air filters out for the track. I've heard mixed results but might be worth a try.
I'm currently building a SI car myself, so all these things are fresh on my mind
I run a short belt at the track, I'm considering an SD tune, but I doubt there would be much if an gains over a 100mm MAF, and I would lose drivability especially here in florida where there is large weather swings. I have TSP true duals dumped before the axel, but am going to pull the bullet mufflers for the track, which like you were saying would leave about 24in or so of pipe to not fowl the 02's. Pulling the filter concerns me with the SUX2BU ram air... You would be surprised what I have found under my filter... those are some BIG openings!
Old 01-11-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Skinnies on the front and over inflate the fronts at the track. Ditch the front sway bar
Old 01-11-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you are looking for everything you an get it would be dumb jot to wait til u have the money for mamo to port it.
Chrs1313 RAM air would be on my list.. i have seen nothing but good things from it. Everything I have seen it picks up a few rwhp from the other ram airs.. every 1/2 rwhp counts, yea?
Old 01-11-2011, 09:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Skinnies on the front and over inflate the fronts at the track. Ditch the front sway bar
Thanks but I have weight reduction covered I also make sure the fronts are inflated well, that is a good tip in general though!

Originally Posted by lemons12
If you are looking for everything you an get it would be dumb jot to wait til u have the money for mamo to port it.
Chrs1313 RAM air would be on my list.. i have seen nothing but good things from it. Everything I have seen it picks up a few rwhp from the other ram airs.. every 1/2 rwhp counts, yea?
That first sentence is a mess lol... I think you are saying to wait until Mamo can port it if I want everything out of it? The only reason I disagree is because I don't mind pulling the intake again when I have hte money.. I'm not going to to wait to get the car running.

I am also very content with my SUX2BU ram air.. it is a toss up between it and the chrs1313 version. Although he is partial to his own design obviously, even Chris admits they are very competitive. Plus I made mine and it is already on the car
Old 01-11-2011, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sorry, I'm on my phone.. yes, I was saying that.

If that ram air is already installed, I would keep it as well.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You pretty much have everything covered. Some 1.8 or 1.85 rockers are about all thats left
Old 01-11-2011, 10:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
You pretty much have everything covered. Some 1.8 or 1.85 rockers are about all thats left
Not allowed

Quick Reply: Maxing out a bolt-on only car (stock heads, stock cam, NA)