Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*General* FAST LSXr 102 thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 10:36 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sommer, you and 6le are my damn heroes.

Originally Posted by Sommer86@6LE
Tony, Nice meeting you today at the shop...and thanks for the heads (btw, they do have the red stripes installed).

And for you strut tower brace "wanters" (and a fellow PHK'er), as soon as I get my car up and running we'll be modifying our custom STB's to clear the 102's. Just a little FYI info to pass on.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:39 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tony, Nice meeting you today at the shop...and thanks for the heads (btw, they do have the red stripes installed).
Cool....I pretty much set everyone up with the upgrade spring but I didn't remember 100% and it never hurts to check!

Give me more of a heads up next time and I will give you the nickel tour of the operation in the back. Shoot me a PM or call next time before you head up.

Cheers,
Tony
Old 03-09-2011, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
What a FPITA today. FOUR TIMES to get the intake to WP clearance right. I learned that 320gt sand paper makes a darn good feeler gauge. Finally got it torqued down.

Some more findings; I knew the WP had to be ground out but. Before it was torqued down, it looked ok so I thought, "Well, maybe not this one." Nope. Got REALLY close half the way through the first try. Loosen it back up, wedge it up with the rubber handle on a pair of Dycs. Grind the WP down. Second try, STILL too tight after the first TQ pass. Back off AGAIN. Ground it down some more and the Dremel snagged the towel I was using to cover the intake/heads/valley. TRY it again.. STILL not good enough.. MOTHAFUKA!!! NOW I'm getting pissed. Ground it down again, Dremel snagged the towel again and Dremel saw a quick trip against the wall. The first Dremel died (craftsman,) now the second one doesn't work because of it's little "ride" across the garage.

4th time was the charm. But I got aggressive with it. 4.5" angle grinder and a carbide bit on a 3/*' DeWalt drill. Also took a HAIR off the bottom of the intake. Kept checking it with the piece of 320 gt sand paper to use as a feeler gauge. It wasn't going all the way under the throat before and I didn't like it so I wouldn't let myself finish torquing the intake. Don't want to break an $800 manifold.

And a tip for the torque wrench (I used a SMALL Snap-on 3.8" lb/in tw.) Don't snap the socket on there all the way and it works fine. None of my extensions would work. Even have a 1/2" length extension.

Anyway.. Here's some pics for visual aids... and to elaborate on my "Sand paper feeler gauge." It works tho.

Before torquing. This gap can be deceiving.

After it's torqued (first pass), it will look like this:

This is where it was hitting. Couldn't get the paper past this was concerning me.

Third try grinding. Not good enough. Gotta take the side of the bolt "boss" out almost to the threads. Even w some off the intake.

Weird... This is the new WP i just bought. It's an AC Delco and I believe it's an LS2 style. Hopefully I'm avoiding the problem you ran into.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like the FAST 102 is not worth the hassle for 5-10rwhp and identical track times as FAST 90/92 manifolds.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 913 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by 427LS7HCI
Seems like the FAST 102 is not worth the hassle for 5-10rwhp and identical track times as FAST 90/92 manifolds.
Yeah I feel that way too. I wish there we had more dyno results but it's easier said that done I know.

If I could find a unmolested 92 I would buy one.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Veteran

^ Meh.. It's not like I'm married to it. I can get what I paid for it easily.

Weird... This is the new WP i just bought. It's an AC Delco and I believe it's an LS2 style. Hopefully I'm avoiding the problem you ran into.

[/IMG]s
I don't think so. If you look where the bolt is on the top of my WP, yours dosen't have that.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

It looks like the LS2 water pump takes care of the clearance issue. But I bet that water pump is 100 bucks.

WTF FAST?

I just bought a new water pump when I did all my engine work!

Last edited by LilJayV10; 03-09-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

So I take no one sells the FAST 92 anymore? Where did they all go? I figure a sponsor has to have one laying around somewhere.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered the Fast 102mm today for my new build LS3 431cid. I think it will help me. Right now i have the Fast 90mm on my 418cid.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:01 PM
TECH Veteran

This fukin POS, I've had it. if this intake wasn't soo fukin expensive I'd take the buisness end of a fukin hammer to it right now.

Go fukin figure on this damn board, you wait and wait for people to answer a question and then you get the fukin answer AFTER IT'S TOO LATE!! If you get a damn answer at all..

Go fukin figure I didn't get one goddamn person telling me in the past THREE MONTHS that the "fat" SVO injectors won't work until AFTER I get the fuking thing set up and **** fuel out of the fukin rails. If anyone gives a ****, don't bother with this fuking thing. Get a 92, unless you've got a GTO, Vette or 5th gen Camaro. I'm OUT of money for this fukin build, the tune has to be pushed back now, and I've gotta rip this fukin intake out AGAIN!!!!

I'm out of patience with this ****. NOW I just want my car back.. Granted it's in my garage, but it will be a while now before I can get it running. Gotta find someone willing to trade injectors with me for the skinny ones that I was SUPPOSED to use. oh and that NO ONE told me about until NOW. If I end up losing bottom end on this mammoth bastard, it's going back to Mamo in hopes to exchange it for a ported 92 he's gotta have squirreled away somewhere.

I've fukin had it..

Last edited by bayer-z28; 03-21-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm sorry you didn't know that. If you asked it in here I didn't see it. I don't know if it helps or not but I have a set of LS2 injectors which are 34lbs and the brackets to run them. You will need an adapter to run them though.

http://fuelinjectorconnection.com/sh...tId=24&added=1

I am sorry you are having so many problems with it. That's why I sold mine and went with the 92.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

This fukin POS, I've had it. if this intake wasn't soo fukin expensive I'd take the buisness end of a fukin hammer to it right now.

Go fukin figure on this damn board, you wait and wait for people to answer a question and then you get the fukin answer AFTER IT'S TOO LATE!! If you get a damn answer at all..

Go fukin figure I didn't get one goddamn person telling me in the past THREE MONTHS that the "fat" SVO injectors won't work until AFTER I get the fuking thing set up and **** fuel out of the fukin rails. If anyone gives a ****, don't bother with this fuking thing. Get a 92, unless you've got a GTO, Vette or 5th gen Camaro. I'm OUT of money for this fukin build, the tune has to be pushed back now, and I've gotta rip this fukin intake out AGAIN!!!!

I'm out of patience with this ****. NOW I just want my car back.. Granted it's in my garage, but it will be a while now before I can get it running. Gotta find someone willing to trade injectors with me for the skinny ones that I was SUPPOSED to use. oh and that NO ONE told me about until NOW. If I end up losing bottom end on this mammoth bastard, it's going back to Mamo in hopes to exchange it for a ported 92 he's gotta have squirreled away somewhere.

I've fukin had it..

I did a search for you and found this, Hope it helps you out
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-question.html
Old 03-22-2011, 12:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've fukin had it..

Im pretty sure i said this earlier in the thread but you need to use either LS2 rails and injectors or buy the spacer kit for your LS1 rails so that the injector bodies will clear the shell. I thought that was clearly listed on FASTs website as well?
Old 03-22-2011, 07:29 AM
TECH Veteran

^ It's not the rails, it's the injectors. I can't use the fatties, I need the skinny injectors. Running billet rails too. And I got the intake through Mamo. Not seeing anything about it on the FAST site.

I'm just frustrated is all. It just seems like I always find out AFTER the fact.

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
I did a search for you and found this, Hope it helps you out
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-question.html
Thanks for the find. I just never heard anyone telling me that these won't work until now so I didn't even think about the possibility. Saw one guy who responded to my WTT thread who's running them, but I wonder. Like that thread stated "My rule of thumb is that there should be no interference on the side of the inector causing any deflection which can stress the seal at the o-ring." This is making me wonder what that person did the get them to work, if they work at all and weren't ditched after a month.

And oddly enough, searching through Google works better than searching on here. (for Tech threads)

Last edited by bayer-z28; 03-22-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

I just ordered a 102mm my self, and i didn't know about the SVO injector ether. So I guess ill be looking for injectors to, I also had a set of the SVO 42lbs green tops thats on my Fast 90mm, so ill haft to sale them with the intake when i remove it.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:24 AM
TECH Veteran

^ Go through Jon at FIC. He's REALLY good to deal with! Just got off the phone with him and he's trading me straight up for my greentops. He said he's got a set of LS1 style injectors rated at 42# that will work for me.

http://www.corvetteinjectors.com/sho...php?groupid=17

Last edited by bayer-z28; 03-22-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

^ Go through Jon at FIC. He's REALLY good to deal with! Just got off the phone with him and he's trading me straight up for my greentops. He said he's got a set of LS1 style injectors rated at 42# that will work for me.

http://www.corvetteinjectors.com/sho...php?groupid=17

Good deal ,thanks
Old 03-22-2011, 12:10 PM
TECH Resident

Jon also set me up with my LS1 36lb injectors for my FAST setup. Great guy to deal with!
Old 03-23-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've fukin had it..

Just came across this and now I'm worried. Is there a way to check if I have a "fat" style injector visually without taking anything off the car? I have Bosch 42 lb green tops that the previous owner installed, so I have no idea if these are the "fat" style or not. Hopefully I won't have to deal with the same headache you did.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by warbird27
Just came across this and now I'm worried. Is there a way to check if I have a "fat" style injector visually without taking anything off the car? I have Bosch 42 lb green tops that the previous owner installed, so I have no idea if these are the "fat" style or not. Hopefully I won't have to deal with the same headache you did.
I believe you have what i have , And yes you can see them. The lower bodies are metal and the upper are plastic (green) Mine are the Bosch style SVO 42lbs. and they are fat. The one that fit the 102mm are all plastic and are a narrow body like the factory style

Quick Reply: *General* FAST LSXr 102 thread