Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMMG, how loud?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 08:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GMMG, how loud?

i have spent hours on ls1 sounds and searching the forums, but considering no 2 cameras sound the same, i can not make up my mind. so i decided to ask. i am trying to pick a cat back for my 02 ws6. I'm torn between the gmmg and the magnaflow. I'm leaning hard towards the gmmg, but without hearing it in person i cant be sure. all i really want to know is how loud is it. compared to the magnaflow, borla, and lm1. if someone could put them in order from quietest to loudest for me that would be incredibly helpful.

thanks in advance,
Bruce
Old 03-22-2011, 08:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's the second-loudest after the LM with headers. It's actually louder inside the cabin than a LM1 but sounds great. I'm putting a dual/dual on with cme in a couple of weeks to go quiet again. Good luck man.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:54 PM
12 Second Club

I have GMMG on the car now. Sounded awesome and not too loud with stock setup before GMMG. Added longtubes and it got louder but still sounds great. Not overly loud in car, you can carry on a conversation without raising your voice. Added a electric cutout and my friends say it sounds like a nascar when W.O.T. After personally hearing Magnaflow, lm1,lm2, id definitely rate the GMMG as best sounding with our without headers
Old 03-22-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

In order from quietest to loudest:

Magnaflow
Borla/GMMG
LM1

My brother has LT's, ORY, magnaflow high flow cat in the i-pipe, and GMMG and it's loud as fuh at highway cruising speeds inside the car...

I've had Magnaflow on my car, switched to LM2, and now at Borlamouth (XR1 muffler in place of the LM2 muffler) All w/ LT's and ORY. Borlamouth is by far the best sounding. Deep, throaty, and just as loud as LM2 when you get on it. Not loud inside at all while cruising.

If you're just doing catback, GMMG, Borla or LM1 is the way to go. If you're adding LT's and ORY, both will get raspy as ****.

Last edited by egott_91; 03-22-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

I had a Magnaflow CB on my car for a few months and with a few 900 mile one way trips home the sound at cruise is, believe it or not, louder/dronier than the GMMG at cruise (65+). Once you get on it, who cares how loud it is, as long as it sounds good! I have had compliments even from just starting my car. The GMMG has a deeper tone, but not droney AT ALL. The Magnaflow gets annoying after a while. I would definitely spend a little more for the GMMG. You WILL NOT regret it.

BTW, I am stock with just GMMG CB
Old 03-22-2011, 09:52 PM
Launching!

Love my GMMG. Have had it on the car for like 4 years. No droan and its not that loud on a stock car but it will whail at WOT. I just installed long tubes and an ORY over the weekend it sounds amazing with the GMMG. Louder yes, but I was actually suprised how quiet it was cruising. Now at WOT its like the hand of God. Pure sex.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fastbird02
i have spent hours on ls1 sounds and searching the forums, but considering no 2 cameras sound the same, i can not make up my mind. so i decided to ask. i am trying to pick a cat back for my 02 ws6. I'm torn between the gmmg and the magnaflow. I'm leaning hard towards the gmmg, but without hearing it in person i cant be sure. all i really want to know is how loud is it. compared to the magnaflow, borla, and lm1. if someone could put them in order from quietest to loudest for me that would be incredibly helpful.

thanks in advance,
Bruce
I would go with the magnaflow. Then with the money you saved you can buy some long tube headers and a cut out.

Loudness

Stock
-
-
-Magnaflow
-
-
-
-
-Gmmg
-
-Loudmouth/Cut-out
Old 03-22-2011, 11:10 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by ZROCWS6
Love my GMMG. Have had it on the car for like 4 years. No droan and its not that loud on a stock car but it will whail at WOT. I just installed long tubes and an ORY over the weekend it sounds amazing with the GMMG. Louder yes, but I was actually suprised how quiet it was cruising. Now at WOT its like the hand of God. Pure sex.
Wow. Couldn't disagree more. My GMMG was perfect when the car was stock. Added 3000 stall converter and it became a little too loud. Went with LT/ORY and it was so loud and raspy that it didn't last one day. Took cats, a powerstick and resonator tips to calm it down. Finally ditched it all for a Hooker Maxflow setup and couldn't be happier.

I don't like the standard Magnaflow catback with those cannon tips. It doesn't sound great, either, IMO. The best way to go there is to buy their muffler separate and build the catback with Dynomax I and over the axle pipe and muffler shop fabbed tailpipes.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:22 PM
Teching In

gmmg with a high flow cat Y and LTs is the absolute best set up ive heard,

cats make it so the exhaust doesnt cackle back on down shifts and sound like ****.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:29 AM
Captain Double Post

I have always thought of gmmg as a great sounding lm1,magnaflow even on a cammed car still is kinda quite,if ya want quite magnaflow wins,oh wait but screams at wot lmao,gmmg is loud but cats will always help,it really depends on if your staying stock internals or not,but imo gmmg craps on magnaflow any day of the week!
Old 03-23-2011, 07:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

On a stock car its perfect. I'v been running my GMMG for abour 3 yrs now. I wouldn't trade it for the world

Once I added my cam, LTs and O/R Y you need ear plugs when i go WOT and it was raspy. To tame it I added a flowmaster merge and the key component was adding a powerstick in the I pipe and installed it against the grain. That is what killed 98% of my rasp

Ohhh and I also have a cut out on the car too
Old 03-23-2011, 07:45 AM
TECH Resident

I agree with what was posted off. the LM1 is probably the loudest, with GMMG right behind it.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:45 AM
12 Second Club

I took my GMMG/LT/ORY car for a long trip driving my 6 speed around 1800rpms for 2.5 hours one way and it was SO droney. I loved it more before that trip. I had it on stock manifolds for over a year and it sounded awesome; I put lt's on it and it sounded even better. If I still had it, I'd run cats and be done with it.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

gmmg is about the same as the lm2
Old 03-23-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rob69zombie
I took my GMMG/LT/ORY car for a long trip driving my 6 speed around 1800rpms for 2.5 hours one way and it was SO droney. I loved it more before that trip. I had it on stock manifolds for over a year and it sounded awesome; I put lt's on it and it sounded even better. If I still had it, I'd run cats and be done with it.

So true on the drone lol. I cannot carry a phone conversation with anyone.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:45 AM
Teching In

cats are key, i have kooks headers, cats, and cam heads.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:20 PM
Launching!

Stock, you'll love it. I have no LT's and still have have the stock cats. Your gonna want cats if you go lt's. I have heard it with an ory and it is a bit raspy. Not as bad at the LM1 though.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here is my car with the GMMG and my cutout

Old 03-23-2011, 03:12 PM
Banned

your better off telling people where you live and just meeting someone locally so you can hear it in person.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cookba
your better off telling people where you live and just meeting someone locally so you can hear it in person.
That's also very true

Quick Reply: GMMG, how loud?