Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exciter wire voltage fluctuating why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default exciter wire voltage fluctuating why?

im trying to chase down a problem with my voltage guage dancing and lights randomly dimming. i just installed a new battery and new alternator and both checked out ok. so im wondering why would the voltage reading fluctuate in the exciter wire without turning any of the accessories on or off? a/c was of and fans were on the whole time, so that shouldn't affect it. i have also checked all power/grounds for contact and corrosion.

Last edited by poltergeist 02; 04-12-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of alternator? I got one from PepBoys and it looked pretty. Piece of ****, would stop charging when it got really hot or cold out. Of course on their test setup the alternator passed OK.

I even rigged a momentary switch between battery voltage and the exciter - on cold days I would start the car, if voltage was low (alternator not charging) I would go under the hood and press the switch and the extra voltage made the crap alternator start charging.

Bought a used stock alternator off here and all problems solved.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

it's a car quest brand alt. i replaced the factory one because it was doing the same thing @ only 26000mi. thought it may have had some corrosion build up inside it from its age.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:51 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Are you referring to the control wire in the four pin plug? It gets it's signal from the PCM.

I'd trace this wire through the harness and see if it's got a connection problem or is chaffed and grounding on something sporadically with movement.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with reman alts is they only fix what's broken. The regulator in the alt needs to be replaced. They test fine but I'm 99% sure it's the regulator. See if u can find a rebuild shop in your area and have them replace it no matter how it tests.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Another thing to check is your power steering pump. If the shaft seal is leaking it drips PS fluid on the alternator, bad.

I did OK with a reman PS pump from pep boys, no leaks.

Might want to pick up an exciter wire at some point. The wire can get strained at the connector during removal/install, just keep an eye on it:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02...item563c8ffac2
Old 04-15-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have checked all of these things and so far i havn't found anything that throws up a red flag.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:46 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by poltergeist 02
im trying to chase down a problem with my voltage guage dancing and lights randomly dimming. i just installed a new battery and new alternator and both checked out ok. so im wondering why would the voltage reading fluctuate in the exciter wire without turning any of the accessories on or off? a/c was of and fans were on the whole time, so that shouldn't affect it. i have also checked all power/grounds for contact and corrosion.
To come to the conclusion that the exciter wire has a fluctuating voltage, can we assume you connected a volt meter to it while the engine was running?

What voltage does this wire read when disconnected (unplugged) from the alternator with the engine running? This voltage will be a reading of what the PCM is sending to the alternator.

Without further testing, I'll say your problem is not the alternator.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by poltergeist 02
My 02 does the same exact thing, I hope you find a solution so I can fix mine. Good Luck.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:04 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

So what should the voltage be at the exciter wire with the car running and you disconnect it from the alternator?
Old 07-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Banned

funny i am having the same issue. new alt, not a reman, and ps pump is not leaking on alt. gotta be that exciter wire or the grounding strap is hitting something and killing the voltage although mine hasnt gone below 11.4 yet but it does fluctuate between 14.1 and 11.4.

oh and i would use this exciter wire over the other one posted as it comes with 18" of wire compared to 6".
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS1-A...lenotsupported

Quick Reply: exciter wire voltage fluctuating why?