Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worth it to upgrade headers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the current setup?
Old 06-19-2011, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was wondering why you dont just go true duals with the longtubes and keep the whole smog setup just for smog.. it would sound better then running the back into the single exhaust, and make more power still.. y pipes are garbage if your trying to make decent power..anyone know if these gains between 1 3/4 -1 7/8 are open headers or trual duals?
Old 06-20-2011, 12:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lightbulb

Sorry, this just provides part of the information needed to make a proper decision.

Who cares about merely an engine dyno? I care about a car dyno which takes into account the full exhaust -- and to see the full torque curve at RPM.

This idea the 1 7/8 "make more power, it has been proven, PERIOD" is possible just under very specific criteria -- usually at a high-rpm band. Plus the TX Speed link says the increase is ONLY above 4800 RPM plus that is with a FAST intake, not even stock LS6 intake... Yea, how many have the FAST intake, a rather small % of those in the market for LTs. Therefore on a stock car w/ls6 intake, it's likely upwards of 4800 RPM to see any benefits of 1 7/8 -- so the LT choice totally depends on what types of power mods are planned. Many may not care about that high-rpm band and would not make much use of it, like a primarily street-driven car.

Until someone can show me a car dyno proof of idle up-to max RPMs -- with a stock car, 1 3/4 & 1 7/8 of the same brand, nobody can make a truly informed decision which is best for THEIR application. I think many people are highly suggestible and don't understand (or care) the controls necessary for a proper comparison. Lest we be accused of being "closed minded" because we are STILL SEEKING the missing "FACTS".

Also, if I had a computer record where my RPMs are over the course of months of driving -- I would better know where I might care most about torque.

If you recommend the Flowmaster is there a version that's stainless steel? I have not seen one, so that rules out that choice for me.

Originally Posted by lemons12
1 7/8 headers flow 19-20% more air than 1 3/4.

This will make more power everywhere. This is the same kind of thing that happened when the 102 first came out, people arguing it wouldn't be worth it on a SI or cam only or even stock cube H/C setup... As well as it actually loosing power.
Same thing with this, why it is still a debate, I'm not sure.

The 1 7/8 WILL make more Hp/Tq gains above 3000 Rpms, they might equal 1 3/4 below that (doubtful), but 1 3/4 will not make more power anywhere.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...p-426rwtq.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...o-results.html

As far as a merge goes.. I recommend the Flowmaster. ARH isn't much better than most. Same goes for Kooks etc.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:50 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Just posted in that other header thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/15061830-post32.html

Quick Reply: Worth it to upgrade headers?