Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tsp catted y-pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tsp catted y-pipe?

trying to install tsp catted y-pipe and i knew it was going to be a paid in the ***. Figured i would run this idea across you guys 1st. I was thinking about cutting the I-pipe about 1 foot (from where they should meet), then mock up the y-pipe to where i want it for the most part, then modify the I pipe (cut) to butt fit and then maybe tack weld and use a 3" band clamp. Do you think it would hold fine with just the band clamp, or should i tack weld it also. any additional info would be great.

Problem is I dont want to take the cat-back apart/off for hooker quality reasons.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:56 AM
Staging Lane

anyone??
Old 07-14-2011, 09:30 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What headers and catback are you mating the catted Y up to? There should be no reason to have to cut or modify it if you're matching it to the right headers and catback!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 07-14-2011, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

hooker lt headers and hooker cat-back
Old 07-14-2011, 09:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
What headers and catback are you mating the catted Y up to? There should be no reason to have to cut or modify it if you're matching it to the right headers and catback!
Same thing I was told when I bought all my exhaust items from you guy's...didn't work out that way. The Y-Pipe design/fit was terrible. Had to cut my Y-Pipe to heck in order for it to fit half way decent. Leaks like a mother too. Still waiting on a PM/call back from ya'll about getting another Y-Pipe coming...

Turk
Old 07-14-2011, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

with all the problems people have with these i wish someone would do a how to with pics. of approx. where to line up the pipes, cause for me its not to easy, and does not just fall into place.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:57 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now I have seen numerous issues with the newer Hooker headers, even though Hooker swears nothing changed over the years, lining up to every aftermarket piece we make. Strange thing is we have NEVER had a single car come in that we couldn't install any of ours on without issue (triple negative there, impressive). But, the majority of our installs are TSP or Pacesetter headers. We also have plenty of dealers that install our stuff every day and they don't have problems.

Can you get any good pictures from underneath the car of how you're trying to line them up so I may be able to make suggestions, Brian?

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 07-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

got it! had to make some cuts though
Old 07-19-2011, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have to say my TSP catted y-pipe was a pain in the *** to install. (I have pacesetter coated headers). But I really think it's to be expected with any bolt on y-pipe.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:09 PM
10 Second Club

My TSP oryp had some fittment issues as well but I got it to work finally.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Same Prob hear, Hooker Comp LT's TPS catted Y-Pipe and Stock cat back.
Spent the better part of the day mooving things arownd to keep from cuting... but I ended up having to cut about a inch off the Y Pipe by the drivers side kik downe before the cat if i remember right. but then culd not get it to cunect to the I pipe! So I marked wher the pipes needed to line up & pold it back apart & put just the Y part of the Y-pipe on the I pipe, then first got the dr side in to the Y buy pushing it ferther on to the header (that was the tite side) then the pas side with the cat slid up as far as it wuld go all well pushing on the Y with my feet to get it together.. But it's still was to long & is pushing back my cat back to the point that its radiling the heat sheald on & off Rilly wish all the parts or @ least the cats wer unwelded then i culd have fit it better :/ then for the tunil brace i used some 1/2" box tubeing to make spacers. I still need to weld a tab on the Y-pipe for the trany mownt.
had it all nice & seald for about 2 days

step downe pipe on the Dr Side (on the L in the photo) is the one I had to trim & maybe by the Cat same side also. IIRC
( TSP U culd titen up the pipe joints.. but I think the Hookers are just made with inconsistencies, thus the fitment ishus )

Making a step in the clamp for the Dr side Cat, thear was less than a In" of Pipe to clamp on to. probly shuld just weld it but thats the one thats not leaking

And all buttoned up!!
I dont think the merg has goten hit yet just the step downe pipe & cats mostly the rear most cat & step downe has goten the worst of the hits. TSP is ther any way to make the step down part of the pipe oval? I Flatened it a lit but not enuff...

George #4

Last edited by gorr4; 07-25-2011 at 09:37 AM. Reason: I'l edit in some pix later.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:20 PM
10 Second Club

are you guys trying to install it all assembled? Ive never had a problem with either of the 2 ive used going on, just gotta do it 1 piece at a time. It took a little time to fit over here while holding over there to not lose adjustment, but it went on fine and I would order another one without hesitation if I ever need another one.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's pretty much a 50/50 shot if a TSP y-pipe is going to fit or not
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...come-vote.html
Old 07-23-2011, 05:26 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the merge, but it hangs way too low.. its tucked up real close and it still too low... you gotta modify the y pipe so it doesnt crape a lot.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

same issue here. PITA to get the catted Y together. a couple of spots are barely together. i mean it fits great when you put it all together off the car. but once you put piece by piece under the car to the header its a puzzle that just doesnt fit that easy. im having an issue now tryin to get my cat back lined up so that its enough forward to fit. seems like the ypipe pushed everything back.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lil-bit
same issue here. PITA to get the catted Y together. a couple of spots are barely together. i mean it fits great when you put it all together off the car. but once you put piece by piece under the car to the header its a puzzle that just doesnt fit that easy. im having an issue now tryin to get my cat back lined up so that its enough forward to fit. seems like the ypipe pushed everything back.
same i had to cut like 2" off 1 side & 1" off the outher... it was still a pane to get my cat-back back on. culdent do it with the Y pipe together. think i put the merg on the I pipe then with the pas cat slid all the way up the header i was abil to get the the Dr side on to the merg pipe & slide the pas side back off the header to the mearg. I mesed with mine agen a few days ago, removed all the band clamps & addid mufler patch tape on the joints ( thers allmost a 1/16" gap on my pipe joints ) & replaced band clamps then losend the I pipe & beat it on more hiting it with a 5lb slege back by the rear end (i was pised) & readjusted the rear hangers but it seames to be sealed better now & the mufler is not hiting the the heat sheald so much now, it was driving me up the wall :/ but so far i think I'v only herd it radil 2 times so far good luck.

Quick Reply: tsp catted y-pipe?