Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best y-pipe for stock manifolds. Most horsepower???

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best y-pipe for stock manifolds. Most horsepower???

I want a new ypipe on my trans am. What gets the most horsepower? Im not getting headers so i need one that fits stock manifolds
Old 08-15-2011, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you waste your time and $$ with just a y pipe?
Old 08-15-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MYLSWON-ws6
I want a new ypipe on my trans am. What gets the most horsepower? Im not getting headers so i need one that fits stock manifolds

It seems you need to catch on your reading here.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have cats then the Y-pipe means nothing. Even with them gutted
I gained nothing from the SLP Y, which is a perfectly good piece of pipe.
Your problems are elsewhere.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah don't worry about a Y-pipe for stock manifolds.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

If you pair it up with a good flowing exhaust a larger y pipe is much better than the pancake exhaust you have . . . I have the SLP y pipe and at some point i'll be adding the LM1 to my car
Old 08-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Teching In

It kinda pisses me off when someone thinks they know everything when replying to someones thread and respond by saying your wasting your time or buy aftermarket.

I will first say that I don't know everything and never will,,,but I will say that I know for a fact that replacing the factory crushed pipe on the drivers side of the y-pipe along with removing the convertors I lost 4tenths and gained 3mph in the 1/4 without a tune and using the factory EGR manifolds, factory modified y-pipe, and Caspers O2 simulators.

I did this to my 1999 Z28 M6 that I bought new in 1999,,,this was before the LS6 intake,,before the FAST intake,, hell before alot of this aftermarket stuff that is out today,,,and back when longtube headers and y-pipe cost almost a thousand dallors which in some coses still does today,,and back then it was almost impossible to find anyone that could even tune these cars muchless try to tune them in the area I lived in.

Actually the car dynoed 304hp and 313tq untuned at Atlanta Dyno and chassis when they were located in Duluth Ga and I think they used a mustang dyno back then.

If I can remember correctly I had spent about $150 for the above modifications which is alot cheaper than you can buy headers and a y-pipe for back then and today.

Also I didn't have much money to throw around back then which might be the same case for the OP. Wait a second I still don't have alot of money to throw around

Anyways OP I suggest just modifying the factory Y-Pipe because I have seen real life track results with a car I owned,,, not a friends,,or someone elses car.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it makes a difference you wont notice anything except maybe a sensation of going faster due to being louder

Quick Reply: Best y-pipe for stock manifolds. Most horsepower???